2012 Olympics Opening Ceremonies [live commentary on British time]

What with Mitt Romney’s comments about the Olympics in the last few days, a paean to public health care almost comes off as a dig at him. (I realise of course that it isn’t, having certainly been planned months ago.)

ZOMBIE NURSES! UNHOLY DARK MONSTERS TOWERING OVER YOU! MARY POPPINS PARACHUTE CORPS!

HOLY shit, this is beyond fucked up!

This is a proper trip!

I’m in California, so the NBC broadcast doesn’t start for another 6 hours or so, but after reading the comments here there’s no way I’m going to miss this (not that I was likely to miss it anyway…)

I chose the wrong day to quit sniffing glue.

Congratulations Danny Boyle ! You have created something that is going to be ridiculed for decades!!

Basically: fuck the military precision of Beijing - this is kind of the Pink Floyd of Opening Ceremonies.

Great tribute to the NHS.

Rowan Atkinson! Hilarious!

Oh come on, this is nowhere near as bad as a lot had feared (or hoped…).

Rowan atkinson playing synthesizer!!!

For chariots of fire!!

OK, he is worth watching, at least.

Yeah, this sounds promising!

What are you talking about? I domn’t want to leave the room!

I don’t want to leave the room either, because I cannot believe what I am seeing. I want to see if it can get more bizarre, weirder, stranger, more fucked-up.

This is history in the making. Never before has such a glorious collection of WTF-ularity been put together for the whole world to see.

I think I want another beer. Or twelve.

In other news, whatever Danny Boyle was smoking when he was designing the opening ceremony, I WANT SOME.

I am not leaving the room either. I haven’t laughed so hard in a while…

And someone is going to have to explain the latest one to me. Is this based on some kind of TV show ?

I 'spose if you’re a Brit, Rowan Atkinson is funny…But there are a couple billion people watching this right now, who’ve never heard of the guy.

They turned on the TV expecting to see, well, …not this !!

(and as I type this, they’re playing a Beatles classic (“She loves you”)–which is fine…So why the f… did the camera cut to a video of a falcon (hawk?) ?

Huh???

So which phone manufacturer managed to get their product in two parts of the show in a row? Mr Bean, then the teenage swarm.

You say that as if it’s a bad thing!

I’m finding it quite entertaining. The Queen jumping out of the helicopter and Rowan Atkinson playing the synth especially had me rolling.

Lots of Blackadder fans right here on the Dope. And a lot of people like Mr. Bean.

Would spoilers, or at least warnings, be too much to ask for? I can’t see it for a few hours yet.

It’s official. Punk is dead.