24 - Season 3, Episode 21, 9:00AM - 10:00AM (SPOILERS)

Well, okay… me, too. But I was just feeling lazy… :wink:

I was also getting my hopes up a little too much when Jack had the gun on Chloe… :smiley:

In season one, Jack only seemed to be following orders, while all the while working to save Palmer and catch the bad guys. In season two, when he went rogue, he did it because he felt it was necessary to help the US, even at personal cost to himself; it was an act of patriotism.

What Tony has done is different. He is colluding with a terrorist, , first by freeing him and second by freeing his daughter, both of which are aiding Saunders in committing terrorism against the US, and his motive is purely personal. While I sympathize, I stand by my call that this is treason.

Now, this being 24, I doubt they’re going let matters continue as is, and I suspect we’ll be seeing Tony redeem himself, possibly by sacrificing himself to save Michelle or give Jack a chance to save the day. And I stuck the (apparently) in there, because there’s always the possibility that this is all part of some larger scheme that we haven’t been made aware of.

This is why I keep saying that Tony should have let Jack in on the problem from the get-go. Jack is much better able to pretend to go rogue and “follow orders” from the bad guy but still track him at the same time and stall long enough to save the hostage and get the baddie.

Tony’s has the same motive that Jack did in season 1 (kidnapped wife), but Tony’s just not Jack. And I don’t disagree about it being treason – sure it is! I just said don’t be too sure as to the consequences. I’m guessing that from the circumstances, he may be forgiven (as long as they get Saunders).

I still say Tony’s smart play still would have been to enlist Jack’s aid, because Tony’s just not good enough to handle this kind of situation. Jack is.

Decent episode. My thoughts on where they could take this story line:

1. Tony dies honorably trying to save his wife.
  2. Jack kills Tony’s wife himself, or stops Tony from saving her. Tony goes bonkers and turns rogue, and becomes the next bad guy.
  3. Tony and Jack save the day, and then Tony is arrested and gets hauled off to prison. Major cliffhanger for next season - which opens up with Tony back at CTU and the whole jail thing mentioned only in passing…

Ah, I see. My prediction concerning the consequences was a jab at what usually happens with traitors (Nina, Sherry) on this show–they somehow go free and come back as a villain the next year.

I tell you what though - I’m about sick of all the techno babble on that show. When even my SO - I love her dearly, but she doesn’t know jack (heh) about computers - starts laughing out loud about the “no-name” account Tony logged in with to delete the sat frames… Well, that should tell you something. I’m willing to suspend belief for many things - like how the tiniest bit of information can be “enhanced” into a high-res picture or how CTU can break 128-bit encryption in under 2 minutes - but that thing about the account pushed it too far…

Actually, I thought the same thing before I dropped in here. But c’mon, that would be too damm formula. They wouldn’t repeat that again. No, Tony has to die for this stupidity.

Him and his wife are government agents. They are supposed to be ready to face death, their own, each others or anyone else in their group if necessary without flinching. When Saunders first called Tony to misdirect his men, Tony should have said “Ain’t going to happen Stevie boy. This is how it’s going to go down - You walk out the front door and give up peacefully now, call off all your people and return Michelle, otherwise, I will personally slit Jane’s throat and make sure you get the video of me doing so. So what’s it gonna be”?

Tony told Adam he was no longer in charge and had stepped down when Adam stumbled on him in one of the corridors. So why did Adam give him the master password to the Tech 1 room when Tony asked for it??? Why isn’t there a failsafe override in this room to allow someone to get out? What happens if there were a fire?

CTU has the be the most poorly run organization in [TV] government history. I mean how many times can a mole infiltrate or an agent get compromised in the same organization? How many “back-doors” are there in their software? Seems like everyone has an override password or a way to permanently delete information whenever they want to. And given their history, how could any boss (above Tony) allow them to put only one or two guards on the most important prisoner they have, someone who might be instrumental in preventing 50 million people from getting killed? Given the gravity of this situation, how could someone, even Tony, manage to make it all the way out of CTU with the prisoner in toe, get in a car and drive away with absolutely no interference? Why wasn’t the place locked down as soon as Jane was inside? Oh, what’s the use, sigh. Tony would just say, “Hey, I’M Tony Alemeda, open sez me”!

This was a really dumb episode!

Frankly, it shouldn’t have even gotten that far. I don’t know why Tony talked to Saunders at all last week. The whole exchange should have gone something like this:

Saunders: Hello Mr. Almeda. This is Stephen Saunders. I know you’re men have me surrounded, but I think there’s something you’ll want to see. Go to a computer and open a web port on IP address 223.187.12.36

Tony: No.

Click

I was just going to say that I thought it would be nifty if Tony did go rogue and team up with Nina since they too share a lovers’ past.

Then I remembered the 3 new orifices that Jack gave her.

So Sherry expects to be accused of murder so she can get her husband out of office, and then I imagine get a presidential pardon and be appointed to the new president’s staff? Hiring a known killer who had ties to the previous administration? How were they planning on keeping THAT out of the media? Did I miss something?

I was wondering that, too.

"You’re going to prison for a long time.

“I know. So I’m in your cabinet next year, right?”

“Yep!”

Or maybe this happens.

Jack has a rifle trained on Michelle and Saunders, who is holding a gun on Michelle. Michelle’s body blocks any shot at Saunders. Saunders in on the phone to Jack.

Saunders: Release my daughter immediately or Michelle dies.

Jack: (shoots Michelle through the heart) No.

“Shoot the hostage. Go for the good wound, it takes them out of the equation.”

Actually, Jack’s record with the saving the damsel part isn’t so great. His wife getting iced and all in the first season. Last season he was about to give up Kate. He was ready to let the bad guy take her away in a trunk knowing that he intended to kill her. No, tell Jack and Michelle dies. He can save the world, the President, and himself. But the women not so much.

Cool episode. Interestingly, I was channel surfing earlier and I watched part of a VH1 special which aired commercials that are banned in the US for being to risque/sexual. One of them features our very own Saunders at a sperm bank. He was unable to fill the cup, as it were, until he grabs a motorcycle magazine. It looked like a damn pint glass that he dropped off to the aroused nurse. He looked like some unshowered LA hip-cat fresh off of getting loaded. Cracked me up. I’m sure it was him.

Tony is done at CTU for sure. He’ll be lucky to make it out of this season alive. I wonder, if they send Tony to jail - will Michelle stay on? I loved the exchange between him and Jack. “No, Tony. You made 2.” Awesome.

The last split panel was really cool as well. Jack just saying “Son of a bitch” gave me happy goose bumps. Funstuff. Now I am going to talk about the previews for a moment. I detest the spoiler boxes of ugliness, so I will rely on peoples ability to read insted. SPOILER

SPOILER

Damn, Tony. That comment to Jack next week! “Just because you sacrificed your wife for this job doesn’t mean that I’m willing to sacrifice mine.” Ho! I hope he smacks the shit out of you for that one. Way out of line. How quickly we forget that Jack can break you with ease you throat patch hobbled mother fucker.

END SPOILER

DaLovin’ Dj

Yes you did miss something. The plan is to force David to drop out of the election. The reason he would do this is to prevent Sherri from going public with the evidence. So, if her scheme works out as planned, David drops out in return for the pill bottle, and she never gets arrested because she never gave it to the cops. She gets hired to the White House staff and no one is ever the wiser . . .

So I guess they’re just assuming the police won’t be able to make anything stick without the pill bottle…

Yeah. As it stands, the only evidence they have which implicates Sherri is the testimony of the Milliken slut. Being as that testimony is refuted by Sherri’s alibi (backed up by the Prez), they don’t have enough to even arrest her, never mind try her for a crime . . .

Refresh me here - does Sherry know that President Palmer only told the police chief that Sherry was at the LA field office that night and that Palmer never specified when?

I just don’t see why it would be so difficult for Palmer to say “look, I told the cops she was there that night - which was true - but was never asked when she was there. Also, since we had a maniac running around threatening to release a virus I was too busy to get into details with the police chief or address the issue of the murder properly.”

somehow, i think all you guys are underestimating Palmer a bit. i rather recall that, when the local police commissioner (or whoever he was) asked him if he could verify Sherri’s alibi , he gave what seemed to be a definitive, but actually ambiguous answer, something on the lines of “I was with her this evening.” my money is on him having phrased it with enough wiggle room, so he can later say, with plausible deniability, “I said I was with Sherri during the course of the evening… I didn’t say I was with her at the time in question.” i’m thinking he has every intention of denouncing her as soon as some of the current smoke from bigger fires has cleared. he KNOWS she’s a snake, and if he doesn’t get her behind bars soon, she’ll be back like a bad case of VD to try and blackmail him so she can get back into a position of power.

well, that’s what happens when you take too long correcting your typos and coding goofs. i SWEAR i posted this independently.

:: pout ::

Not me. I’m sure that Sherri’s plan is going to be foiled. She can’t beat David - she never could.

DaLovin’ Dj