24 - Season 3, Episode 8, 8:00PM - 9:00PM (SPOILERS)

I love how bad guys keep unloaded guns all over the place–in case they need to test loyalties or something.

As for keeping the president out of the loop, I always kinda figured this happened more often than one might think. You know, plausible deniability and all.

S1215:
I didn’t see the first season, but Chappelle was a major a-hole in season 2.

Jar Jar… that made me laugh.

According to the same AICN spoiler Nina and her terrorist buds are going to outbid Ramon and Hector for the virus and take off with it after an armed confrontation. Ramon then shoots Hector and tells Jack that he has 24 hours to get the virus and bring it to him or he will be killed.

What is AICN?

AICN=aintitcool.com

Ain’t It Cool News is a formerly good website for movie/tv rumors which has fallen into its own hype that it makes or breaks Hollywood. YMMV

Sorry, minor correction… Ramon will tell Jack that he has an HOUR to get the virus back, I think, not of course 24 hours.

I sure hope they have a good excuse for her not being in custody!

Some of these spoiler boxes seem to contain nothing but speculation. Folks, it’s not a spoiler if it’s just something you think MIGHT happen.

It is if it’s what you think might happen based on what you saw in the preview for next week’s episode.

By the way, this episode was great. Screw continuity and logic, just have fun!

So much of this episode just doesn’t pass the laugh test.

First, Tony and Jack are not only running a secret op without telling Palmer, they lied to his face. I know the show is trying to float the idea that they’re trying to “protect” Palmer, but I’m sorry, you just don’t gaslight the president like that, especially in a way that gets a bunch of people pointlessly killed. I hoped a guy like Palmer would have immediately had everyone involved either arrested or shot and put Ryan Chappelle in charge. But we can’t have Asshole Boss Guy in charge because…he might report to his superiors and do his fucking job. Gasp! But McBain, I mean Jack Bauer, doesn’t have time for the rules, man! The more the show makes me try to hate Ryan, the more I sympathize with him. Wow, he actually wanted the acting head of a counter terrorism unit actually stay at her job during a national emergency that might cost millions of lives and after finding a mole in that unit, one that she was going to leave in charge. What an asshole!

Speaking of Michelle, I find it utterly unbelievable that she wasn’t in on it. Sure, we see husbands keep stuff from their wives all the time and it stirs up some of that Dramatic Domestic Tension. If your wife has a different occupation or works for a different agency, fine, makes sense, but when that wife does the same damn job as you do, she would have been the perfect person to bring into the plan. I would have picked her over the new guy, it seems like a no brainer. Maybe he’ll try to say he was trying to “protect” her, but if he gets fired, I’m sure she’ll get sacked too as a security risk.

And oh am I so tired of Chase Edmonds, who manages to be an asshole and a boy scout simultaneously. The whole landing scene was paint by numbers. Guiterrez can’t find Edmonds in the plane, Edmonds has to sneak up on him so the audience can see that Chase is That Good. And Guiterrez bites it The Moment Before He Reveals the Crucial Information. Chase, if you had just listened to Asshole Boss Guy and reported back to CTU, you know, do your fucking job!, you wouldn’t be in this mess and nearly decorating the Salazars’ foyer with your brains.

This real time thing has gone past the point of credibility too. I understand that something exciting has to happen each hour, and we can’t have “Tonight on 24, Jack and the Salazars play canasta while waiting for the Ukranians to call.” But surely some of it can wait until the next hour. I can let some things go, like Tony making it from the hospital to CTU in L.A. traffic during the commercial break. But a woman who is the only witness to her ex husband’s suicide, a man that she had motive o’plenty to kill after what he had done, and as another poster noted, her prints are all over that gun… And from the 911 call to the time she made it back to the prez, a little more than half an hour had passed. I’ve had traffic stops that lasted longer than that!

Poor Palmer, he torpedoes his campaign during the debate for her, and this is the thanks he gets. But she must have thought about this decision for a long time, perhaps during the 3 or 4 minutes she had when she wasn’t watching a guy kill himself or talk to the cops about it. In all fairness, I liked the scene with her and her ex, it worked really well, I thought.

Another scene I liked despite myself and my sense of disbelief was Jack being confronted with Chase. While I would have preferred Brain Splattered Chase, I knew that wasn’t going to happen. Jack mumbled all the movie cliches he could think of (a hostage? please) but Ramon wouldn’t have any of it. As well as it worked, it made no sense. I mean, doesn’t everyone keep an unloaded gun in a box near the door for eventualities like this one? I know I do.

Pssst. Gamaliel, it’s fiction. Better yet, it’s stupid fiction. It’s meant to be fun, not plausible. Stop thinking so much.

Sorry, but I gotta agree with Gamaliel on a lot of points. The whole op to try and get Bauer back in si unbeleivably complicated and quite honestly nonsense. The interception of a major viral threat is kept secret amopngst a handful of agents who develop some incredibly convuluted plan involving the NIH, a prison break, etc. Not to mention the fact that even if they intercept the virus at this point what guarantee do they have there isn’t more. Yes, it’s fiction, but that doesn’t mean it is given an automatic free pass.

Jack must have known the gun wasn’t loaded.

Ramon had already seen Jack shoot someone who gave him a gun to shoot someone else earlier this season. There is no way he would have given Jack a loaded gun, especially while he was in firing range, and Jack knew that.

Good call, Nightime – my whole thinking in that was, “Now how did Jack know the gun wasn’t loaded?” Because I think he knew… either that, or he’s really pissed at Chase! But your reason is a good one – we already had the game of Russian Roulette and saw the outcome.

Oh gosh – nowhere near that! It was episode 8 just before the Christmas break (just like this year) – the bomb went off at the end of episode 15 – which was in the spring – March, I think.

Although they did hit us with a big one last year on episode 8. That was the ending with the plane getting hit with the missile. Only ending that made me leap out of my chair. And then… “In three weeks, on an all new 24…” (Those bastards!)

So, just like last year – 2 weeks off – new episode on Jan. 6

Possible, but man, that’s a helluva gamble. I think that Jack would’ve shot Chase if he really needed to. Probably the hardest thing he’d ever have to do, considering their partnership and the Kim angle, but he would’ve.

“If he really needed to”?

I’d have leapt at the chance. What a sand-in-my-Vaseline personality.

At one point, the screen clearly read “Las Nieves, New Mexico”.

Have the caption boy shot.

I skipped season 2. Could someone please tell me what the plot with Sherry was last year?

Thanks.

I personally could not care less about the Palmer and his girlfriend breaking up and think that she has by far the weakest non-Kim storyline ever created by the show. It just makes no sense to me how some minor scandle about possibly lying about some prescription drug testing by his girlfriend (does the public even know they are dating, by the way) could hurt his candidacy when previously he so handily made it through a MURDER investagation involving his son.

And yes, the whole plot between Tony, Jack and the other agent is very contrived and hard to follow.  I know this show has never had a straight forward plot to follow, but this just seems a bit more of a stretch than before.  

Chapelle seems to be the only character in the last three seasons who has not advanced anywhere in his job.  He is still there just to act as the figure of authority and give Tony and Jack and whoever else someone to rebel against within CTU.  

In season two, Sherry plotted with people within Palmer's administration, without his knowledge, in planning a nuclear threat against the country that Palmer was supposed to stop at the last minture to look like a hero.  Something like that.  Its hard for me to remember the details.  Of course the plan goes bad and they end up with a real nuclear threat.

Maybe the companies Palmers g/f was involved with weren’t just testing prescription drugs? Maybe they were creating bioweapons?