24: Season 7: Episode 9 (4:00pm - 5:00pm)

Actually, I noticed it was more like “I’ll wait here in our Hyundai Genesis, the 2009 North American Car of the Year!” But slightly more subtle.

I haven’t paid attention to cars since the 1969 Ford Mustang GTO.

I can’t tell normally Honda from GM, myself; it’s just that they had a commercial for the all new award-winning 2009 Hyundai Genesis! immediately before the scene where Morris and Chloe are getting out of their car, and the camera makes a couple of quick little tight focus shots on the car’s logo…
And then they interspersed one frame of Kim Bauer nekkid.
OK, I made up that last part.

24 is not inspiring or especially creative this season, but it’s still quite entertaining. The FBI whack-a-mole is not terribly compelling, as there are three choices, and we don’t particularly care if it’s any of them; Janeane’s annoying, Nicky-Katt-lookalike is smug and annoying, and blonde affair girl is pretty much just a bland affair girl.

However, I like how they’re resolving silly subplots at a mile a minute; on a previous season of 24, I could see them dragging out the Marika-Samuel thing for ages, or spend a bunch of time having Jack win over Madame President. I like how the mole’s clever enough to use his FBI status to set up a perimeter that actually manages to hold Jack. I like how Jack’s essentially a psychopath now; he’s a lot harder than he was previously. He essentially snarls at Agent Rowrr for having doubts about torture, using innocent civilians as bait, etc. You really get the sense that all these years of being the hardest man alive has taken its toll, and he’s just this short of snapping entirely. I hope they actually take this somewhere and actually have him go too far by torturing someone to death or killing a bunch of innocent people (thinking they were terrorists).

Jack being wrong about something and doing something horrible would take this series in a new and better direction.

Can someone refresh my memory?. Why is it so desperate to keep Dubaku from leving the country? I mean I know he is a wanted criminal, but are we still in the arena of outside the law, now or never, shenanigans that are usually justified by the fact that millions of people might die? Is it to find the mole?

I guess this is the reason I found Jack’s rationale for asking the woman to do it was ridiculous. Because the driver might not tell us? Sure, I suppose, or you might not be able to track the girlfiend, or she might fuck it up becaue you know she is a citizen.

Bitch pleeze.

It’s to find the mole.

And, yeah, it does seem kind of weak. We’ve gone from “Stop the bad guy with the Magic Remote Control that can Destroy the World!” to “Stop the bad guy before he can…um…well…flee to Belize to live with his American honey (and her judgmental, handicapped sister, who will presumably suffer a tragically fatal boating accident in short order) on soon-to-be-ex-General Juma’s dime”.

I mean, yes, there is a mole. Moles. (Apparently disbanding CTU just caused them all to scurry off and burrow into other parts of the federal government.) But somehow it doesn’t seem really worthy of the “ticking time bomb” treatment that’s the hallmark of 24. What about just doing some good old-fashioned police work? You know there’s a mole (or moles); you know they’re in the pay of the Sangalans: Spend a few weeks digging through the bank accounts and cell phone records of the White House staff and other compromised federal agencies. Check to see which Special Assistant to the President is spending all his vacations in sunny Sangala and drives a Ferrari, or which Secret Service agent assigned to the Presidential Protection Detail has received a bunch of calls to his cell phone from those always suspicious “555” telephone numbers.

Perhaps there’s a lingering fear that Dubaku will try to orchestrate more terrorist attacks to influence Taylor’s foreign policy again. This can happen even when he’s in Belize. It’s still a pretty thin premise, though, as Taylor has shown that she’s unwilling to capitulate, even when her own husband is threatened.

As for outing the government moles, **MEBuckner **has got it right. Just sic Lester and Prezbo from The Wire on their paper trail and they’ll be uncovered soon enough.

Hours 10-24: Cross-Referencing Sketchy Financial Transactions!

• subplot: Bauer has to get his CPA in 5 hours or millions of innocent dollars will hide!

I suppose the justification would be that moles in the government could cause a lot of problems during the US invasion, potentially causing a lot more people to die than would have to. It definitely lacks the previous urgency, though, and putting an innocent’s woman at risk for the investigation is entirely unjustified for what should now be handled by law enforcement.

Oh well, we all know this is just the segue to the REAL crisis, of course.

So is the invasion of Sangalla now in progress?

I was cracking up at the “subtle” product placement there… too funny.

Probably not enough “sockets” that give her direct access to the White House and other useful and convenient data sources.

Jack cut off a witness’ head with a hacksaw in season 2. He straight up murdered a guy, cut his head off, and carried it around LA in a bag. You think he’s only a psycho now?

The Bad Guy told his girlfriend that they were going to Belize, but I assumed he was just telling her that because he did not want to say they were going to Sangala. Is there any reason to believe that that is where he is actually trying to go?

Yeah, I didn’t care to see him again. I really really really wanted Chloe to tell him, “Morris, just go home and get the laundry done, okay?”

I’d agree that this one doesn’t seem quite so urgent, given that his terror threat has been eliminated (for now). I suppose their rationale is that it’s the only way to uncover the “conspiracy” in government. Although, in the 24-universe, there’s always some shadowy conspiracy in government.

My solution? Let Dubaku just head back to Sangala, then wipe him out in the military action, along with General Jum and all his other little militants.

Someone remind me about Chloe’s kid. I mean, she writes macros instead of having sex, right? And he’s aging faster than Worf’s kid on Star Trek.

She was busy being pregnant last season. And it was all Miles’s fault.

-Joe

For some reason I got the impression that the plan really is to go to Belize. For one thing, Sangala is about to get invaded, and I thought it was somehow indicated that the wily Colonel Dubaku is bugging the heck out at this point.

I gotta pay more attention. I thought she was firing an automatic weapon last season.

That’s why the kind has that dent in his forehead.

-Joe

Ah.