A void has been filled: ladies and gentleman, Aldebaran!

Aldebaran, I don’t know who you’re trying to kid here. I graduated from a University with a very prominant multi-national population both in the student body, and in the faculty, many of whom (students and professors alike) can speak in excess of 5 languages. I currently speak only English fluently, however, I can get myself into trouble in French, German, Spanish, and Swahili. I know of a couple of students when I was involved in the International Students’ Union who spoke more languages than you.

One thing I have consistently seen is that the more a person studies the language of a country, that person knows more and more about the culture of that country. They also become much more openminded. I know from myself that I respect other countries cultures and philosophies much more than I was only speaking one language.

You’re so closeminded you have to stack your ideas vertically.

Where you’re from, I can’t say… but if everyone is just like you, no wonder the world is in the shape it is now.

Well, we know you speak French, you’re in a European time zone, you’re a little shaky on what passes for legitimate cites in Great Debates, and you’ve said twice so far that you’re going to sleep.

In the event that you weren’t being snarky in your last post, what I referred to by “Pot, kettle, you know the rest” is an English idiom – “That is the pot calling the kettle black,” meaning you are saying something about someone else which is actually true of you yourself.

For example, someone with a name that means “follower” implying that other people are followers.

I hope you have a restful night.

We know you don’t know the origins of your own handle.

This is true. But you don’t know a thing about me. The difference is that you have gone onto a public message board and made rude implications that all Americans are unsophisticated rubes who have never travelled, are all monoglots, raving Christians, and eager to force their religious beliefs on everyone else.

You seem to be afraid to share any information about yourself, but here’s some stuff about me. I’ve travelled on three continents, lived in the Middle East, studied four languages, I’m Jewish, and don’t give a shit what anyone else believes.

I know. They’re coming to take away my American citizenship any day now.

You throw a lot of accusations towards me.

Sorry to ask: where do you get the material for that?

Answer: In your imagination.
But I see that you are one of those people who introduce in postings of other what they like to see there, while there is nothing written of the kind an no intention of the kind you like to discover.

Oh well… Everyone is entitled to have a hobby. As long as you are amused and happy, why should I have objections you doint this?

Aldebaran.

On the contrary:

We know that you opposed the invasion of Iraq (as did many posters to this board).

We know that you don’t like Franklin Graham (few people on this board do).

We know that you are utterly ignorant of Christianity, particularly as it is practiced in North America, lumping all believers who are Protestant together as if there were not a wide variety of opinions, beliefs, and cultural viewpoints that divide the Protestants into multiple denominations.

We know that you like to make many wild claims without supporting any of your charges with references or citations to support them. (That is a point on which we frown, here.)

We know that your arrogance is unsupported by your demonstrated skills, such as they are.

Beyond that, there is not much that we need to know. Many posters actually protect their identitiers quite closely. We judge people on their contributions (or lack), not their birthplace.

Neurotik,

Ever heard of deceiving those who attack you to win the battle?

Aldebaran.

“Pretentious Jerk” is not a style. It’s more of a character flaw. “Ooh, I’m Aldebaran! I’m the most politically aware person in the world! I (almost) speak French and have an astronomy-themed username! I bet none of you have ever heard of the star Aldebaran!” (unless we’ve ever watched Star Trek, I guess :rolleyes: )

I think I’m going to stop paying attention to you now.

Who is this directed at?

How long until his next “I’m going to bed” post, hmmm?

I believe you misspelled a word there. Instead of spelling it “imagination,” it should be “my posts.” Hope this helps.

I don’t understand what’s the problem is. Are you illiterate? I wonder what attraction a forum like the Straight Dope pose to an illiterate. Are some of them staring at the screen even now, muttering, “Oh, I see, I see…visions amout those dots and dashes!”

No offense to any illiterate who happens to be reading this post

Me dumb-ass. Me no make fun of other poster very well. Read that:

Instead of spelling it “your imagination,” it should be "my posts."

Once again I have become the idiot I’m trying to mock. Sigh.

Around here, that’s called trolling.

Wrong again. I’m not in the very least ignorant of Christianity. My mother was Catholic.
I said that the type of Christianity the Graham sect belongs to is called PROTESTANT where I live and I said the the US has sects and divisions who don’t exists elswhere, yet the type of Christianity your president adheres is PROTESTANTISM. That is what I said.
If you want to come up with comments, try first to read what is written instead of inventing what isn’t there.

And where do I make “wild claims” and how can you know what I like or not?

And I have no clue what you are talking about here when using the word “arrogance”.
Sorry, but you are the one who come through as utterly arrogant to me. With your wild guessing, your assumptions, your unfounded and thus utterly arrogant attacks and your distortion of my posts until they fit your utterly arrogant attacks.

Well I’m sorry for you if that doesn’t work with we. But It doesn’t.

If you are open for discussions that is fine with me. If you are only out to “judge” people from the very minute they show up here, that shows me one thing: you think this website is yours and yours alone.

By the way: This last remark counts for everyone posting here.
Thank you for noticing.
We can make this a war or we can make fun and enjoy eachothers company. I prefer the latter. You all seems to prefer the first.
Is that some reflection of your president or are you all just too much indoctrinated by Fox Nexs.

Aldebaran.

What battle? What are you talking about? And how does trying to make people look stupid and then having it backfire in your face help you in anything?

I am intrigued by this new tactic. Please, carry on.

SG,

No, it is called winning the game.
Aldebaran.

The light are on, but ain`t nobody home… :rolleyes:

What a pitty wink-wink :smiley:

What game? What are you talking about?

I don’t try to make people look stupid. People attack me here, so I go in defense mode. Remember that in love and war everything is permitted?

I prefer love but since you people are here for war…
Aldebaran.