Accusations of racism, sexism, and homophobia

If he doesn’t say it, then you can’t know that he does. Pick one.

Ok, so then is it ok to say “you’re being racist” or would that be considered an insult.

To be honest, I don’t really see a difference between saying “you’re a racist” and “you’re being racist” but is the former considered a violation of the board’s rules while the latter isn’t?

False dichotomy, no I don’t have to pick one, yes I can know that he does.

I don’t have much to add to tomndebb’s comment. Calling a poster a racist, sexist, etc. is strongly discouraged because it’s a comment on the person rather than the idea. You get more leeway in describing a post or an idea.

It’s your dichotomy. If you don’t like it, the suggest another.

Ok, then would saying “you’re being racist/sexist/anti-Semite/homophobe” be considered a comment on the person and therefore a no-no or would it be considered a comment on their behavior and therefore considered acceptable?

To me, there is no real difference between saying “you’re a racist” and “you’re being racist” but I can see how others might disagree and would be worthwhile for us all to know whether it’s acceptable or not to say “you’re being racist” to another poster or not.

Thanks

I’ve been accused of homophobia before but my complaints went nowhere. So it depends on what the mods think about the thread in general (and if they are participating). You can say “your views are _______________”, and sometimes you’ll get called on it and sometimes you won’t.

So you can pretty much say, “You’re being __________” or “The things you say are ___________” and you may get a free pass. It’s also a nice way to distract a poster from their original point because now they’re defending themselves against a BS claim.

No, “you’re being ” is just about the same as “you are .” I don’t consider “you’re being stupid” much of an improvement over “you are stupid.”

Damn it, now that I’ve viewed that old thread, I see that sometimes a judge can’t rule on things he’s been involved in (re: the child-abuser judge), so I was right after all, but bumping it violates the rules, I think.

Right?

You’re a real hoot.

You mean I’m being a real hoot. :wink:

When your post begins with “you are…”, then it’s a comment about the person. Don’t say “you are”. It’s pretty simple.

You must dislike hoots the way I dislike gay people. :wink:

Thanks for the answer and FWIW I agree completely.

I was just asking because I could see how some people who like to split hairs and make a fuss over distinctions with little difference.

Because I’m an intelligent adult, I can tell from a person’s systematic, repeated actions how they feel. MAAAYBE being generous, 5% of racists I have ever encountered would meet your “Unless they say they hate (group) you can’t tell” BS criteria.

It is obvious from Chen’s posts that he hates Blacks since he posts negatively about them, off topic, repeatedly. He doesn’t have to say “I hate blacks” for it to be obvious, what is it about racism that makes your barrier so high? If someone drove a pink car, dressed in all pink, and said “I hope I can find a pink dress at the mall for the party this saturday”, you would be the pedant robot sitting there smugly saying “You cannot know that pink is one of her favorite colors unless she signs a sworn affidavit stating 'I, Jane consider Pink my favorite color”.

Human beings can draw conclusions about people’s feelings from their actions, which more often than not speak louder than words even.

As I see it, outside the Pit (specially in GD or Elections), you are clear to say the argument/position that [(whatever the argument or position is)] is a [N]ist/phobic argument/position” (for differring values of N, of course) and preferrably then add why you think so. But not to impugn the specific person’s character.

I find the ideas you present to be consistently hootish and thigh-slappy.

Saying “that’s a racist statement” is entirely different from saying “you’re a racist”. The former describes a random statement that the person may not have intended in a racist manner. The latter is based upon repeated and sustained hate speech that is clearly racially motivated. Before tagging somebody with the ‘racist’ or ‘pedophile’ or any other highly charged label, one should have a large number of cites to provide to substantiate the claim. He should also present this information to board moderation, rather than risk being warned or banned for presenting it publicly. My opinion, anyway.

If one of Those People moved into my neighborhood, I would sell my house immediately. They are hell on property values. Plus you never know when they’re going to steal something.

Or why. Damn those rich, devilishly handsome bastards.