Actors and Actresses Who Have "Played Themselves"?

Otto- the list is “pending verification.” I saw the movie & Capote is in it, playing a witness to the execution, & he has dialogue. It is the last scene. He plays a reporter, not sure if his name is used in movie.
Bobt- probably, I recall him sweeping the floor, but bartenders do that.
Hernandez was also in Seinfeld. Recall Don Drysdale from a Brady Bunch. I vaguely recall Gleason playing himself in a Honey Mooners
Ethilrist-Moore WAS a concert pianist.

Jamie Farr was a U.S. soldier in Korea, then went on to play Corporal Klinger in M.A.S.H.

Sammy Davis Jr was a rider in Bunker’s cab.

I’ve also seen In Cold Blood and I don’t believe Capote is in it, or if he is it’s not in a speaking role while on-screen. He was IRL a witness to the executions and he did watch the filming but I don’t believe he appeared on-screen. In addition to the IMDB listing for ICB and Capote’s own listing there, there is also no mention of Capote’s appearing on-screen in any of the biographical material I’ve read, but there is mention of Capote’s displeasure at the addition of a reporter character to the execution scenes.

Robert Clary, Cpl. LeBeau from Hogan’s Heros, was in a concentration camp in WWII, and went on to play a character in a POW camp in WWII (not identical to his real life, but close).

Paulie Walnuts from The Sopranos was a gangster (low level). I’d link you to The Smoking Gun page, but I can’t do that from work. Sorry.

Dean Martin plays a womanizing, alchohol-saturated, Vegas-performing superstar named “Dino” in Kiss Me Stupid

Robert Montgomery was a PT commander in They Were Expendable after serving as a PT commander in WWII.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar played himself for a moment on Airplane, when the kid told him that his dad said he only played hard during the playoffs. He was also carried out of the cockpit in a Laker uniform.

Paul Reubens (aka Pee-Wee Herman)!!!

Oh.

Wait a minute.

I thought you wanted Actors Who Have “Played with Themselves”…

Never mind. :smiley:

Otto- I saw it when it came out. So I may be wrong-now I’ll see it again.

Bob Smith-Wolfman Jack -in American Graffiti; Humble Harve -Harvey Miller - DJ in Hollywood Nights.(Wuhl’s 1st flic) ; DJ Alan Freed played himself in all his films.
Dodgers played themselves in Roogie’s Bump-Erskine, Meyer & Campy. Mantle & Maris & others played themselves in Safe at Home.

Jim Carrey’s latest, Bruce Almighty is basically the story of his career.

Some would say that Julia Roberts in Notting Hill is pretty much playing herself in that the character is a mega-movie star.

Sean Hayes’ character on Will & Grace often plays the piano as part of his shtick; Sean Hayes is a classically-trained pianist. (This could be the writers deciding that Sean has a talent, let’s exploit it; lots of shows do this.)

Harrison Ford in Witness helped the Amish raise a barn; he did some carpentry before/while getting into the film business.

Hugh Jackman really has adamantiu… wait, sorry.

Lots of examples from sports, like Pete Vuckovich playing the feared opposing team slugger in Major League. (Kinda funny in itself seeing as how he was a Cy Young pitcher, not a slugger).

I wondered why the crappy movie Driven had a scene of Estella Warren doing synchronized swimming, until I read her Bio on the IMDb and discovered that she was the Canadian National Champion for three years.

Jim Carrey is not God! :mad:

Likewise, Whitney Houston in The Bodyguard.

[sub]hey… I just noticed that if you’re quoting somebody and click on a smiley, it inserts the smiley at the end of the post, rather than where the cursor was. Learn something new every day…

Howard Stern, Baba Booey, Robin Quivers, Fred Norris and the whol “Whack Pack” in “Private Parts”.

In no way implying that he is. I am not a Jim Carrey fan in the least. I just meant that in the movie, his character …

is a funny guy who longs to be a Serious News Anchor, but then realises that it’s OK to be the funny guy because funny makes people feel good. Just like how in his career he was the funny plastic faced man who longs to be a Serious Dramatic Actor, but the realises that it’s OK to be the funny guy because funny makes people feel good.

Jennifer Grey played Jennifer Grey in Its like, you know…. The only redeeming feature of the show and I wish she was still on. :smiley:

I have to throw this in.

Michael Jordan in Space Jam.

Quite possibly the worst acting job of a person trying to play themself.

In the “playing themselves” spirit of the OP:

In the movie Slap Shot, David Hanson, Jeff Carlson, and Steve Carlson as Jack, Jeff, and Steve Hanson, respectively. On the DVD they it describe as “He’s Hanson (refering to David), and we’re brothers.” As well as Ned Dowd as “Oggie” Ogilthorpe, who was also the technical advisor for the film (and the brother of the screenwriter).

All four men were professional hockey players.

Also legendary DJ “The Real” Don Steele who appeared in movies like Rock ‘N’ Roll High School, Death Race 2000, and Grand Theft Auto usually played DJs/announcers/masters of ceremonies in most of his acting roles.

Car collector Jay Leno appeared on “Home Improvement” as the curator of a car collection.