Albums with songs you HAVE to skip

Genius Loves Company by Ray Charles, an album full of great cuts* except one: Hey Girl, his duet with Micheal McDonald. It’s never been a song I cared for, it’s out of Ray’s range, and it just doesn’t fit.

I skip it every time.

*Sinner’s Prayer with B.B. King, Heaven Help Us All with Gladys Knight, and Fever with Natalie Cole are nothing less than terrific!

Wilco’s A Ghost Is Born: I skip “Less Than You Think.” 15-minute track; the first three minutes is a song, and the rest is an electronic whine/buzz. No thanks.

Similarly, Tool’s Ænima: I skip “(-) Ions.” Sounds like a big piece of sheet metal being rippled, mixed with the sound of an electric Jacob’s Ladder apparatus.

This might not count, but there are a number of hip-hop albums with tracks that I skip either because the track is a skit or a song that contains a skit. I can’t stand hip-hop skits.

This is probably blasphemy, but despite having listened to Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band approximately seven billion times, I still hate “Within You Without You.” Not only do I not like it, I think it stops the (obviously otherwise perfect) album dead in its tracks.

I always skip “I Kissed a Girl” on Katy Perry’s One of the Boys. Lame single, but I love the rest of the album.

I usually skip “The What” on Biggie’s Ready 2 Die. Otherwise one of my favorite albums (although I also skip the blowjob skit because the slurping noises literally make me ill), but neither Biggie nor Meth are very good on the song, and the beat is just okay.

The number of albums I otherwise like that are burdened by a couple crappy tracks tacked on to the very end are too numerous to mention. There are tons of albums I stop a couple tracks early.

I did replace the thing with a CD a few years ago, but you’re still a mensch, In Winnipeg. :slight_smile:

Drawing Dead is both smooth and sublime, with the jazzy feelings just sort of washing through the music as it flows from track to track, if that made any sense. Except for Livin’ it Up. That song just gives me a headache.

Agreed. First time I heard it I was convinced someone was skinning a cat alive while playing a bagpipe.

I am soooo with you on that one! A giant clunker in an otherwise brilliant album.

I’ll add one more: “I Want You (She’s So Heavy)” on Abbey Road. If they had pared it down to four, or three, or even two minutes, I might tolerate it. As it is, I just skip it…TRM

The Stone Roses by, err, The Stone Roses is awesome. Truly, truly awesome. Possibly the best debut ever.

However, The Roses had this annoying tendency to “experiment” with backwards tracks. Loads of their singles had crappy attempts at this, but you kind of hoped they’d have left it there. But no, after the majesty of “Waterfall” comes “Don’t Stop”, where two of the tracks from “Waterfall” are replayed backwards and they try to make a song from it.

And predictably, it is awful.

Al Stewart’s Life Between the Wars. A wonderful album, full of songs ranging from melancholic to exuberant to vitriolic to chilling. But in the midst of all that, there are two instrumental tracks by Lawrence Juber that are just … bad. Really, really bad. I can listen to the album again and again, but I have to skip those tracks.

(Okay, that’s two tracks instead of one – but there’s a powerful common thread between the two: they’re the only tracks that aren’t actually by Al Stewart himself.)

Another Queen one - Bring Back That Leroy Brown, IMHO, detracts from the otherwise brilliant Sheer Heart Attack.

I’m not usually into folk music, but I find the *O Brother, Where Art Thou *soundtrack great listening. EXCEPT the whiny, nasal children singing In the Highways. It’s making my teeth itch just thinking of it.

Don’t own that album but what I’ve heard from it is good. But whatever the backwards track is has to be better than the hidden track from Second Coming. I almost mentioned it here, especially since I used to love the rest of the tracks on that album, but thought hidden tracks went against the spirit (Beck notwithstanding, since his are appended to the last track rather than separate and come very close to the end of the real song.)

There is a better, more evenhanded and more soulful cut of that song on one of the boxed sets (I think it’s Biograph but I’m not sure).

J-Tull Dot Com

Hot Mango Flush

Yuck!

Frank Black has a bunch of awesome songs on Teenager of the Year, but he’s got a few bursts of sheer noise I’m not usually in the mood for.

I came in to mention this one. I usually skip “Less Than You Think” once the noise starts in, and then I play “The Late Greats” twice to make up for it.

Also on Wilco’s A.M. album, I have to skip the one track where John Stirratt does the vocals - he sounds like he’s trying too hard to be Neil Young (and failing miserably).

Weird Al Yankovic’s Straight Outa Lynwood “I’ll Sue Ya”. yuck.

The Beatles White Album is brilliant, except for “Revolution 9”. Back before MP3’s, when everyone made cassette mix tapes, everyone left that piece of crap off.

Ry Cooder’s Paris, Texas is too short to begin with if you’re in the mood for moody, melancholy atmospheric slide guitar, but Track 9 - I Know These People - just doesn’t fit at all. I know it’s of vital significance to the movie, but it’s out of place in the soundtrack and deserves to be skipped.

The Nields are (were) a folk group that’s pretty popular in the New England area. Their first(?) album, “Bob on the Ceiling” was a mix of catchy harmonies, sort of poppy songwriting and existential angst with a bit of social commentary. Very listenable. With the exception of the truly vile “Boys will be boys”. It’s kind of hard to describe, but you can read the lyrics here. Think “Excitable Boy”, but without the whimsy.