Aldebaran has been banned

The board will be a little bit different tonight–for better or for worse. :frowning:

Bummer. I wish he could have toned it down a bit, as he did offer an interesting perspective.

Well, I can’t say he wasn’t warned or that I didn’t think it was forthcoming. :frowning:

As usual, I am against banning any well established posters who have made significant contributions- despite their errors and peccadillos. This includes Aldebaran. I think none here will deny that he did make those significant contributions.

Sorry dude. By the rules, you had it coming. I wish the rules were different. :frowning:

However- thanks Ed. I do like this for the well established posters. It brings some closure, and it is in some odd way a small gesture of respect- it seems to be saying “You did contribute, and we are sorry we had to ban you”. I hope you continue this. Someday, when/if I am banned, I hope I get a thread like this, too.

I told him to chill in that megathread. He didn’t.
I’m not surprised, ashe was playing the victim/martyr card with 19 on the table and still insisting on hitting. It’s a shame that he didn’t cool down. I never saw him as a troll, confrontational or not.
But he made a very vital contribution to these boards, voicing an opinion that is not often heard.

And I do think he had a point in cqalling out guadere for double standards. i really wish the mods would respond to that issue, i,e, why it’s ok to say that “I want to turn Iraq to a puddle of radioactive glass”, while it’s not ok - or cool - to say that “I want to join the resistence and chase out the US invaders”. No games of semantics. It just feels wrong.

I know that part should be in the pit. And it will be, unless I get some answers.

The mods DID respond to that issue here:

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showpost.php?p=5653846&postcount=287

I’m very sorry to hear this.

That Ed Zotti would announce this makes me believe that the admins took this particular case very seriously. A difficult case this must have been.

Not a surprise, but still lamentable.

WRS/Thû

I’m both sad and relieved at the banning of Aldebaran.

Relieved because I always felt as if I were walking on egg shells when he was in a thread-he seemed to take everything so personally, had a huge persecution complex, and I never what would cause him to blow.
Sad, because I think this will only feed into his martyrdom, and because when he wasn’t flipping out, he actually provided a valuable insight. I’m also sad he had to go out flaming right on the cusp of the New Year.

Thank you for a thoughtful announcement on the matter.

Does each poster get the same amount of warnings? Is it different in each case?

Suggestion: All future banning announcement in ATMB include a concluding paragraph about what sort of follow-up is allowed in the ATMB thread and what should be taken to the Pit, if one feels the need to go that route.

Peace.

What’s wrong with just following the normal forum rules?

Because if it’s obvious why you’re banned, you don’t get a thread. You have to be an established poster who’s made a contribution that might make people wonder what had happened.

And in those cases, a banning does warrant discussion.

I’m disappointed. Not in the banning; that was a clean call. I’m disappointed in Aldebaran. He brought a different point of view, and he usually did so in an intelligent manner. He clearly went over the edge in his last few days, though. He pulled the rug out from under his own feet. I’m sad that he went out in a spray of his own hatred.

Well, one hopes that all would simply do just that, however, the nature of these threads may call for a warning sign because:

1. The Bannees usually have people emotionally involved in them, for the good or for the bad. And when an open thread on the Bannee appears in ATMB, a quick emotional response is likely. But many of those responses would be inappropriate for ATMB.

2. Discussing a Bannee without it turning into a pile-on for their bad behavior (for those anti-Bannee) or a questioning or complaint of their banning (for those pro-Bannee) is quite difficult. It would be hard to discern where to draw lines. Reminding everyone to go to the Pit would keep questionable posts in the Pit. Better to err on the side of caution.

It’s like a very visible sharp curve in the road. Normal driver caution should be sufficient, but we usually put up a warning sign as extra insurance.

Peace.

Not happy about this.

I understand, but still not happy.

Poor show mods.

You have to realise that when someone represents a valid but deeply unpopular viewpoint that coming on here is like walking into a fire-hose in full-on torrent.

What happens is that they get so much antipathy poured their way that they can be excused for perhaps over-reacting in reply.

Aldeberan holds some opinions that deeply rile the consensus on this board, and as such received a literally hysterical level of antipathy - and frankly responded way better than most of his opponents would if the situation was reversed.

You may not see this banning as censorship - but that’s what it looks like from here.

Poor show again.

By the way, Mehitabel’s bizarre and disturbing obsession with the man should also be taken into account. I know that would drive me over the edge.

And Alderbaran warants that discuusion for sure…

I think Aldebaran showed considerable bravery joining this mainly American board and expressing often unpopular opinions, knowing he would come in for some pretty harsh criticism. I am sure that his views are held by millions of others too, so he brought some balance to the debates here.
It’s not surprising that some of the more “gung-ho” sentiments posted here would enrage him, but I hope he also noticed that not everyone had those sentiments. I think it’s a shame he’s been banned but he was given some leeway, as I understand it, and in the end it seemed inevitable.
I think it was the correct decision by the moderators, the rules have to be adhered to, but I think it’s a loss to the boards that his opposing viewpoint will no longer be heard.