American Girls Names = British Boys Names?

(My underlining)

I’d be surprised if this is true, as I’ve never heard of this, and to the best of my knowledge Julie is the feminine version of Julian - you gotta cite?

Julie :slight_smile:

No cite, Julie, but my understanding is that “Julie” originated as a diminutive for “Julian” or “Julius” in the same way that “Christy” was a diminutive for “Christopher” or “Christian.” So far as I know, the standard feminine form of Julius or Julian is “Julia.”

I’ve seen/heard ‘Ginger’ used as a nickname, presumably due to red hair and related features. Cream’s drummer was called Ginger but his real name was Peter. The name also appears in a couple of P.G. Wodehouse stories, again as a nickname.

Though the recent popularity of “Madison” as a girl’s name is probably due to the movie Splash, I’ve heard that upper class families in the northeastern U.S. sometimes give family names like Madison or Campbell to girls, and that this is a longstanding tradition.

When my son was born, we hadn’t come up with names. I suggested “Morgan” (as in Morgan O’Rourke, the sergeant in F-Troop). Imagine my suprise when my wife and step-daughter insisted that Morgan is a girl’s name.

So add Morgan to the list.

Well, there’s Morgan the Goat (played by Colm Meany) from that Hugh Grant movie.

And there’s Morgan le Fay, King Arthur’s sister and nemesis.

What gender was it in the original British/Welsh culture?

In my pa’s generation, (I was born in 1949) I know a Sherrill, a Shirley, and a Judy, all men. Sidney, with a y or an i, shows up in both genders.

The spellings tend to get changed so Adrian would definitely be a bloke, but Adrienne would be a woman, and so on.

Randy is more of an adjective unless your parents were dead posh and called you Randoplh.

I once shared an office with a male Tracy. Most people assumed I was him

The Welsh Morgan is masculine. As I recall Morgan le Fay is a corruption of Morgain or Morgana. That’s what a bloke who’d called his kids after Arthurian characters told me, anyway.

One might also add the names Sidney (or Sydney), Renee and Laverne to the list of names once used primarily by men but which are now commonly given to women.

As a generality, in The United States distinctive given names start out as masculine and then come to be applied to women over time. An outstanding example which comes to mind is “Kelly”. Robert Culp’s character on I Spy was named Kelly, but now the name is primarily associated with girls.

Heard a comedian on TV last week, and he said during his monologue that his Irish grandfather’s first name was Florence. He changed it to Frank for obvious reasons. Anyone ever heard of THAT name being used for a male?

As soon as I saw the thread title this is what I immediately thought of.

So are you saying that Vivian wasn’t a common name for a boy, because that seemed to be the joke in The Young Ones (i.e. that he had a girl’s name).

Vivian is a male name, Vivienne is female.
Gay Byrne is a famous (male) Irish chat show host.

:confused:

One of the network admins I regularly talk to in Richmond, VA is named Tiffany. Oh,… and he’s a guy. Poor bastard.

My name is Sue. How do you do.

V

I’m an American male named Leslie, but I changed it when I was a teenager.

It was fun getting beaten up as a little kid.

And, of course, as the nickname of Biggles’ trusty sidekick.

hey i am from da uk and i know girls that are called them names so y do u think that its not the care ma best matse are calle leslie robin and stacey stcaey is a girls name and alsweya have been it always will be so u are really chattin sum shit