Anathem, by Neil Stephenson

He only wrote one more series involving the families in Crytonomicon, the Baroque trilogy, which takes place during the late 17th century, is one of my favorite set of books and is close to 3,000 pages long and so will keep you busy for a while (I think they might have been broken up into smaller volumes in the paperback editions).

His other books are (to the best of my knowledge) unrelated sci-fi, and so can be read in whatever order. Snow Crash is probably the most well known. Anathem is the most recent.

Ah, I see, thanks.

Im just about a sixth of the way through now. So Neal is re-writing Umberto Eco’s The Name of the Rose and setting it on an alien planet? Interesting.

As a big Stephenson fan, I was completely underwhelmed. I see what he was trying to do, and I can handle the idea that these are not apples but we will call them apples for simplicity sake. But, I gave up the book when he had some background characters wearing what could only be a parody of certain styles of clothing worn by fans of the National Football League.

I might revisit it some other time, but it just did not hold my interest.

Well, its hard to write a “mysterious events at a monastery” story without it being reminiscent of Name of the Rose. It stops being so similar about halfway through. Actually, I found myself making comparisons to the Harry Potter books more then Name of the Rose. A bunch of young students trapped at an educational institution where the teachers are engaged in some sort of mysterious struggle seemed reminded me of the first few Potter books anyways.

I liked it, though part of the reason is that I’m a physics gradstudent, so the whole “physics department conceived as a closed off monastery” idea was probably more amusing to me then it might be to others.

I’m not done yet, but if I’m following Stephenson’s lectures sufficiently, our Earth is sort of downstream of Arbre in a sort of cascading series of alternate universes. So we would be kind of a template for universes further down. So some similarities could be expected.

Thanks for that, I will keep it mind should I return to the book. Which I probably will when I am in a better frame of mind. It seems a major departure from his earlier work, which usually does not bother me. But this did not seem to have his voice. I wonder if the non-renewal policy at the library (because it is so popular at the moment) made me feel rushed in picking up the story.

It’s written in the first person. In the voice of a naive monastic youth. I believe that’s two strikes already.

I think the setting is just too culturally remote. Stephenson’s books are just so much more colorful when they draw on the details and texture of our world. When he takes away Cap’n Crunch and Nippon and Isaac Newton and skateboarding and hacking and Mafia pizza delivery and replaces them with fraas and suurs and awkward circumlocutions of perfectly good philosophy terms, I can see that I like reading his books not for the core ideas but for the weird, offbeat, vivid writing and the great settings.

Was I the only one hoping that there would be a thinly-veiled Shaftoe or Waterhouse on the the spaceship? No reason why their universe couldn’t be dragged into the whole mess.

Really? It seemed to me that basically everything in Arbre (sp?) was a parody of something in the modern US.

So I finished it and generally enjoyed it quite a bit. BUT, I’ve got a question about the ending:

So was there some big point I missed? OK, there were lots of alternate timelines. Fraa Jad knew how to manipulate them. The millenarian Procians knew how to change memories or something. Basically, we learned who the Incanters and Rhaetors were. Which was pretty cool. But was there some other big subtle point being made?

Which is what I think turned me off. I have read a lot of science fiction and I am used to puzzling out strange settings, but he mixed the unfamiliar and familiar and was not entirely successful. As I think about it more, I believe it became too much work to convert made up terms to English equivalents. If he was just going to use the world he created to reflect modern society, just call them fathers and nuns and so on. Like I said, I can see what he was trying but it failed to hold me personally. Actually, between this and the Baroque cycle he has tried new forms, and I hope he continues to do it. I enjoy writers who challenge me, even if it is not always a success.

Yes, but filtering it through that the avout’s very dry, anthropological perspective just sucked the life out of it for me.

I am a huge Stephenson fan, and I enjoyed Anathem quite a bit. It took me awhile to get into the universe, but I really enjoyed it afterwards. I would rank his novels Diamond Age, Snow Crash, Anathem, Zodiac, Cryptonomicon, then the Baroque cycle in order of decreasing enjoyment.

Diamond Age is my favorite, and I read it 3-4 times a year.

His books starting from cryptonomicon onward require a second and third reading before I can really get into discussing it. Anthems first pass was a really relaxed sippin wiskey type book.its different from the shaftoeverse in that there is no jumping from one era to another, and back again. More focused in my opinion.

Probably on first reading ,my favourite part of the book is the assualt on the orbstack.

Declan

What? No love for The Big U? :smiley:

You got me, that is the one Neal Stephenson only novel that I haven’t read. (I haven’t read his two collaborations with J. Fredrick George either). Some day, if I ever see it in the bookstore I will pick it up :slight_smile:

Is this book the opening of a trilogy, or does it stand alone?

-FrL-

Stand alone.

Read the collaborations. Cobweb is a bit dated, well they both are to a certain degree. But I have found both to be very re-readable and either could be made in to a pretty good movie.

Loved the book, finished it today. I skipped parts 2 and 3 of the Baroque cycle so it’s a fair while since I’ve read NS – awesome reminder of what a talent he is. As an ivory tower denizen myself, it really resonated in places. Some random thoughts, no real spoilers:

I was well impressed with the style he put into handling the distopian elements of the story, ie Saecular society is dumber than owlshit, fed a metaphoric diet of explosions on the speely and a real diet of a euphoric (bit heavy –handed that) just to function. I’ve read other writers, Le Guin comes to mind, who would make a moralising pig’s arse of this type of story. NS has such wit and panache that he can pull it off.

It was also a great reminder of what a reader’s writer NS is. He falls over himself to explain things, cannot stop himself spelling stuff out. I usually prefer the opposite type of writer, the obfuscators and unreliable narrators, but his pedagogical style allows him to write really exceptional stories for the reader. A drawback to this IMO is that the style can lead to some really juvenile devices – the short descriptions of words that break up chapters is completely unnecessary. He’s a good enough writer that these terms can live and breathe in the story on their own.

I thought he backed away a lot from his initial rendering of the concents and their isolation. The first few chapters painted a picture of a complete and total dichotomy between the avout and the extramuros, when Raz is acting as an amenuensis with Orolo and Artisan Flec for example (Raz can barely speak Fluccish here). He’s happy to use this for comedic effect, like when Raz buys the protractor for Fraa Jad, but it falls to pieces as the book progresses, and people are sort of the same. I don’t think this is a failure of consistency of anything, he probably just thought that this was the best mechanism for moving the story along.

Speaking of the story, is NS getting his shit together of something? Pretty tight structure, decent ending. I preferred the first half of the book rather than the more action-packed second half, but thought he did a fine job on keeping things moving. Extremely skilful account of the attack on the orb-stack for example. That had potential to be a real yawner, but it wasn’t at all.

I was really let down by Quicksilver after Cryptonomicon, thought it was a highly retrograde step. Almost a cowardly one, as if he didn’t quite have the stones to join the big boys of the literary word so scurried back to his home turf of writing nerd-encyclopedias. Anathem won’t gain him any mainstream literary recognition, mores the pity, but it should. A great novel.