Animals nobody eats

Onna stick?

I don’t see anything in that article stating she sold gorilla meat, and a look through other online sources list giant African land snails, wild pig trotters, rat, and some kind of rodent known as “grass cutters.”

What about bats?

Through all of history, you would be hard-pressed to find an animal that someone hasn’t eaten at least on one occasion. Still, some animals are considered inedible.

First off, as noted, carnivores are rarely eaten. Top-of-the-food-chain animals have a lot of toxins in them. Besides they are dangerous and expensive to raise. (Bear claws are a delicacy that proves the rule.)

Next some animals are simply too rare (kiwis, bald eagles) to be eaten at any serious level.

Finally, some animals are simply unpalatable. (Davison reports both penguins and parrots are generally in this class.)

Yes, you’re right.

This article asserts that primate meat, including gorilla and chimpanzee, is available across Europe and North America. And according to the survey mentioned primates make up a third of the international market.

Lions are eaten. You can even buy it in some exotic meat sections in the U.S. although carnivores supposedly don’t make very good meat.

The only thing that I can think of is armadillos which may not count because I have had some myself in survival camp. Armadillo roasted on a spit is nasty x100. No one eats them routinely.

OTOH, alligator is excellent and I just read in Men’s Health that it is one of the healthiest meats around. Rattlesnake is good too. Smaller reptiles like lizards and garter snakes wouldn’t be worth it.

I’ve had skunk chili at a wild game pot luck. It was yummy!

I don’t recall what country he was in, but Andrew Zimmern (of Bizarre Foods on Travel Channel) recently was a guest of a group where bat was the main course.

Methinks you are not a Survivor Fans vs. Favorites viewer. This season, contestant James eagerly ate the bat soup, presumably a native dish.

The Commanche were particularly fond of skunk. Before the Second Battle of Adobe Walls, their shaman ordered them to abstain from it to ensure victory. When they caught one enroute to the fight and ate it, it was thought to be the reason they lost.

this thread has made this song run though my mind: [Bert Parks] Here it is, your Komodo Dragon! [/Bert Parks]

I’m only familiar with “bear claws” as a pastry. Is that a whoosh, or do some people eat the actual paws of bears?

They’re considered to have medicinal properties in Chinese medicine, I believe.

What are you, some kind of barbarian?

Rats should be eaten inna bun. With ketchup.

Is there any other way? :cool:

I saw a documentary showing some native people in Australia (not sure what the politically correct name of the group is) that hunted cats to eat. Which, while it’s disturbing for me as a cat-lover, is actually not a bad thing, as cats in Australia are a horrible introduced species (along with rabbits, I believe) and need to be wiped out in the wild, and hey, it feeds people at the same time.

I don’t think anyone eats armadillos. The Master Speaketh

And then of course you have the Gila Monster and all those other REALLY poisonous creatures out there that people just don’t wanna bother trying to risk consuming…

Are these wild rats, as in the house and street kind, or do they raise them for the table?

If it’s the former, then yeah, yuck! If they raise them for the purpose and feed them something other than the trash-based diet that varmint-type rats live on, the idea actually makes pretty good sense. Rats are hardy, prolific, fast-maturing, and can be fed cheaply and easily, just like chickens and pigs are.

Bear is a fairly common meat in Russia. Also, puffin is quite common in Iceland.

Ferrets, mink, sables, and other mustelids are raised commercially for their fur. I wonder what they do with the carcasses…? Surely if they’re not consumed by humans they’re ground into animal feed.

OTOH, I would not recommend using them as a source of milk, as Fat Tony once did on a Simpson’s episode. Not because I suppose rat’s milk is in any way inferior to cow’s milk, but imagine how many mama rats you’d have to milk to get a cup. Tony, how exactly are you saving money here?

I’ve eaten bear. It’s actually pretty tasty, though greasier than you’d want to eat on a regular basis. A friend of my grandpap’s shot it in a self-defense situation, and shared the meat around.

If my days of playing educational computer games don’t deceive me, it was also a staple of pioneer families crossing the Rocky Mountains, above where the bison were common. One bullet gets you a hundred pounds of useable meat. And computer games wouldn’t lie to us, would they?