Anti-Aircraft Missiles

True but the point here is that it is possible to detect laser energy directed at you. Even if it is expensive that probably wouldn’t stop the US from providing it to its planes if they thought the threat warranted it.

As for jamming the laser that isn’t really necessary as regards the plane. Once they know they’re being painted they can make for the clouds, dive for the ground, fly behind a mountain if available or whatever. They probably don’t have to break the lock for too long before the missile is no longer a threat even if the laser re-acquires them.

In short hitting stationary or slow moving targets (such as tanks) with a laser may make sense but I think it is of dubious use for an AA missile. If you say that a laser guided AA missile is deadly to low flying, slow moving aircraft that’s fine but so are a lot of other, cheaper and easier to use missiles in those situations.

<side question>
I noticed in the pictures of the soldier shooting a stinger, that there is no shield or even face protection. Does the missle eject out then fire? What prevents them from a crispy demise?
</sq>

There are two motors, one like a shotgun shell, called the Eject Motor, which burns out before the missile leaves the launch tube. Then the missile coasts for a little while (20 feet or something) when the Flight Motor kicks in. The gunner is not hit with much of the blast from the Flight Motor, but you are supposed to hold your breath. These is a max elevation angle you should respect so the Eject Motor does not fry the backs of your legs, too.

As for adverse weather, for the ones given/sold to the Afghans in the early 80’s, they are only IR seekers, and HIGH background IR (i.e. the sun) can screw it, but not a cloud. The target is visually acquired and engaged, so if you can’t see it, it is VERY tough to get a lock. There are now Stinger Night Sights, and Ultra Violet seeker modes for those missiles in the US inventory, to get through the previous engagement and tracking problems.

I was thinking more along the lines of heavy fog and/or rain, in terms of adverse weather.