Anyone else throw away small change?

Trivial to you, who clearly makes more money than they need to that they can just throw some away.

What’s the point of this thread again?

I throw all of my change into the cup holder of my truck that way I have money for parking meters. Normally it adds up to about $5 a year in change. I had a car wash vacuum out all my change about a year ago but now I’m back to about $5 and that includes quarters. If I never had to pay for parking I’d just toss it like you do but I have to do it just often enough to make it worthwhile.

I wonder if this divide follows the how much cash do you carry thread. The people who carry and use cash a lot are going to run across more change so it means more to them. Personally the only cash I have is in that cup holder in my truck.

Pickle jar of change at home gets the collection of loose money. Every few months I take out the quarters and reload the stash in both cars for meters. The rest goes to CoinStar, which does NOT charge a fee if you cash it out with a Starbucks card.

Oops, you’re right. Change that to “and if you enjoy engaging in a nefarious plot to make that change even MORE worthless by increasing inflation…”

It seems silly to avoid leaving the change behind because of fear of shocked looks. You could practice some pat explanations to rattle off: it’s an act of karma (or penitence) / you enjoy ostentatiously displaying wealth / you’re allergic to metal / you’re a proud Republican and can’t bear to have Democrats on your coins [I doubt if anyone would call you on the technical flaws in that statement] / the quarter today is worth what a penny was in 1917¹, and the penny in 1917 was the lowest denomination of coin, so it only makes sense to abolish the smaller units exactly as the half-cent coin was abolished in 1857. This last one might be more complicated than it’s worth.

¹ From here: the U.S. Buraau of Labor Statistics’ inflation calculator.

I collect up 1p and 2p coins, then I take them to my mum’s place. They have a charity jar which they use to collect small change and it goes to a charity of their choice. This year they’re donating it all to the local air ambulance service, they’ve already donated about £100 from the last time they emptied the jar.

Clarification - I do let it accumulate in the ashtray of my car, 'cause although I have an E-pass for local toll roads I figure one day I’ll have to pay an out-of-state toll.

I can’t imagine throwing away something that could potentially make so much difference to someone else’s life. I use a coin jar and get it out when the charity collectors call by.

Just wondering if anyone else shares my point of view. And I’m willing to bet $2.88 that $2.88 a year is trivial even for you. I’m also willing to bet $2.88 that most folks waste more money than I do overall.

But I get at least $2.88 in change per week. No way I’m throwing that away.

Even though it is small amounts, change adds up. Put it in a jar. Periodically let a child roll it and keep half the proceeds.

Totally agree – back in the dark ages when I had to use cash regularly, I was a major coin hoarder. Not sure what the threshold was for me but $2.88 per year is definitely not worth dealing with small coins.

This is what I always hear – “it adds up!”. It doesn’t; see the numbers in the OP.

Maybe yours doesn’t, but mine is $50 a year or more.

Pennies I don’t keep. Everything else I do.

Oh I assure you, my logic is purely numerical; if I accumulated much more change, I’d hoard it like a squirrel.

Hell no. That’s insane. My loose change bowl serves several functions: it can be mined for fast food if I’m in a hurry, it’s good cigarette money, it’s good for the occasional soda. It’s worth collecting for any small-amount purchase. Bus fare. Parking deck money. Toll roads. Plus, if it accumulates for any time at all, I can roll it and deposit it. Any way you slice it, it’s worth it. I costs me 3 seconds to deposit it in the small clay bowl on my mantel.

I guess, but I think you’ve already expended more effort sorting out your change and writing about it than you would just keeping it. So it’s $2.88 a year, that’s a free hamburger and fries! :wink:

But a lot longer than that to sift through it for spending/rolling.

Ah, but debating about change is so much more fun than dealing with it…plus, I really don’t need any more hamburgers…

Couldn’t you just throw the coins on the ground or something that way a motivated child(hopefully) could add them to a piggy bank or something. In them garbage just seems wrong.

I make a lot of cash transactions and the coins just collect in my ashtray or a bowl at my house.

My ashtray fund is used to pay exact change at drive throughs and tolls, until when my father borrows my truck he ‘cleans’ it. Throwing out any trash floating around and usually vacuuming it. That includes him relieving me of all the change. I guess it is a fee or something. All his change collects separated in 5 gallon water jugs. So far he hasn’t managed to fill those.

The change at my house gets dumped into a coin star ever few years.