Are blacks allowed in Iceland?

I know, I was merely correcting an error in the statement in the spirit of the whole point behind this website.

Let’s take a look at the Icelandic Constitution:

No you weren’t. Iceland is a member of the European Economic Area, which is exactly what UDS posted. The EEA consists of the EU and three of the four EFTA countries.

Reread what was written.

Bolding mine to emphasise the statement, excluding the additional explanation of what the EEA provides.

And I can now see that this is going to boil down to a grammar/sentence structure argument. All I will say is that if UDS meant

Then that is what UDS should have written. But he/she didn’t and in that case the “and of the EU” was not required as the entire EU is part of the EEA.

You are misreading the sentence, which is admittedly not a model of clarity. The “of” in “of the EU” refers back to “member states of the area,” not to “of the [EEA]”.

You are misreading it.

Straight from wiki:

Cite

His reading is not the one I intended, but I think that’s more my fault than his. I constructed the sentence poorly.

Is it the EAA that is the deciding law/factor here, or the Schengen Area, which limits border controls? There is lots of overlap, but they’re not 1:1. I have flown from a non-EU, Schengen country to a EU, non-Schengen country (Norway to UK) to the US and (IIRC) I had to go through immigration twice.

[Moderating]

As long as the correct information has now been posted, I don’t think it matters who misread what where when and how.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator

It’s the EEA. Iceland is in the Schengen area, and a person travelling from (say) Germany to Iceland would not pass through any border controls. A person travelling to Iceland from the UK (which is not in the Schengen area) would pass through border controls but, if that person were an EEA/EU national, would be admitted to Iceland regardless of race or ethnicity.

The Schengen Area could be suspended tomorrow; an EEA/EU national would still enjoy the right of enty to Iceland to live, work, study, retire, etc. Whereas if the EEA were dissolved there would be no such right (plus, as a consequence, Iceland would have leave the Schengen Area).

There are some countries that still restrict citizenship along ethnic lines; the Rohingya refugee crisis in Myanmar is occurring because Burmese nationality law doesn’t recognize members of this group as citizens. But this isn’t quite the same as a racial exclusion policy.