Ascending Half Dome -- Yosemite tips wanted [edited title]

Can you elaborate on this? Are the wilderness permits in addition to the 400 cable passes, or are they a subset? How do you get a wilderness permit?

So, there aren’t cables, but there are ropes? Or the cables are there, but not the standing supports? I’m a little uncomfortable about trying to climb that slick surface without all the help normally available.

Poor writing on my part.

First - getting a permit:

You fill out a form and send it in 24 weeks in advance. The fax line will be busy, so mail it. If your wilderness itinerary gets you close to Half Dome, you get a Half Dome permit as well.
“Backpackers will receive a Half Dome permit with their wilderness permit if their wilderness itinerary reasonably includes Half Dome. While no additional reservations are necessary, there is now a $5/person fee. (Wilderness permits are already subject to a quota system.)”

The ascent is a steel cable on posts, with boards at the base that act as steps. In the off season, those steel cables are just sitting on the granite. They are still anchored, but not up on posts like a handrail.

You pick up the cable and pull yourself up. Every 20 yards or so there is a nice lip in the granite that you can lock your boots into, and you lean against the face of the dome while you rest. Then you keep going. It is hard work, but worth it if nobody is around.

They are metal cables, like the kind used on ski lifts. They are permanently attached at the top and bottom. During the summer season, they are held about chest-high on metal supports that are mounted directly into the granite. During the off-season, the supports are removed and the cables just lie on the rock. If you go when they are down, you need to lift them as you go. It is only about 300 feet of vertical on the cables - it just seems a lot longer. Only the middle section is steep enuf to warrant them, IMHO.

This is why there is a warning at the start of the cable stretch not to attempt to ascend if there is a cloud anywhere in sight, as a lightning strike while you are on the cables would be, well, devastating. And you do not want to be stuck up on top during a thunderstorm.

EDIT: Algher beat me to the punch. Handrails is a good analogy.

Thanks for the additional info :slight_smile:

I didn’t see this mentioned earlier.

There are 2 main hiking routes up Half dome.

The Mist trail
and
The John Muir trail.

The Mist trail is shorter, but much more vertical making for harder hike. It however is much more scenic including waterfalls and ponds.

The John Muir trail is a significantly easier hike in my opinion, but is not nearly as scenic. When I went some of it was even covered in horse poop. It wasn’t pleasant, but we took it on the way down because taking the mist trail kicked our out-of-shape asses on the way up.

If I were to do it again I would take the John Muir trail up and make my way lazily down the mist trail and hang out by the pond.

For the roped section if you’re not experienced spending time on rock, then you should bring gloves. The gardening type are fine. Stay on the inside. People die when they try and go on the outside.

Have a great time, bring water and snacks. Don’t pack too heavy though, you should be done in a day.

Harmonix - I would switch those two. Mist is a BITCH going down. The stone steps are really high, slipperly in the late day, and covered in day hikers ascending the falls. You are either feeling your knee caps pop off, or trying to find a square inch to stand in while people are passing.

Take the Mist up.
Take the Muir home when your legs are shot to hell.

In my humble, and pained, opinion of course.

I would probably go up the Mist Trail and back on John Muir as well. I mean, you ***have *** to do the Mist Trail if you’ve come all the way to Yosemite to do this hike. The trail gets really crowded later in the day, and you’ll be in no mood to dodge wide-eyed tourists on their way up to get a look at the falls. There are some really nice views from the John Muir trail as well; I think the only real drawback is the potential of manure on the trail.

@Algher Different folks different strokes. I find going downhill is no big deal for me.

There is also an option of the hybrid route. The trails cross over more then once I believe.
You would need to look at a map to see how much scenic stuff you miss if you take john muir part of the way up then cross over into mist.

@blondebear
I agree. You absolutely HAVE to do mist for at least one of the legs.

Just to add one more awesome hike - Panoramic Trail from Glacier down. Take the bus from the Lodge to Glacier point, and then slowly hike your way down to the valley floor. You will get some perspectives of the valley you can’t touch from other areas. I took my 8 year old on it - totally worth it.

I was just looking at some Mist Trail videos on youtube. Check 'em out–there are some that will give you a good idea of what the trail is like.

Great tip, thanks!

I find going down steep inclines much more strenuous than going up them.

My trip is approaching so I’m using my one bump to see if anyone has any more tips. Thanks!