Ask the apartment maintenance technician...

OT: Kenmore is Sears house brand of appliances. All of the Kenmore line is made by other manufacturers. Apparently, at least some of their dryers are Maytag-made.

Here is a list of their manufacturers and how to tell who made yours.

I moved into my apartment in July and there has always been a really faint ring around my toilet (inside the bowl at water level). I’m guessing the last tenants were dirty and whoever cleaned the apartment just did a quick job. Is there a way to make this go away forever? Like, it is slowly getting worse over time, even with copious amounts Comet and bleach (not together). Help?

This isn’t something I normally associate with the maintenance people, but with the management, but since you mentioned it…

Will any stuff left behind by a renter be destroyed?

Last time I rented in the US, the apartment (half-below-ground level) didn’t have any kind of blinds. Gee, call me prissy but I don’t really feel like strip-teasing for whomever walks through the parking lot, so I had to get blinds. The windows were enormous, those blinds cost me upwards of $700. Since there is no way they’d fit in wherever my next apartment happened to be, I left them behind, asking the manager to please leave them there for the next renter. I think she may have had a cousin in the blinds company, though - either that or a reasoning impediment - from the frown she gave me.

I had some furniture I would have liked to give to the Salvation Army or similar but which had to be moved to Spain due to some stupid company regulation (dooooon’s ask). In your building, if someone moved out in a hurry (I’d spent the last 5 weeks in Mexico and was going to be in Texas for the next 3) and left furniture and appliances in good shape behind, would they be thrown away, offered to the next renter? Would it be possible to get you guys to handle giving it to the SA or similar (perhaps paying for this)?

Diosa, that’s likely to be calcium buildup. If it’s not too old, those things that you put in the water deposit which make the water colored help.

If it’s very old, then use Calgon or similar (keeps any calcium from re-depositing) and elbow grease.

You’re right about the toilet stains. It’s mainly just elbow grease to get that stuff off; I had the same problem at my last apartment. I think I used a Lysol Tub & Basin cleaner and let it sit for a couple of minutes, then scrub scrub scrub.

Ok, I don’t know exactly how landlord laws are applied everywhere (I’m in Washington state, and I think timelines are different elsewhere), but it is illegal for a landlord to throw away a previous tenant’s property, so no, they wouldn’t do that.

For my company, we first try to contact the resident, when possible, then we have to store the items for 90 days before selling or donating. When we do that, the reciept and money is held for 2 years, just in case the resident comes back within that time. If they don’t, then the money is just absorbed into the company funds.

It’s very unlikely we’d leave furniture or appliances for the next person, but if you called and asked us to donate everything, we would probably arrange that. The main reason we wouldn’t want to keep it in the apartment is, aside from the property legally belonging to you still, it’s a hassle for maintenance. It’d mean having 1 or 2 extra appliances or blinds to buy parts for. Keeping things uniform is easier.