Ask the Asocial Korean Teenager Living in Guatemala...

*Have you been to visit any of the Mayan ruins in the Northern part of Guatemala? If not, do you have any desire to? *
Yeah, the ruin is called Tikal. I’ve been there. I wish i could comment, but i’ve never really been awed by any man-made structure…

*In your high school, have you learned anything about Mayan history, Pre-conquest Guatemalan history? *
Since it’s an american school, we just learn stuff they learn in the U.S.

*What’s the deal with the Mayan calendar ending in 2012? I know how New Age/Archaic revival types interpret that, but do you know anything about how Mayan descendants interpret that? *
Um… That’s not really common knowledge for people living in Guatemala, so you’re better off asking your local anthropology professor or someone like that.

Hi, non-native.

What’s it like changing countries every year to 3 years? I always envied kids who got to grow up in several different countries. They always seemed–or, rather, were–more worldly and culturally astute than we stay-at-homes. Living all over the world sounds like a life I’d love to have as an adult and would love to have had as a kid. Then again, I’ve never seen the downside of a life like that. What do you think you’ve learned from going all over the globe? Which was your favorite place to live? To visit? Would you be willing to go from one country to another as an adult, or do you want to settle down someplace eventually? If you had kids, would you want them to grow up in one place, more or less, or would you want them to spend different years in different parts of the world?

–Scribble.

What’s it like changing countries every year to 3 years?
Well, again i don’t know what to compare it to so i can’t really give you a decent answer. But personally, i don’t like. For someone who has moved so much i have terrible adjustment skills. There’s no place i can truly call home, to think longingly of or whatnot. But i’m sure there’s a lot of good things too, but you always feel what’s missing rather than what you have.

What do you think you’ve learned from going all over the globe?
I consider myself a ridiculously tolerant person, almost a pushover. Not just in terms of culture, race or whatever but everything. I think i’m a very understanding person (ahem) and that’s why i’m so tolerant.

*Which was your favorite place to live? *
Probably Toronto, Canada. But since all the places i’ve lived in was at a different age, it’s really hard for me to judge.

To visit?
Another thing about me (wow, feels great to talk about myself so much) is that i’m no longer awed by things. I travelled through most of Europe with my parents before kindergarten and i think that dulled my ability to appreciate certain things. So although i’ve seen a lot landmarks and monuments and whatnot throughout the world, none of it was particularly memorable to me… Sorry.

Would you be willing to go from one country to another as an adult, or do you want to settle down someplace eventually?
I’ll probably settle down at one place… I hate moving.

*If you had kids, would you want them to grow up in one place, more or less, or would you want them to spend different years in different parts of the world? *
Right now i would prefer to have my children live at one place… But i’m a teen right now it’s pretty difficult to know what i’m going to do when i have children.

Thanks for asking.

Thanks for replying. :slight_smile: