Ask the Canadian Teenager...

No, and I don’t know Jimmy, Sally, or Suzy, although I’m sure they’re really really nice… cue heroic music

I have a Prime Minister, not a President. I speak English and French, not American.
And I pronouce it ‘about, not a boot’…

When my writing career fails, (and it probably will) I’m going to give video production a shot.

Umm. Well, I know a Yoko Murphy, if that’s worth anything.

Does everyone speak French there?

Is it always cold where you are? I mean, do your summers get hot at all?

Have you ever eaten a moose? :stuck_out_tongue:

Non, beaucoup de gens ne parlent pas le français ici.

Right now, it’s cold where I am. Yes, our summers tend to get extremely hot. You’d be surprised, especially with the Toronto pollution and all.

No, I haven’t eaten a moose. I don’t think I want to.

Ah, I mean trends that we have in highschools down here in America. Ug boots. Light pink polos for guys. A remergence of the “skate” look.

Honestly, I can’t think of anything because I never follow them. Bad question, I suppose. Maybe a more properly suited question would be what, if you can remember, are some trendy fashions right now?

Oh, and what kind of food do you have in your cafeteria?

Ooh, those Ugg boots. I know they became a major fashion trend, but I don’t recall any of my peers actually wearing them. Right now, we have the whole “gangsta” rap look going on (with the wiggers, chiggers, whatever you want to call them) and the “sk8er” look. Ugh, honestly, I hate the gangster look. Those are the only ones I can remember right now. And for cafeteria food, we have salads, hamburgers, chips, assorted candies and chocolate bars, soup, sandwiches, Jamaican patties, and hot dogs.

What’s the one thing you like or do that annoys most people over 30?

For me it’s the jeans, “pull em’ up” they all say. :smack:

It’s either chewing gum or wearing my jeans really low. My teachers tell me to spit my gum out and to pull my jeans up. My mother tells me to wear my jeans at the waist, not the hips and to stop chewing my gum like a horse.

I don’t know? I wear my jeans at waist-level, gum isn’t something I make a habit of, and I don’t use ghetto speak, stoner speak, or preppy-speak.

If there’s any specific attribute about me that annoys people, I probably don’t annoy people above 30 exclusively. But I have no idea. Ask the Dopers who’ve met me, I guess?

Oh…Ralph, Deb, and Russ? They work in an office in Canada? Say “eh” a lot?
…They’re dead.

(CTs, you need any reinforcements, just give me a ring…)

Care to explain, anyone?

They’re quoting beer commercials. :smiley: A very Canadian thing to do, I think.

The commercials (like Joe’s Rant) play around with the stereotype that Canada is so sparsely populated that all Canadians know each other, and ignorant Americans will, upon learning someone is Canadian, ask “do you know so and so?”

It is one of many silly stereotypes abOOt which I love to tease my boyfriend (the aforementioned Ralph, who also told me about the commercial that ends with “he’s dead.”)

Ooooh, that commercial! It makes me start giggling everytime it’s mentioned, but how come I didn’t remember that part? Well, that explains why this young lady came up to me when I was in New York City (I had a Canadian flag emblem sewn onto my knapsack) and asked me if I knew a girl named Alice. :rolleyes:

a) Moi, je parle francais, but in Ontario francophones are something of a minority. The larger French-speaking populations are further east, in Quebec and some of the Maritime provinces, and among the Metis people in the Prairies.

b) I remember up in Toronto a hot summer day getting up to around 39-42 degrees Celsius–and that’s 102.2 to 107.6 degrees for you Americans. So yeah, it can get pretty hot up here. :wink:

c) I have. It’s a bit weird at first–sort of an acquired taste. But it’s great if it’s done right.

What kind of environment do you live in - center city urban, outlying borough urban, suburban, rural, other? Do/did you like growing up there? Why or why not?

Center city urban. It’s actually very stimulating because I live in the middle of it all: businesses, schools, malls, restaurants, community centres, etc. I absolutely love it because of all the activity that goes on. I find it really energizing. It’s not exactly downtown Toronto, but it’s fairly close, so I have access to a lot of other resources because it’s just really big.

There were a couple of versions of the commercial, IIRC… Downloaded them a while back but can’t seem to find them right now…

dare_devil007, whereabouts? I’m around Yonge and Lawrence, closer to North York… :slight_smile:

I’m in North York!! Wonderful little place. I absolutely love it. :slight_smile:

I live in an outlying borough urban area, around Pape and Danforth in East York. It’s nice enough, there’s no crime, all the basic essentials are nearby, and it’s near public transport. So it works.

But growing up near Church/Wellesley (right downtown, the biggest gay and lesbian area in Toronto) was more fun.

I’ve never eaten a moose. I don’t speak French too well, and Kythereia’s already answered the temperature question pretty factually.