Ask the former fast food GM

My wife worked in JB’s Architecture Department for 26 years. When she first began working there 32 years ago, the HQ complex (San Diego) had both corporate and industrial facilities on site, and office whitecollars were free to have a look around the plant.

One of her more interesting experiences was seeing the empty taco shells on a conveyor belt, passing under the nozzle that spurted the filling into each shell. She says it looked very much like the “Brown 29” sequence in The Groove Tube.

The tacos had been her lifelong favorite Jack Snack, and seeing how they were manufactured had no impact on her love for them. She wasn’t exactly surprised.

If you want it for $3.99 with drink and fries, probably yes.

This thread is missing stories. You must have stories.

What are your best stories about crazy employees, crazy customers, and general behind the scenes shenanigans? One of each please.

Would you have hired someone with a Ph.D. in, say, Philosophy?

What’s the grossest thing that ever happened to you? Possibly related question, who has to clean the public restrooms and how bad do they get?

(snipped in the middle by me, indicated by the ellipsis)

One of my “favorite” things when I cooked in a fast food place was the guy who would come in with a list, and was apparently ordering a meal for his entire block:

“I need 15 double cheeseburgers, one with no lettuce, one with no tomatoes, two with no cheese, one with no catsup, one with mustard instead of catsup, three with no mayo, four with bacon, but one of those just wants bacon and cheese and nothing else on it, one with no mayo, and one normal. I also need five large orders of fries and ten small orders of fries, with no salt on one of the larges and three of the smalls. Nine large Pepsis, a medium Pepsi, an extra-large Diet Pepsi, one small orange, one small Dr. Pepper, one small root beer, and one small 7-Up. To go.”

So we’d make all those items, hopefully with no mistakes, and then since the burgers were all the same item but with special requests, we’d have to break out the Sharpie and hand-label each and every wrapper. While the next customers in line were all wondering what the hell was taking so long.

ETA: Oh yeah, and this wasn’t a chain place, it was a locally-owned independent burger joint. So the grill was small, and the buns were toasted on the grill, not in a separate bun toaster. So since 30 hamburger patties were going to pretty much take up the entire grill, we’d have to first toast the fifteen buns (again, taking up the entire grill), then set them aside and put the 30 patties on the grill to cook, dress the buns while the patties were cooking, trying to keep all the special orders straight, making sure the patties didn’t burn while the buns were being dressed… all this with just one cook on duty.

What are your best memories? What are your worst?

Would you do it all again, given the chance?

Does Jack-in-the-Box have “healthier options” like say, McDonald’s does? Which sells better, the healthy stuff, or the junk?

Usually the front-counter person cleans them during downtime. Being as we were down the street from a homeless shelter, they got REALLY bad at times, but we had push-button locks installed eventually which cut down on misuse.

The junk, by a factor of about 10 to one.

PLEASE answer this. I hate having to try and interpret what is coming out of that squawk box, and I will stop coming to a place with unintelligible order takers. You know they can’t speak well - why are you torturing your customers?

I can’t answer that question, as I never had any employees whose English skills were too weak for them to be in a guest service position.