Ask the guy that just finished his first Ironman

My wife has DVT and has to wear a compression stocking with a foot in it. The only way to do it after coming out of the water is to of course dry off, but then LOTS of baby powder. That makes her T1 pretty long.

I agree that it’s a good idea to take a little time to make sure you have everything. Once, my wife left her timing chip behind.:smack:

You are supposed to take care of that while on the bike.

It is a little late, but have you seen this?
http://www.hornetjuice.com/ironman-brag.html

I tried, hence the need to change my shorts and socks.

HA

I did it all except the gear; I refused to buy finisher merchandise until I was actually a finisher. But by the time I got there the place was picked clean. During the race I had my sister-in-law update my facebook page.

I did manage to score 8 pint glasses, and several bumper stickers. Also wore my finisher hat to the gym last night. Didn’t do anything there except walk around with the hat on, since I did just run an Ironman, gotta take it easy for a couple of days.

ETA I’m also still wearing the bracelet.

Congrats…

I did my first Sprint Tri last month, and next week I am competing on a team at the Toyota Challenge Mini Tri. I had planned on doing it alone, but actually landed a sponsorship from a local business for the team event, provided the owner could become involved. She will be doing our swim leg, I’m the bike, and a friend is the run. I’m actually aiming for the goal of competing in the Toughguy in England in a year or two, but got into triathlons along with it. Don’t have many questions, but love to see threads like this. The goal of Ironman has become by the time I turn 28, which is 4 years off, but I’d like to do it sooner.

Again, congrats.

Brendon Small

That’s an awesome goal. What race would you do? I ask because you need to sign up a year in advance, and they fill up fast (Madison filled up today in just a few hours). It’s also a really good idea to volunteer at the event, both because it’s good karma, and because you get preferential registration for the next year. So 4 years away is closer than you think.

Do you have any longer triathlons planned?

Having completed a few sprint tri’s, I just completed my first Olympic Tri last sunday. I managed 3:30, and really struggled on the run (1:10 for 10km, should have been much closer to an hour) - I could not straighten my legs after the bike ride. My wifes cousin has challenged me to a half-ironman in a years time, so I have to really get out and work on the long rides, and swapping from cycling to running to make that less painful.

I am slow in transition - after this I take as much time I need in transition to get things right, and even then I almost put my helmet on before my shirt.

Anyhow, well done to emacknight, and I encourage anyone to try a tri - start with a sprint and work up.

Si

Congratulations!

I’ve tried, but not finished Canada twice.It used to be that the only way to register was to be in Pentiction the day after the previous year’s race. Is that still true? It’s a lovely course. I’ve also heard excellent things about Coeur d’Alene.

My training buddy is trying to convince me that Cancun 70.3 next year is a good idea.

I’ve noticed that the races are filling up faster this year. We went to Madison in 2009 to volunteer, which gave us early access to registration. But while waiting in line one of the race directors told us that we were all guaranteed to get a spot, and that most of the races that year were taking a few days to fill up. This year there was enough interest that they crashed the online registration, and when it reopened the race filled within hours.

I know my wife and I had considered signing up for Ironman Canada a few weeks ago and it was full by the next day.

Then, it was not so much “full” as “it had weird sign up rules.” It is a lovely place to race, though, if you can make it to the site two years in a row. And there’s wine tasting (once the race is over, of course).

Congratulations. I’ve done a few halfs, but never a full. (I always say it would be too expensive. First, the training would entail a divorce …) My job also rarely permits signing up a year in advance, and with three kids in college, ironmans (what is the plural?!) are too expensive.

So far the only thing stopping me is the build up to do a full marathon. Last year it was my left IT band, this year I got PF on my left heel, and a flareup of the IT band again. However, I finally determined the source issues for those injuries, and I’ve been able to keep them under control while increasing distance once again. So next year I’ll hopefully be able to knock out the marathon and a 70.3, and the following year a full 140.6.

Great Job! Is an Ironman defined by distance or merely the prescence of the 3 disciplines?

Specific distance.

2.4 mile swim
112 mile bike
26.2 marathon

The distances derive from three endurance contests held in Hawaii; the Waikiki Roughwater Swim (2.4 mi./3.86 km), the Around-Oahu Bike Race (115 mi./185.07 km; originally a two-day event) and the Honolulu Marathon (26.219 mi./42.195 km).

ETA: any triathlon is swim/bike/run in order but distances can vary.

Thanx! Reading your answer, realizing I meant general triathlons.