Ask the Zoo Educator

I sent in an application!

The question I’d most like to ask, I’m not sure if you could answer any more than I can, is what are the main differences between US and European zoos? I used to have a similar job (combined with keeper) in the UK, in a small BIAZA member collection, and I’m curious how different it is over there :slight_smile: It’s terribly vague though, sorry.

As an alternative question, is there any animal you would absolutely love to work with, but have never had the chance, for whatever reason?

Hurray! I hope they have a great program.

Hmm. I feel like European zoos seem to attach a little more importance to zoological research than here in the US. Perhaps it’s because they’re, on the whole, older, and are more firmly rooted in research than zoos here? I don’t really know, sorry. Some US zoos do suffer (IMHO) from the “Disneyfication” effect, where everything has to be an immersive, “authentic” all-day experience - and I think the trend toward habitat theming of exhibit areas (e.g., Savannah Land or Arctic Exploration) is resultant of this.

I’m actually from Australia, which has several great zoos, despite the fact that quarantine and import regulations are SO stringent. When you have such a healthy and unique fauna, you need to protect it. This also results in lots of Australian-animal only fauna parks and the like - when my mother visited, she was disappointed that there wasn’t somewhere she could visit here which had native fauna displays like raccoons, opossums and skunks, just as exotic to her as kangaroos and koalas to tourists in Australia.

There are lots of animals I’d love a chance to work with. Our program animal space has limited housing available, which does impact what species we’re comfortably able to keep. I’m thinking more about building a balanced collection with a range of suitable and representative species to allow me to teach lots of classes (mammals vs birds vs reptiles, temperate vs tropical, “touchable” vs distinctly not) rather than, oh, I love pangolins, let’s get one!

(It’s actually pangolins.)

I was shocked to no end when I was looking at the volunteer requirements for the local zoo (which is the number 1 gated attraction in our state - very well known) - the zookeepers make, at least as new little zookeepers… $10 an hour. I make twice that and can be reasonably sure as a librarian that I will not be attacked by a rogue gorilla. Also, it seems to me that they get volunteers to do work that really ought to be done by professionals.

Ugh, yes. Zookeeper wages are, sadly, traditionally low. Since it’s such a popular field, they are viewed as easily replaceable. Unfortunately, they’re right. Our zoo had over 200 applicants for our last zookeeper vacancy.

Also, since it’s a job without any required formal training, those volunteers are often the ones that replace the professional keepers when they get sick of their shit-kicker wages and go elsewhere. It’s also a physically demanding job, which not everyone can continue to do throughout their lives.

Of course, keepers aren’t in it for the money, and the connections they experience with the animals are obviously worth a lot to many of them. The risk of losing those connections can make zookeepers continue working in positions where their salary can’t support their families. Heartbreaking.

More reasons I’m happy to be a zoo educator, where I’m still not paid nearly what I’m worth (seriously, even in comparison with the museum field) but at least better than a keeper.