Audio Book for 17 hour car ride - Need Answer Fast

I’m currently listening to Judas Unchained, the sequel to Pandora’s Star. They are both hefty reads (30+ hours each) and I found them fantastic sci-fi.

We borrowed Dave Barry’s “Dave Barry Turns 50” from the library for a car trip, and almost drove off the road, we were laughing so hard. I’m not sure if that’s a great recommendation or not. :slight_smile:

Just thought I’d update everyone - I listened to The Dresden Files while driving to and from Georgia and Rhode Island. As a HUGE bonus; it was narrated by James Marsters!

Overall the main character, Harry Dresden, can be a bit bone-headed in terms of planning, and he tends to blame everything on himself, but it works well for the series and I found it brilliant.

The books get better as the series progresses. You’d better start planning that road trip to Alaska :smiley:

There was an American one? Definitely the BBC one!

I thought the default answer was Tim Curry reading the Lemony Snickett books. The amount of hidden adult humor in those books is wonderful.

A couple of free audiobooks that are professional-quality:

Bleak House by Charles Dickens
Nicholas Nickleby by Charles Dickens

edit: Now I notice the thread is a week old, and the drive already happened.

Nitpick: Daniel (“Lemony Snicket”) Handler reads books 3-5. Curry reads the rest.

I’m apparently a member of the minority who didn’t enjoy James Marsters’s reading of the Dresden books. I listened to the first few and then switched to reading them the old fashioned way.

Audio books I have loved…

Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. Both the BBC dramatization and and unabridged reading by Stephen Fry.

Undaunted Courage by Stephem Ambrose.

The Myron Bolitar series by Harlen Coben.

Airframe by Michael Crichton. Fun to listen to on the transoceanic flights. :smiley:

Faster by James Gleick. Beginning to get a little dated because the world continues to get faster but still fascinating.

Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer. Absolutely thrilling.

My Alistair Maclean collection of pot boilers: HMS Ulysses, The Guns Of Navarone, Night Without End, Dark Crusader (the Black Shrike), Fear Is The Key, The Golden Rendezvous, Ice Station Zebra, When Eight Bells Toll, Where Eagles Dare.

Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry. Pulitzer winner and one of my favorite novels of all time.

A Christmas Story by Jean Shepard. The best part of the movie was the amusing deadpan narration of the stories. An adult looking back on his childhood from a different perspective. This is more of the same but at four hours, it’s quite a bit more.

Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien. At 55 hours, you only break out this one for really, really long [del]trips[/del] quests.

Dunk and Egg tales are worth the read.

Another vote for Dresden

Another for Reamde, although I liked Anathem more

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell is also excellent.

Anything written and read by David Sedaris.

World War Z World War Z - Wikipedia

The Star Wars radio play is also great for driving. I’ve heard the first one, I’ll have to get the other two.

I rather enjoyed the American Gods full cast production.

I liked the History of Salt, I have listened to it several times.

My recommendation is any of the harry Potter books, I got them from the library as they were not available on Audible.