Auto Repair Rip-Off Horror Stories

in many/most cars, the HVAC box/manifold is assembled into the IP (dashboard), then the entire IP is brought into the assembly plant and installed into the car. So that’s why it’s a bear to replace. I basically went through the same thing replacing the heater core on my Neon.

I dunno if it’ll help or not (I’m a chevy guy), but you need to get BMW corporate involved in this. It’s their brand that’s suffering over the actions of this dealership…and the ability to sell BMWs is a right the manufacturer can revoke.

They’re also relying on you ‘keeping this small’. If you are one of many victims, then things like the BBB are there to assist. It might be worth involving a lawyer…it’ll be cheaper than $1300 and they might think twice if they know you’re willing to lawyer up.

You DID sign the document, and that’s on you (never sign something you don’t read), their practices are deceptive. I wouldn’t be surprised if the work was unnecessary or not even performed.

If you can get a third party to view the vehicle and discover that you were ‘billed for CV joints that were never replaced’, then you’ve got a much better point to stand on.

Honestly, this is why I almost NEVER let another person touch my cars.

you can save a lot of money by buying your own parts, doing work yourself when possible and finding a cheap honest mechanic. I get my work done for 1/3 the cost of what dealerships quote by doing that. As a rule of thumb i avoid all national repair chains.

As far as horror stories, quoted 900 for a transmission rebuild, a $45 additive did the trick and kept itrunning.

Billjacobsbmwfraud a couple of things here. I’m a service manager at a large dealership in another state. What you described would be illegal here in my state, but as auto repair is governed by state law that fact and $4 will get you a latte at Starbucks.
You need to research what the consumer protection laws say in your state. Also read exactly what the agreement you signed said. Things you should look for is a requirement for an estimate before work is done?
Good luck

Oh one more thing. The things that stop your car are called brakes not breaks. Call them breaks and you get assigned twenty dumbass points by the reader. :slight_smile:

This thread was revived – again – by someone posting vendetta spam. I’m going to lock it, since its main function seems to be attracting googlers with grudges.