[B]Desmostylus[/B], you went too far! I'm exposing your rotten heart!

Fair enough Primaflora, you don’t like my verbosity. Don’t read my posts then. It seems you can’t understand a person “waxing poetic” about a subject that they have fun doing.

You obviously missed the part where I stated that I was 16 in 1988. I did tend to be “different” in grade school back in the early 80’s though just not when it came to clothing. If I’d asked my mom to buy me primarily dark colors, especially black back then, I bet she’d have done it.

However, I wasn’t old enough to have developed fashion likes and dislikes beyond “This dress gets caught on tree branches, next time I’ll wear shorts and a top.” All I really cared about, was if it was comfortable, and did it inhibit movement?

Also, Kansas USA (it’s in the center of the nation) takes months, sometimes a year or more for fashion trends to reach even from one of the Coasts of the U.S.

Example: my older brother was in the Navy, and in the course of his duty was in France at the time their obsession with neon colors was winding down. He was told it had been going on for some time. He brought me some day glo socks and day glo shoe strings to accessorize with, that he’d bought in France. When he gave them to me, he told me that people in Virginia were already wearing neon shirts etc. It took fully six months after he brought them to me for neon colors to begin to trickle into Kansas. (A full year after he’d seen the trend in France.) Needless to say, more than one friend was sheepish when I teased them with their own words. “I’d never be caught dead wearing those colors!” Guess what they were wearing?

Some of my nearest and dearest know that despite my current longhaired, bearded, slightly tanned, jeans-and-buttondowns-and-the-occasional-Italian-suit appearance, I would still happily wear the shirt they bought me.

See, I was a protogoth in the 1980s–a Kennedys, Smiths, Siouxsie, TMC, Bauhaus, Romeo Void, Damned, Black Flag, black-BDUs-and-concert-tees-under-the-trench, Doc Martens when they were still decent workboots, black and magenta 'hawk, huge jewelry, down with the man, fuck up the system, end intolerance now to a great soundtrack, my GOD you people are so lame and now I’m artistically depressed about it, post-punk protogoth.

Which is what I explain to people who look at me oddly when they see my t-shirt which reads:

“Gother Than Thou.”

I believe I have discovered what it was in the linked thread that was bugging me about Zabali’s posts. She tends to go on about how different she is and unique she is based solely on her appearance, yet she seems depressingly drab and conforminst in her interior life. Clothing and makeup choices don’t create a special aura around a person. The genuinely interesting bits are always inside.

I’d be impressed if Zabali had learned to play madrigals on the recorder, or created interesting stained glass designs, or if she had taught herself to read Sanskrit. But her posts reflect a shallow, self-absorbed conformity of thought that precludes any really uniqueness. She’s like the goth Jean Teasdale.

andros hehe I just dyed my hair again, after waiting 3 years to see if my 3 hair wide Celtic silver streak on my left temple would widen. (It didn’t sigh) I dyed it a darker reddish brown, it looks almost black indoors. Outdoors it has more blood red highlights than my hair normally has, and a definite eggplant purple overcast. I think it looks good, and that’s what counts.

If I were a guy, I’d “put the moves” on Siouxsie Sue if I ever encountered her. Especially if she looked like she did in the “Peekaboo” video. Rowrr :wink:

pepperlandgirl:

I do tend to stick my neck out but those are just liver spots. Don’t call me that again…

My name is Ingo Montoya. You killed my father.

{{{six-fingered man}}}

gobear I’d like to respond to your implication that my outside is “flashy” to compensate for my “dull” inside. (Though how you consider plain black jeans, plain black t-shirt, black socks and black shoes flashy I’ll never know.) I’d say that I’m actually a very strong individual, considering the fact that I’ve been beaten and put down for many years of my life beginning in grade school. Somehow, I still held on to my self identity, and continued to express myself “differently” than my classmates in many ways. It takes a lot of “heart” to stay true to yourself with that much societal pressure.

I never claimed to be a fantastically interesting person, I’m sure that to some people I’m very dull because I like to read, or don’t like most pop music etc. I’m happy being myself. That’s what counts right?

Actually the last time I tried, I could play the recorder at a beginners level. It was required in fourth grade music, and I found that I could still play a few years ago. I can play the ocarina a little bit. Give me a recording of a simple tune, a piano that’s reasonably on key, some time and privacy, and I’ll be able to play it, maybe even present you with a variation on it if given a day or two. When I was at my parent’s house, I’d sit at the piano for hours and pick tunes out “by ear” and then make variations on them. I can also sight read a song for voice, and produce a passable rendition on my first attempt. I love almost all types of music.

I’m an “instinctual” or “expressive” dancer, though I’ve never had lessons. We were too poor for that, not only could my parents not pay for lessons, but they could not afford to buy the gas to drive me to the next town over for them. (My mom took Ballet as a youth, and even taught the beginners to help pay for her lessons, so this is how I know my “style”.) I still have fun dancing though.

Here are three of my computer “doodles”. Please note, I don’t claim to be at the same level as a professional artist, these works were made for pure pleasure using very simple programs.

Purple Hair is a self portrait of sorts.

This one was an excercise in translucent colors overlapping. The triangles are meant to be stained glass on a drafting board.

This one is Untitled. I’m not done with it, it’s still a work in progress.

Zabali, would you consider that you possessed a sense of irony?

Glad you noticed, Primaflora. Yes, I do and a subtly sarcastic way of expressing it at times…

What? Desmostylus being pitted? Who’d’a thunk it?

I’m just amazed it’s taken this long me’self. :smiley:

Zabali, as someone who almost never does the online hugs sort of thing, I’ll say that your propensity for them fazes me not in the least. You have routinely shown yourself to be a compassionate and well spoken person at these boards.

Please try to ignore berks like Demostylus and (especially) Primaflora. There’s always someone (or two) who just can’t resist pissing in the punchbowl. Personally, I am all the more proud to have welcomed you to these boards with your own thread.

Keep up the good work and try to remember that you outclass sods like them in your sleep.

The funniest quip I’ve read in years.

Whap

::Smacks Demostylus across the head::

“Get in there and defend yourself - pufter-boy.”

Defend myself? From what?

I thought Zabali_Clawbane was a crazy bitch, and I said so.

She didn’t like it, and she said so.

“pufter-boy”? :rolleyes:

But you haven’t answered questions about your rotten heart. Please provide a recent medical report, with cholesterol count and blood pressure readings.

I’ve just read this thread from beginning to end.

As a detached, unbiased observer it’s my considered opinion that the author of this thread was far more concerned with talking about herself than anything else. And it’s pretty bloody boring reading too I must say. But I’ve seen it all before. Message Boards mean different things to different people. For some, it’s all about quality debate and exchange of knowledge - for others, it’s just a continuation of some weird cyber high school popularity contest.

All up? A very lame pitting overall.

Desmo, you’re fine by me… and Zimbali? Thanks for the heads up. You’re right… if I don’t like your posts I shouldn’t read them. So… fear not… I won’t. I’ve never seen you on the SDMB before. As I said, thanks for the heads up.

Zenster called you a berk. I don’t know what that is, but I’m guessing that it’s not a compliament.

Come on for fuck’s sake. Whaddaya gotta do to start a bitch-smacking session around here…

Sheesh.

P.S. - you should never sign your posts “pufter-boy”.

::Snicker::

I was endlessly amused how in a thread about how your looks stereotype you and how you challenge those stereotypes, Zabali comes in and presents herself as the most stereotypical goth imaginable. Pagan (who’d’ve guessed). People think I’m weird (yep). I’ve been doing this since I was sixteen (yes, that is the age to start that). Oh, hair with eggplant highlights - any day now, Loreal is going to start boxing that color. (BTW, I had mine in that lovely 1980s not natural maroon. Anyone who lived through that era knows exactly the shade I’m talking about, because it was what ALL the non-conformists were wearing).

Now to come into that thread and have said “I dress Goth, so a lot of people think I’m into paganism and witchcraft, but I teach Sunday school at the Luthern church and spend my Saturdays reading to the elderly at an old folks home” that would have challenged my stereotypes on Goths.

As it is, Zabali, you’ve held up mine admirably. See, I started from the premise that Goths (I know a bunch of them, as as I implied back in other thread, may have been considered as early 80s “goth” myself - in the Midwest, in a small town, where people don’t hear about fashion for a year) are, generally speaking, pretty nice and fairly normal people don’t steal cars or kill kittens, but are overwhelmingly pagan and almost always feel slightly persecuted by people who treat them with caution due to how they dress.

Demo,

Remind me not to get on your really bad side - if mildly irrating causes you to lash out with “crazy bitch” I’d hate to be on the other end of really annoying.

[minor hijack] Sometime around, oh say, 1995, a young friend of mine who used to routinely dress in black, had multiple piercings, wore leggings, painted his face and wore knee high boots with multiple buckles etc., stormed into my house, threw himself dramatically on the couch and wailed “I just don’t understood why people keep staring at me!” He didn’t understand why I couldn’t stop laughing.
[/minor hijack]

I don’t know Zabali or Demo but, to paraphrase Zoe, I guess you’ve got to speak up when something irritates you.

I’d hardly say, however, that Demo has a rotten heart. For all I know he very well may but I see no evidence to support that assertion here. I use the term bitch very lightly so calling someone or being called a crazy bitch isn’t that insulting to me. I do understand, however, that to others, being called a crazy bitch is unacceptable.

Although I hate the hugs and {{{username}}} business, too, I would never dream of calling someone on it.