"Baby bump" -- new phrase?

No of course not, I thought you might though :smiley:

Kidding, kidding, I nearly got into a lot of trouble with a girl once when I implied she wasn’t a lady. I only avoided a prolonged icy stare by going on to say that she was a woman, she seemed to prefer that for some reason.

If there’s a “bump” why do the tabloids assume the person is pregnant? Maybe she’s got a stomach like most people. Maybe the starlet ate a big meal. Gods forbid!

Any famous guys with baby bumps? As researcher, that would get my attention.

Bump is pretty common in Britain as far as I’m aware. My MIL (Scottish) sent a present addressed to “the baby bump” well before it was due.

I love the word “canoodle.” It was something that no one but us word nerds used to use, but I think it entered the popular idiom when Angelina Jolie and her brother spent the entire Oscar telecast canoodling, and the popular media picked up the term to describe it – no other word was so perfect.

–Cliffy

See, “baby bump” to me suggests a young bump. I suppose I could get used to it though.

Ditto to Bear_Nenno, it’s a stupid word and we don’t need it. “Pregnant” still works just fine.

As for canoodling, I rather like that one. It implies a giddy sense of fun that IMO should always be a part of The Act.

Use your imagination. :wink:

Because “Starlet PMSing and quite bloated! Pics inside!” sells fewer papers than “Young unmarried starlet knocked up!! Guess the daddy, pics inside!”?

I’d rather call it “brat fat”.

“tumid tummy”

“ab-flab”

If one more person calls me ‘preggers’ or ‘preggo’, I might fly into a hormone-induced rage and hurt them.

Bump only bothers me like it bothers me when we steal all kinds of phrases from the Brits. Of course, ElzaHub and I have picked up a ton of Britspeak after the enormous amount of BBC America and EastEnders we watch, so we probably can’t complain - not when we’re talking about ‘quid’ and ‘wonky’ and ‘wankers’ and ‘can’t be arsed’. :smiley:

E.

:smiley: Good point!

Makes sense to call it a baby bump.

After all, I certainly called Mrs. Butler “bumped up” when I got her pregnant with the Butlerette.