Backseat Hitmen (Off limits to living Mafia players)

Well, to be fair…while there have been a fair amount of asstute observations, I think it is about as good as if they were all still random. There have been just as many really bad ones. It was actually the breakdown of probability making the case for the usefullness of the beat cop that really impressed me. People are putting a lot more thought and work into playing this game than I would have.

I was gonna post a thread condemning Fern Forrest’s opinions, but then I remembered that she was on my “soon to die” list. If she’s not, that certainly says a lot doesn’t it?

Why does everyone think I was trying to out the good guys there?

Oh well, live and learn. Still, I just wanted to get people thinking about who was whom so that we don’t make mistakes. I’m vanilla, I’m no big loss, and even being down 4-0 now eyes turn toward who killed me. Not saying I’m good at this at all, but that was the basic reasoning behind the move–that. I should have said scum instead. Stupid 20/20 hindsight.

Oh, and storyteller– J’accuse!

:stuck_out_tongue:

Does anyone besides me think that Autolycus is going to get bumped off during the night? He seems to be ‘probable citizen, but not helping them’ and possibly just annoying people in the process. The town doesn’t seem to want to expend effort on him, and the Mafia probably figure he isn’t worth going after either, as he hasn’t tried to influence anyone yet. The SK or Vigilante might go after him since Autolycus appears to be a ‘safe’ kill.

Unless he is the SK, which is conceivable (but I suspect he doesn’t have a major role, which is why he created one for himself).

It is interesting in this game that the Vigilante is in a tough position early on. They don’t really know who is who, and they run the risk of killing a power player without any hope of them defending themselves. This may be why going for a likely citizen is better than a serious screw-up after a random choice. Later on, the Vig can act to go after suspected mafia at least when the votes are split.

Even more intriguing is what happens if the Vig gets killed early on. The SK then becomes a moderately valuable resource for the town, but they have to hope the Mafia manages to kill the SK (or they get lynched by accident), which will be tough since there aren’t any easy tells - the SK doesn’t have any inside information they can accidentally spill.

Nope… more like to be lynched. If he’s not mafia, he’s too valuable a diversion to the town to whack so soon. I’d expect them to go for **storyteller ** if my thoughts about him being mafia are incorrect. Otherwise, crapshoot on who gets it.

Well, that didn’t last too long. My money’s riding on it having been the Vigilante who got me, too. I don’t know how they’re going to manage, being one Mason down with no Detective and not having gotten a single member of the Mafia yet.

I’m just happy I finally get to read this thread.

Sorry you had to go so soon CaerieD, I thought you were doing a great job as the detective. If you had made it one more night you could have probably given them enough info for a lock on the win.

Thanks, NAF1138! But towards the end of the first day, I’d already figured I was toast because of attention getting drawn to me. I wish I could have stuck around just one more day, because I do think it would have made a big difference. The way I left it, though, I’m not too sure.

I think that chrisk’s idea got CaerieD killed by the mafia. I’m not sure if that was chrisk’s intention yet.

I’m pretty darn sure that Autolycus is vanilla town, otherwise he’s being *way *too dangerous with his posting style.

Fern Forrest really strikes me as being one of the bad guys, not quite sure why, but then again I’ve only been skimming the thread.

Rysto is town I think, possibly with a town role, perhaps mason.

I’m willing to bet that at least one of the mafia was a player in the werewolf game as well.

*off topic
Being the cop is not always easy. After the first game started, I signed up on mafiascum.net for a game and was dealt the role of cop. There were only 7 players, 2 mafia, a cop, a doc, and three townies. Votes started flying on day 1 based on nothing, as always happens. I tossed out a vote for a guy that hadn’t said much (a lurker vote, but it hadn’t really been that long since he’d posted) just to get things moving.

One of the other posters decides that I’m scum, and makes it his mission to make everyone else think so too. We lynched a townie on day 1 :(, and the mafia killed the Doc on night 1 :mad:.

I investigated the guy that was riding me like a stolen horse, and guess what, he’s scum. Day two starts and he points the finger at me again, so I had to role claim, and luckily I nailed a scum. Obviously he claims that I’m lying, mostly because the town is in a LyLo (lynch (correctly) or lose) situation. All I have to go on is my word, and nobody trust me, mostly because I was less than adept in my posts.

So, if the town decides I’m lying, we lose, if not we have a slim chance of winning because I die the next night anyways. This is all on DAY TWO!! Huge games may be difficult to some degree, but really small ones can go downhill really fast.

dnooman - Yeah, the cop role is very difficult. I messed up by not obfuscating my breadcrumbs well enough, though I’m not sure it was the Mafia that got me, since I think I made myself look like scum to the Vigilante rather than a power role to the Mafia. That fits with what I picked up from my investigations on the two nights I got to investigate, at any rate. I’d realized I’d messed up before they lynched Enfant Terrible, but things moved so fast there wasn’t time to do damage control.

Aside from the two roles I confirmed, I think that Rysto is probably townie, possibly a power role.

I’m pretty sure that MadTheSwine is scum. He gave me a vibe in that direction from the start, but I didn’t last long enough to check it out further.

What were those again? Mennochio was one right?

I’m trying to be cagey in case people from the game are lurking in here. If I get NAF1138’s permission, I’ll happily explain what I learned from my investigations and what it makes me think of the game.

Oh, duh. I thought that it was already stated explicitly somewhere in the thread and I just missed it. By all means, keep it a secret until it’s moot. I would never ask for someone to divulge secret info, especially if it could affect the game in progress.

I’m curious though.

looking really bad for town isn’t it.

dnooman - Believe me, it’s killing me to sit on the two confirmations I have, but my worry is someone cheating purposefully by coming in here now that the Detective can speak “freely.” The temptation for that would be pretty overpowering!

It doesn’t look too good for the town now. I can see a few good players talking a little too openly about strategizing with the Vigilante and SK, too, which concerns me. Chances are good somebody in that group is Mafia and the others are foolishly outing themselves as power roles. Meanwhile, not a single Mafioso has died.

floats through thread on gossamer wings made of righteous fury and vengeance
Wait. Wrong gear. That’s the Avenging Angel’s getup.

Yeah, and besides, if anyone deserves a little fury and vengeance it’s me. Get in line. :stuck_out_tongue:

No kidding! I’d look pretty closely at the people who jumped on the bandwagon against you, if I was still in the game. I’d be willing to bet at least half of them were Mafia.

On the plus side, apparently we have nachos in here.

Revenge is a dish best served with hot cheese and jalapenos.

Wanna know what’s really awful? I was writing a fairly robust defense the night before it all went down. But the system timed out. At the time, Autolycus was way ahead in the voting, so I think: “Eh, it’s probably safe to wait.”

:smack: