Banning Cell Phone Use In Cars

Think about what you do when talking on the phone. Most people zone out a bit, the focus is not on the surroundings but on the person on the other end of the conversation. When you talk to someone in person it seems that most people don’t zone out on the local environment like they do when talking on a cell. Next time you are with someone who takes a call, watch them. Most people get that ‘I’m looking around but not actually seeing anything’ look.

I know I zone out when I am on the phone. Hell, I can barely type and talk on the phone at the same time.

Slee

All the studies have found that the distraction of cellphone usage while driving was the conversation, not holding the phone up to your head. People who want to talk on a device while driving like to use the passenger excuse, but it is different.

We got an anti-distracted driving law in Alberta about a year ago, and after the first blitz of enforcement, I’d say it has made little difference here. I see people talking on cellphones and texting while driving daily. I don’t know for sure, but it seems like enforcement of the laws is non-existent, and people know that and act accordingly.

I think the only way we’re going to see people stopping cellphone usage and texting while driving is to put signal jammers in cars - everyone thinks they can talk safely while driving, and everyone is wrong.

Most people that I see on the phone don’t even have the looking around thing going on, they just stare at a blank part of space like the person they’re talking to is there.

[quote=“Drunky_Smurf, post:20, topic:633141”]

Well, speaking only for myself, I keep my cellphone usage to a minimum when I drive. I don’t have a problem talking on the phone while driving but I am aware that others do. I don’t have pointless conversations while driving…they are very brief and concise and I don’t text while driving. The point I was making is that I am skilled enough as a driver that I don’t need a passenger’s input to prevent anything from happening because that’s my job as the driver, whether I am on the phone or not. My eyes don’t leave the road as I tell to my phone to place a call and I can answer or end calls by feel. I am not going to say that it isn’t a little bit distracting, because it is, but its no less so than blaring the radio or eating while driving. In fact, eating is worse, at least for me.

As long as they don’t ban playing video games on your Nintendo DS then I’m good

To me this is harder to do than talking on the phone while driving.

Uh huh - have you actually tested this with a local driving instructor or something? I believe that everyone who is still talking on cellphones while driving believes this, while the people driving around them are looking on in disbelief as they speed up and slow down, weave in and out of their lane, make changes without signals, and generally Mr. Magoo their way down the street.

I have seen other people do exactly as you describe, but I don’t do that, ever. Again, I am not going to say that being on the phone while driving doesn’t diminish my ability to drive at all, because it does, just like having a couple beers then driving would. And by a couple I mean exactly two. I am comfortable driving in either scenario. And please believe me when I say that I rarely talk on the phone while driving and anyone that calls me has to immediately get to the point. If I am in heavy traffic, a snowstorm, or anything like that, I won’t answer or place a call.

Actually talking to other teens in the same car is EXTREMELY distracting for teenage drivers. It is one of the most significant crash risks identified for teenaged drivers. (http://www.cdc.gov/motorvehiclesafety/teenbrief/). In states with graduated licesning, you have to pass a probationary period before you can have other teens in the car. So, I wouldn’t say it is MORE distracting that talking with people in the car, but that is extremely distracting, and often forbidden to beginner drivers. I have no problem whatsoever forbidding its logical equivalent, hands-free cell phones, for teen drivers.

Wow, that’s a great cite. When you put it that way…I suppose you’re right. And me with two boys aged 10 and 7…its only a matter of time before I hear “Dad…can I borrow the Mustang tonight?”

You had me worried for a minute, but I looked it up. Yes, in Indiana texting is out for everyone (I knew this) but cell phone use is only prohibited for people under 18.

Also, it is considered a primary law so you can be pulled over for that alone.

Re attention: When my wife is talking to someone in person, I can interrupt her readily. When she is on the phone, she is uninterruptable. My mother was exactly the same way. I have two conjectures as to possible explanations. First, when the other person or persons are there, they can see and hear me and it is less distracting. But another possible explanation is that it simply requires more attention to talk on the phone. Why? When you talk in person all sorts of non-verbal cues accompany the conversation. They are missing when you talk on the phone and the same amount of communication simply needs closer attention. Both explanations could play a role. If I am a passenger, I can see that there might be a problem requiring me to shut up. But also, I can see that the driver is paying particular attention to the road situation and desist from talking. It is a totally different situation from talking on the phone. And texting! Well, that is really too much. Why not read a novel while driving? Many years ago, I was passing someone on the Indiana Toll road (I-90) and I realized he had a book resting on his steering wheel. As I passed him, I glanced over and it was a bible! May god help him.

The laws where I am.

No talking/texting/operation a phone while driving unless it’s in a hands-free mount and can be voice operated.

I think there is another way. As I noted in some other post around here (this cellphone/driving topic has come up before, as well), the legislators could resist the insurance companies’ lobbying efforts and money and throw the matter back into the insurance companies’ laps: Just as they routinely include clauses that reduce or refuse claims payments for Acts of God or inuries received while participating in riots, they can include a simple clause that says they can refuse to pay a claim for injuries received while simultaneouslly operating a cell phone and a vehicle. Pair that with a very fragile clock that will stop during a collision and, if there’s any doubt, the carrier’s records can be subpeonaed and the time-of-incident correlated with the last-time-of-connection.

People can either pay more for additional insurance to cover their distracted driving or they can save money and leave the phone off. I think when people realize there’s a real financial loss (repairing a crumpled bumper costs more out-of-pocket than an DWD ticket) involved with any cellular usage while driving, they’ll knock it off.
—G!

“I’m sorry, Billy, but my insurance policy
forbids active participation in a gun battle.
Can’t have that runnin’ out now!”
. —Alex McSween (Terry O’Quinn)
. declining Billy’s offer of
. a pistol to defend his house.
. Young Guns

Aside from the fact that your proposal doesn’t provide any particular disincentive for running over a pedestrian, its main flaw is that it doesn’t address the fundamental problem: people believe that they can drive safely while on the phone. Your proposal isn’t going to affect them because they won’t get in an accident.

The only way we’re going to stop people from phoning/texting while driving is by somehow convincing them that it’s too damn dangerous.

If a driver is caught, the Police should be able to confiscate the driver’s phone. Pick it up when you come to court for your hearing or when you begin paying the hefty insurance surcharge. If it’s really that dangerous to others on the road or to pedestrians, what’s wrong with that punishment?

Driving? Hell, it should be illegal to walk and use the cellphone. I can’t count the number of times pedestrians have wandered into the crosswalk against the light and into my driving path because they’re just chattering away into that stupid little box.

The Washington State cell phone law is crap. It is a violation only if you are caught holding a cell phone to your ear. Using it in any other position is not a violation. Some law enforcement agencies will enforce the law more strictly than others. The fine is $124.

I think there needs to be an incentive for law enforcement to actually do their job:
[ul]
[li]Double the base fine to $250. Subsequent offenses within a year trigger a doubling of the fine ($500 then $1,000), with the real kicker, … an 80 percent kickback of the fine imposed back to the department issuing the ticket. Yeah, make it a revenue raiser and tell the public about it.[/li][li]If the cellphone abuse contributed to an accident, make it a minimum $2,000 fine.[/li][li]Make it a recordable offense so it impacts upon the abuser’s insurance rates.[/li][/ul]

===========
I live in southern California; and although we do have a pretty good cell phone usage fine, I still see many people driving with a cell phone to their ear; or holding the phone in front of them (speakerphone). I even see it happening on the 5 freeway, where it is especially dangerous. Most Californian drivers are speed crazy.

Another reason phone conversations take more attention than in-person conversations, at least for me, is sound quality. My hearing is normal, so far as I can determine without having had it professionally tested, but I do have to pay more attention on the phone to clearly understand what the other person is saying. Speech seems clearer in person.