Because the Straight Dope tells me so - things learned from the Dope.

Too many things in GQ to list, but the one that really stands out for some reason is that I thought astronauts were weightless when orbiting the earth because gravity was so weak out there. No - they’re weightless because of their angular momentum offsets the force of gravity. If they weren’t moving so fast around the Earth, they’d plummet to the surface. (I think Chronos may have put it this way - they are falling to the Earth, but are moving so fast sideways that they keep missing!)

That my wedding ring fits up my nose!

As a relative newby to the SDMB I feel like a grasshopper from all the stuff I’ve learned. In fact I’ll just hit refresh all day and start a tally! :slight_smile:

If you think about it, your finger fits up your nose, and your ring fits around your finger. Ipso ergito cogita sum, or something like that.

(I’ve learned that I never have to look anything up - just post something close, and the anal nitpickers will do my work for me. :slight_smile: But I’ve probably said too much…)

Wait, what? I mean to say, what? No shaving cream or even soap? What in the Honeybaked hell are people up to these days?

Joe

I’ve never put my finger that FAR up my nose. And I’ll take everyone’s word on the ring thing.

Haven’t you ever wanted to tickle your brain?

Wait, what? Just use water? I have not heard this, and must hear more!

You don’t have to.Read about it here.

They got a pill for that.

I argued about this with my daughter, who was convinced it is sherbert. I told her to Google sherbert. She did. The screen said, “Did you mean sherbet?”

The one that stays with me is that ponies are not young horses. Who knew?
mmm

Merriam-Webster says that both are acceptable, in fact.

I myself have learned nothing from the Dope, not because I am omniscient but because I am so dense. :slight_smile:

Everybody but you, I’m afraid. :slight_smile:

It works with ‘The Yellow Rose of Texas’, too.

just search for threads with " going no poo" or shampoo in the thread title.
Due to those threads, I haven’t washed my sons hair with shampoo since his birth and he always gets compliments on his hair.

A couple of decades ago I spent a couple of years “no poo” - I shaved my head bald then just scrubbed my hair in water every day. Never cut it, never shampooed it. It grew out long and lustrous and glossy. Really amazing.

But back then I was a smelly hippy. I didn’t care about my odor. I used to hide half-smoked joints in my hair, for goodness’ sake. Now I have short hair and work in a corporate environment where people are sensitive to natural odors - if I were to try this again (particularly because I smoke), is there anything I could do to keep it at least smelling neutral?

Okay, I hate you.
Not really but this is going to consume the rest of my evening and/or paycheck.

Sure. The idea is washing your hair just as often as you would with shampoo, but leaving out the shampoo and conditioner. Just use water. There is also a school which recommends using a little baking soda (a known de-odorant) as “soap” and a bit of apple vinegar as rinse.

Command-space for Spotlight, and using it as a calculator - I’m doing it!

I learned that nachos really is a plural of nacho and rhymes with chose, and not a mass noun that rhymes with joss. And so all those times I corrected the ignorami, I was they. One of them.

He showered with a chicken? :eek: That’s just sick.

OK, now that’s cool. You just saved me about 15 trips to widget-land per day.

Well, I was absolutely horse crazy when I was a girl, and I’d still love to be able to have a horse. At any rate, I devoured all sorts of horsy knowledge, and I can tell you the difference between hotbloods, warmbloods, and coldbloods, and give you examples of each. I know that horses and donkeys and ponies and zebras are all different species. I know the difference between a mule and a hinny.

I think that pretty much any woman who was moderately horse crazy, and also has at least a moderate amount of intellectual curiousity, would know that ponies are NOT young horses.

Apparently, though, the writers of the Beyond Zork computer game didn’t know, because a unicorn is described as being “just a pony”, apparently referring to her size or youth.