Best anti-anxiety medication that worked for you?

Honestly, chiropractic care (although not a drug it worked on me). After I saw a chiropractor and had my back and neck adjusted my anxiety seems to have gone away.

I still have issues with rumination and other psychological problems, but the deep seated feeling something is wrong seems to have gone. Of course it could just be a coincidence. But during a one month period I had about half a dozen adjustments and the anxiety went away during that period.

But in keeping with the OP: Alcohol. Not something to use daily but it works for me.

Hey, can I have some of that coincidence? I understand the need to study this stuff rigorously before recommending it as a valid form of treatment, but on an individual level I’m a huge fan of whatever works. I really don’t give a shit if the pills I take every morning are only working via the placebo effect - they are goddamn working!

I was prescribed a bit of Lorazepam on a take-as-needed basis while dealing with some work stress that’s been triggering anxiety attacks. It’s worked ridiculously well for me. It takes maybe half an hour to kick in and then the anxiety attack is over like it never happened. I can tell it slows down my thinking a bit, but that’s all - it just makes me very deliberate in what I’m doing, which is not a bad thing for me. I do have a family history of addictions and I know I’ve got that tendency too, so I’m being very careful. I’m taking 1 mg maybe once every two weeks.

A couple orgasms also do wonders for the next day or so. :wink:

When I suffer from rumination, I usually get excellent relief with Pepto-Bismol.

Yep, I’m educated as to your statement. In the rare instance where cannabis is not available, what works for me is a ten milligram vitamin V and a few beers. But honestly “anxiety” requiring pharmacological intervention is something I experience rarely.

Xanax for quicker short term use like an anxiety attack

Valium and klonopin have a longer half life making them better for extended anxiety issues or insomnia.

Benzos are not good for long term use although there are some folks that use them for years at low doses and their tolerance stays low.

SSRI’s for long term but many folks have issues with them. Seroquel is another but has plenty of SE’s.

I think med MJ is very sporadic in effectiveness for anxiety. Many actually get a reverse reaction. You cannot get a med clearance for med MJ for anxiety as far as I know. They are trying to approve it for PTSD in some locations.

Herbal- Kava would be a good one only if you get clean true kava kava. Making your own drinks from it is blech in my opionion.

Inderal- good for some for quick short term especially related to performance anxiety. It’s a beta blocker.

There are many options out there. Just be careful with benzos. I only use them for sleep.

If they made a drug that washed the toxic pollutants in my mind out I’d gladly take it. I am a failed human being who is corroded by bitterness and resentment.

Xanax. Vodka. Weed.

Wesley Clark come sit by me. We’ll write The Great American Novel, which will be made into a movie and later produced on Broadway.

Happiness doesn’t sell. Other people’s pain does. :cool:

I’ve read that “anti-anxiety” medications actually cause anxiety. Doctors prescribe them to keep you anxious, so you’ll buymore medicine, etc.

That’s about the point where I decided to return that book to the library.

Alcohol.

Sounds like a plan.

Well, who isn’t corroded by those things? But more importantly, are you dangerous and drunk and defeated and corroded by failure and envy and hate?

Buzzkill. Just sayin.

She used her body just like a bandage/She used my body just like a wound

Classic.

For me, Lexapro and then Ativan* for emergencies.

*But last time I tried it, my heart raced and I couldn’t sleep. My safety net didn’t keep me safe that time.

Only during endless winters when my dreams freeze, nowhere to hide and no leaves on the trees.

damnit, i’m never going to get that song out of my head now.

You may need medication for that. :wink:

Does it make it to all four stomachs?

Mu. :slight_smile:

This

and this.

I started Paxil in 1999 and switched to Effexor XR in 2006. It’s been a lifesaver for me.

Yup me too.

I’m on Lexapro for the general anxiety that was constantly with me. It has worked miracles. But I had to use Xanax for the panic attacks before the Lex kicked in and kept them from starting. I don’t think I’ve needed a Xanax in months, but it makes me more confident knowing I have it just in case.