Best Lovecraft tribute story/book you've read?

Charles Stross: I love the Laundry series (reads like Delta Green novelizations), and “A Colder War” as well.

I also love Gaiman’s Shoggoth’s Old Peculiar and Elizabeth Bear’s*Shoggoths In Bloom*.

I read through that today. It was really well done. I hope the author does finish it.

Seconded on all counts. Stephen King’s 1980 short story “Crouch End” is also good.

Not a book but, I enjoy The Unspeakable Vault (of Doom).

Thanks again for all of the wonderful suggestions. Our local library has quite a few of them, I do like to read something before buying it.

The best pastiche, and also the most hilarious, is Resume with Monsters.

Ever wanted to know why your corporate job was soul-sucking? :smiley:

Lots of great Lovecraftian swag here: http://www.cthulhulives.org/

Sweet! Thanks :slight_smile: I realized that I needed a Miskatonic University sticker for my car and got an error message when I tried to order it I got an error message, so now I has a sad face.

Funny story…a while back I was summoned for Federal Jury Duty. One of the questions they were asking was what we had on our cars and what they meant. That’s actually pretty thoughtful, if you stop and think about it. I have a license plate cover that says “Houston Public Library, so many books so little time”. No problem there. I also have a Cluthlu fish. So I got to stand up in a federal courtroom and try to explain that little joke to a federal judge. :smack: It was a very surreal moment in my life.

It saddens me to report that Larry Latham, the author of Lovecraft is Missing has passed away. This is according to a message that his widow put up on his website. She says that she and some friends of his will be working to try to see the story through to its conclusion.

While I enjoy the straight Lovecraft knockoffs, I think the main reason Lovecraft’s works work is because they’re so weird. When you have yet another betentacled horror from beyond, or eerie light from past the stars, or old gods, it’s kind of old hat, not so creepy.

Which is why my recommendation is “Details,” by China Mieville, in his book Looking for Jake. It’s clearly a Lovecraftian monster, but it is different from any one that Lovecraft wrote about, an taps into the same eeriness Lovecraft tapped into.

And if you want a longer story with Lovecraftian dread, consider anything by Jeff Van der Meer, especially the series beginning with Annihilation and moving into Authority. It’s dreadful in the best possible way.

Stephen King’s short story “Jerusalem’s Lot” is outstanding, IMO. It’s in his collection *Night Shift *which has many other fantastic stories.

Mr. Excellent had a good post here, with The Marmite Horror.

I like Marmite.

I’ve got a copy of The Courtyard. It’s definitely a good piece. BUT, I don’t count it as Lovecraftian despite the many references to the Mythos.

I feel this way largely because
. Of the revelation that Aklo is some language from the human collective unconscious. Lovecraft couldn’t be more clear that all the horrors are utterly and totally alien to the human experience.

Check out Necronomicon and Alhazred, by Donald Tyson – not your usual Lovecraftian fare, Tyson is some sort of ceremonial magician.

Not fiction, but every Lovecraft aficionado/collector should have a copy of The Necronomicon Files, by Daniel Harms and John Wisdom Gonce III – tells the whole story of the Necronomicon in popular culture.

Here’s a pic of me in my Cultist outfit.

He waits and dreams in the deep and the cities of man shall fall before Him!

WRT the Jeeves and Wooster story above, if I were more well-versed in Lovecraft’s writings, would I have any reason to recognize Jeeves’s acquaintances from the British Museum as coming from a specific story, and if so, which one(s)?

You mean the things they face off against, or the people who help him - they aren’t from any Mythos stories, they’re from other stories (Dracula, Rider Haggard, Virginia Woolf, the Carnacki shorts) via The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen comics (specifically, the Edwardian iteration of the League) - being versed in Lovecraft won’t help, being versed in Victorian/Edwardian/Interwar fiction would.

Several people have mentioned the short story “A Study in Emerald”. I just wanted to add that it’s been adapted into a board game. The basic premise is that the elder gods have taken over the world and the players are people living under their rule and trying to organize underground movements. Complicating the situation is each player is assigned an allegiance - some players are rebels trying to overthrow the elder gods and other players are collaborators trying to defend their regime. And everybody’s allegiance is a secret until the end of the game.

Came in here to suggest Stephen King’s The Mist and a book by an author whose name I forgot, but the book is called The Darkness on the Outside of Town. Both are kinda the same.

That said, after perusing this thread it looks like I have a lot of new stuff to read! :slight_smile:

Clearly “my friend” is Professor Moriarty, but who isthe narrator, “S______ M_______ Major (Ret’d)”?