Best of the Rest of the Top 40: 1968

Interesting how although Cowboys to Girls is the winner on the poll, no one posted to say why they voted for it.

I voted for it because Little Sonny Brown’s voice is so raw and affecting on that number that just thinking about it can raise the hairs on my arms. So emotive and wonderful.

…I believe you’re looking at the score for “Born To Be Wild”, which is located directly above it.

“Cowboys To Girls” currently has a grand total of one votes.

D’oh!

He wasn’t. He was huge, but he was a quintessential “album artist”; one of the first in rock. The albums he released during his lifetime all charted in the Top 5, and *Electric Ladyland *made #1.

That’s in America, of course. In England he *did *start out with a run of hit singles, as songs like “Purple Haze” and “Hey Joe” weren’t included on the British edition of his first album, so people had to buy the singles to get them.

“I Wish It Would Rain” wins my vote in a tight contest over “Sunshine of Your Love,” “The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly,” and “Midnight Confessions.” “The Horse” gets an honorable mention; I always associate with high school and college basketball games because bands often used to play it.

“Yummy Yummy Yummy” runs away with the dreaded dead-ass last spot.

I voted for “Spooky” just because I worked with the guy who wrote it, a dynamite honky-tonk piano player. That’s a good enough reason, ain’t it?

He wrote a sequel called “Skootchy.” A little less fame for that one.

Of course. :smack:

No, it tells you what age bracket was buying all of those 45 RPM singles.

I bought my first 45 when I was 11; I bought my last one when I was 16, IIRC. And this was during the 1965-1970 period.

Was I perfectly representative of my generation? Probably not. But probably not way, way off either.

I don’t believe I’ve ever managed to vote for the winner in one of these polls, but this is the first time I’ve felt strongly enough to speak up about it. “Born to be Wild” is one of the most pretentious songs ever written. It sums up everything that was stupid about the sixties.

I voted for the timeless classic “Angel of the Morning”.

I’d never heard that song until now. Too bad they stole the main riff from the Stones’ On with the Show, released a half year previously.

Well, how 'bout that. They do sound very similar. The song’s wiki says:

*Midnight Confessions *for me.

Born to be Wild. Awesome song and one of the first 45 rpm singles I owned. I’ve heard it so many times in the ensuing years on Classic Rock and Oldies stations that I’m rather burned out on it now…but that doesn’t make it less awesome or iconic.

Voted for “Those Were the Days” by Mary Hopkin. Just a really, really beautiful song based on an old Russian tune.

Cream or Steppenwolf? Steppenwolf, my favorite band as a toddler, per my parents.

1968- my freshman and sophomore years in college. Those were the days, my friend. I wish they had never ended.

Lot of great songs on that list (and two real stinkers: “Simon Says” and “Yummy Yummy Yummy”) but for me it’s “Midnight Confessions” all the way.

“Yummy Yummy Yummy” is a musical abomination that should never have happened.

*Born to Be Wild, *by a mile.

I voted for “Spooky” by the band whose most hits contained one titles: “Stormy” and “Traces”. Their hits were some what sad, like “Everyday With You Girl”.

Dennis Yost died some years ago.

I like the Cream song, especially the guitars and percussion and while the Steppenwolf song reminds me of a guy riding his motorcycle on the desert road and is somewhat iconic, the Cream song is superior.

“Spooky” was co-written by Harry Middlebrooks. He was alive when I last talked to him, about 5 years ago.