Betelgeuse becoming a black hole.

There goes the neighborhood!

(Ba-dum-tish) :smiley:

The marigolds will be hardy, too. But it’s not looking good for the local rabbit population.

(Anyone else see that as a nine-year-old expecting mutant marigolds and actual monsters? Rip-Off!!!)

Fine, thank you.

How does one pronounce the name of this star?

The standard English pronunciation is “beetle juice”. I don’t know how close that is to the original Arabic, but of course that’s only relevant to Arabic-speakers.

Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse

Well now I know. Had no idea where Beetle Juice came from.

I was wondering how a guy, an ordinary Joe like myself, might get a little action around here?

Nice fucking message board! honk honk!

“Honk Honk! It’s the Bonk!”

<nitpick>

The supernova explosion won’t cause the black hole.

Both the supernova explosion, and the black hole, will be caused by the rapid collapse of the star’s core after it starts fusing iron into heavier elements. (The core’s held up primarily by radiation pressure from its thermonuclear activity, but iron fusion is endothermic, so when it commences the core’s energy production basically vanishes.)

</nitpick>

I have a star question…

How many stars did it take to form the Earth? How many stars had to go supernova to form all the elements found on Earth? Would 1 star be enough? How about all the objects in our solar system?

Not directly applicable to Betelgeuse since Kepler isn’t pointing that way, but while looking for signs of occultation by planets, the Kepler observatory has been able to monitor subtle recurrent brightness changes in some of the red giants in it’s field of view. On the basis of this astronomers are now able to say which of those stars have begun to burn helium in their cores and which haven’t:

So maybe a similar spacecraft dedicated to Betelgeuse could determine if, say, it was in it’s last century or less of life.

Ok, but doesn’t a star lose mass when it goes nova?

Yes, most of it gets blasted away in the explosion. I’m not sure what your question is beyond that, though.

Ok, but the gravitational effect would change as a result then? I’m just trying to clear up the posts. I wasn’t sure if some were saying the gravitational effect wouldn’t change, but that was just in reference to the difference between a star before and after becoming a black hole, not counting the mass gone as a result of a nova, i think.

I’ve also heard it said with the same vowel sound as “beta”.

If mass gets blasted past you, then the gravity you feel would decrease. When I said that the Sun’s gravity would not change, I meant if the Sun’s entire mass were converted to a black hole (by whatever unknown means; we don’t know of any way it could happen).

Thanks, these may seem like stupid questions to you, but with physics I’ve got to make sure I’m getting the facts straight. Too many things defy common sense, so it’s not that obvious to me.

You’re correct. I oversimplified.