Biology majors: Question about identical twins

lemur corrects your misconceptions very nicely. I just want to add that the process of making the gametes (eggs and sperm) in the first place is called meiosis, & it splits and shuffles the chromosmes quite well. Mitosis is the process in which somatic cells divide.

Thanks for the clarification, lemur. I forgot about linkage and crossing over during the diploid phases Perhaps that is why my cloning industry has yet to adequately produce-
…oops, I said too much. Gotta go…

My two cents… My sister and I look identical, had one placenta present at birth, and have had a gazillion blood tests that suggest we are identical, however my sister is colour-blind and I am not. It has been suggested that one of us went through some kind of mutation whilst still a cluster of cells, hence the difference. Indeed, my mother and brother are colour-blind, which indicates that my father carries the gene (since it’s recessive on the X chromosome, right?), which all suggests that I should have turned out colour-blind. Does that all make sense?

My nieces looks like good candidates for polar twins. They are 8 now and belived to be fraternal twins. Although I can’t stand them apart. Both looks the same to me, except one is left handed and other one is right handed.

Um…sorta. Your brother would have gotten his Y chromosome from his father, and his X chromosome from his mother. So the fact that he’s color-blind indicates only that your mother is at least a carrier. Since she is, in fact, colorblind, that means she has two copies of the gene (assuming we’re talking about X-linked red/green colorblindness, and not some other type).

Now, if your sister is colorblind, that means she has two copies of the gene as well, which means that she got a bad X from your father. However, since you’re not colorblind, that would indicate that you got a good X from your father. Since your father only has one X to give, you’re right - there probably was a new mutation somewhere along the line. Tell your parents to have another girl, so you can figure out which one is the mutant. :smiley: