Brands that used to be prestigious, and now are cheap

I used to have an absolutely lovely tobacco colored leather Coach bag. It was beautifully made and I adored it. I carried it for years, because it looked great for years. When I went to replace it, Coach was like a different place. I definitely didn’t want a fabric bag with huge buckles that said COACH COACH COACH all over it. We had to break up.

About 20 years ago I had a SOG knife that was one of the best I’ve ever had. I bought one of their knives a couple of months ago and it already has a bent clip and a loose blade. The quality is not even in the same league.

FWIW the outlet store is shitty, but if you go to an actual Coach store there products are still high quality leather goods - no hideous letter bags.

The difference between bags from each is basically like different brands.

Bud Ice was initially marketed as a premium beer, including sponsoring the NHL. Now, it is a discount beer found next to the college beers.

I’ll agree with the nomination of Coach. It’s just expensive enough to be sold in department stores, but really not expensive enough that every woman who can throw away $150 on a purse doesn’t have at least one.

Pyrex used to be made out of borosilicate glass, now it’s just tempered glass. But its quality still seems very good, I hit a bowl while chopping some bones and it only got a barely visible chip, the knife got dented.

Because we all know *fat *women cant be fashionable…:rolleyes:

Gilligan & O’Malley lingerie and sleepwear used to be a top brand. Now found at Target.

Yes, in the late 90s, they weren’t cheap and I loved them. Probably $50 or more for any that I bought then. Now, I can’t even find them. And when I do, they’re nothing like I remember (cheap and low quality), might as well go to Wal-Mart and get generics as compared to them.

Remember when Godiva Chocolates used to be sold at exactly two places in the United States (one of which was South Coast Plaza)? Now they are in freaking Walgreens.

Of course they can, just not in a Patriots jacket carrying a tacky-ass purse while sporting a mullet.

I don’t think that’s what she meant. She was just painting a picture, and I see what she means…a certain kind of dumpy walmart style that some chunky women who aren’t very fashion conscious wear. There is a skinny version of non-stylish too, but that isn’t the picture she was expressing at the moment.

I am here to defend Coach. Coach used to be very exclusive, (and expensive!) but they did ‘sell out’ so to speak…becoming more affordable.

I don’t think they ever started making crap though…Macy’s still carries very nice, soft leather bags (as does the Coach store). Full leather, not just leather trim.

You can find the leather trim bags, but those will more likely be found at Marshall’s or some other outlet. Even the leather trim bags (which I don’t like) aren’t crap though. The whole “Coach” logo all over the place is seen as obscene and gauche, I know, but it really isn’t any different than what Louis Vuitton and others do on their very highend stuff. It’s just that there is a section of society where having brazen logos can be seen as trying way too hard, so you are judged harshly. If you are rich, that danger becomes less, and you can get away with it. In other words, Elizabeth Taylor could drip in diamonds and not be scene as vulgar, but if a woman who hits the lotto does it, she will be looked down on. Interesting to me to watch that sort of thing.

Anyway, I just want to say, as the owner of exactly one classic black leather Coach bag that I have had for about 13 years, they are still well made, very nice bags. They are definitely not on the level they used to be though; I agree with that.

Gerber knives.

I with you - I’m getting this one for my birthday:

it’s…delightful.

Then why mention fat? Cant a skinny woman be wearing the same jacket with the same hairstyle?

Why mention that she was a woman? Or that she had hair, or liked the Patriots?

Hunter wellies. Once made famous by Princess Diana, they were THE wellies to be seen wearing, they were helluva expensive too.

They are still expensive ~ €100 a pair, but the quality of them had gone downhill, apparently they were made in Scotland originally (and one pair lasted you an adult lifetime) now they’re made somewhere else and fall to bits or spring leaks within hours/days/weeks.

I’m not sure it fits exactly with the OP, because Burberry is still VERY expensive, but the Burberry check certainly suffered an identity crisis, thanks in large part to fake copies appearing. The combination of people with more money than taste draping themselves in Burberry check, alongside the brand becoming a popular part of gang/yoof culture led to a partial downfall in its cred.

The brand has worked hard to overcome this and in itself is still very upmarket. It downplays the Burberry check these days.

To give you something to rage about. I was worried you were having a dull evening.

Nzinga, Coach does still make some beautiful leather bags, but IMO they’ve profoundly diluted the brand with all the fabric logo stuff. To be fair, the same applies to Dooney and a few other brands that decided to start marketing brightly colored, poorly made, obscenely expensive (relative to quality) purses to fourteen year olds.

But then you need to include the meth descriptors.