Breaking Bad 5.13 "To'hajiilee" 9/8/13

God this show is good. The fake money photo… so perfect.

I do agree that everyone’s aim seemed ridiculously bad there, but I’ve also read that even trained police miss some ridiculous percentage of shots fired in anger…
(And the interaction between Junior and Saul was classic.)

To be honest I thought the machinations of this episode - Hank and Gomez tricking Huell with their fake brains photo, Walt seeing Brock, Jesse’s money scheme - were maybe a little over the top. It’s one thing if Walt is a brilliant schemer and it’s a little different if half the people on the show are just as good as he is. But the last 10 minutes or so were amazing, classic Breaking Bad suspense- I was sure the Nazis were coming and the dread was almost unbearable. Everything was going to explode. I can’t say I care if Todd and Uncle Jack and Kenny and their scuzzbag friends bite the big one, but it doesn’t look good for Hank and Jesse and Gomez.

That and all the guns, sure.

I’m thinking/hoping that Hank’s comments about the tribal police were set-up and they’ll save at least a part of the day, though whatever else happens I fear Gomez is on Team Redshirt.

Hmm, I’ve got to disagree there. I don’t think this show should have anything close to a happy ending. If Hank lives it’s going to be with the disappointment in not getting Walter.

It’s not half the people on the show, just Hank.

And, it’s what Hank does for a living, I think it’s fair to say that he can be clever once in a while (dead Jesse picture, tricking Huell, ‘money shot’).

Also, Jesse’s idea for flushing out Walt, directly parallel Walt’s idea for flushing out Jesse. Each of them tried to get the other to think the thing they cared about was in trouble, in each case it wasn’t, it was just a trick.

So does Todd have the hots for Lydia?

On a non-plot relevant sidenote, the actor who plays Todd (Jesse Plemons) is quite hot.

:eek::eek::eek:

It was more than a little over the top. I think this was certainly the most disappointing episode of the season, likely more.

Walt’s tragic flaw is his pride, not garden-variety greed and impulsiveness. He’s been ruined before, calmly reorganized, and made it all back even when he believed he had cancer. He tells us himself that he’s not in it for the money; he’s in it for the lolz. This was a disappointing way to get him in the same place as Jesse and Hank. Walt’s plans are satisfying because they are ingenious. Hank’s and Jesse’s plans worked because everyone else suffered a momentary loss of reason. Pride goeth before destruction, and a haughty spirit before the fall. This did not deliver.

The last few minutes were solid shootout fare, but it hardly makes up for the sausage the show had to make of itself to get there.

As soon as Walt gave himself up, I knew that the Nazis would be coming.

Amazing episode. Solid tension from beginning to end.

Jesse, Hank and Gomie are goners. No way the Nazis let them live. They’re going to kill them and hide all of the evidence.

The Nazis don’t know anything about the buried money. They have no idea why Walt met them there. They might have reasoned that Walt told them to call it off under coercion which was why they showed.

Maybe they find the money when they are digging a hole to bury Hank. Maybe Todd dies in the shootout and they really need him to do some cooks and they use the threat of harm to Walt Jr as leverage.

This show really delivers. They always answer the hanging question from the previous episode right away.

Since the first time he met her.

Big time.

Several things bothered me about this episode.

The most egregious was Huell. The dude works for a lawyer but just lets himself get taken into some sort of custody without any fuss? Huell may not be a criminal mastermind, but I have a hard time believing he’s that stupid.

Secondly, Walt sure did fall for that setup hook, line, and sinker. I understand that he had no reason to suspect law enforcement involvement with Jesse, but he certainly has good reason to suspect Jesse would lie and set up a trap. (By the way, where did Hank get a giant pile of money to photograph? Empty his 401(k)? The DEA would presumably have access to large piles of cash, but this is clearly not a full-fledged DEA operation. If it was, more than two agents would show up to bust the biggest drug kingpin of the southwest.) It seemed a little too pat - too much an excuse to set up the Gunfight at the Cook Site Corral.

Thirdly: There are only a few episodes left of the entire show. Just let us know right now whether somebody dies. Gazillions of bullets flying for minutes and maybe one hit? It’s not like the lack of a cliffhanger is going to make us stop watching at this point. If they feel they must have a cliffhanger, they should have had a short dramatic standoff followed by the sounds of gunfire starting immediately as they cut to the credits. Spare us the minute of wasted bullets and improbably safe car interiors. It just seemed kinda cheesy.

Things I liked about the episode? I liked Walt’s play with Brock. If Jesse had gotten a message from Andrea saying that Walt was there, he would have freaked and probably done something stupid. (Granted, he would have probably immediately yelled for her to kick Mister White out of the house because he’s dangerous, but Walt might be able to convince her that Jesse is drug-addled.) It didn’t work, but it’s a clever play to flush out Jesse.

The “fake death photo” has actually worked to fool criminals in real life, so I can definitely buy that. Many Dopers’ predictions about Todd’s gang wanting Walt to cook for them were accurate. I kind of wonder what would have happened if Hank and Gomez had produced their badges. Would Uncle Jack knowingly off a couple of DEA agents?

And finally: Todd and Lydia sittin’ in a tree / Sipping from the same cup of tea / First comes drugs / Then comes bill$ / It’ll never work out 'cause they’ll all get killed.

Andrea last heard from Jesse two weeks ago. Then she called him on the Hello Kitty burner phone that Saul gave him, what, a few days ago? How’d she get that number?

Walt gave it to her. She started to dial Jesse and Walt told her Jesse’s new number.

Walt told her he switched numbers and have her the new one

And Jesse. Fair point that Hank is very good at his job and for his part Jesse learned from Walt. I’m not going to lose sleep over it, I’m just throwing it out there.

Yes and no. Walt murdered Mike on impulse, and while he’s not necessarily greedy, he does want to dominate everything. And we’ve seen him drive around frantically in search of money before. In a way that called all the way back to the finale of the first season. He’s started over from nothing before, but he doesn’t want to be in the business anymore and he doesn’t think he is going to live long enough to make that money back. Just a couple of episodes ago he said that if the money’s gone, he’s done this for nothing. He can justify this to himself if he’s achieved something, but if he’s done it for nothing, he has to confront what he’s done.

He’s never said that- even though it’s true.

I don’t think any movie or TV show is allowed to do that since that’s the exact ending from Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. Also, since that’s literally the same ending, a lot of people might just assume the series is over and that whoever is on screen at the time is dead.

But (a) he’s absolutely certain Jesse would never turn him in or work with the cops, and (b) it’s been made very clear in the last few episodes that it is incredibly important to him that he leave the money for his kids, as that’s all he has left at this point. I think his reaction was utterly and completely believable.

Huell, somewhat less so I agree… but Huell isn’t bright, and the DEA guys sure seemed to have bunches and bunches of info that he wouldn’t expect him to have, plus a photo of dead Jesse. And we all know that Saul is the kind of person who would buckle under pressure and sell out Huell if it came to it.

Oh, that went an unexpected direction. I don’t expect my predictions to be remotely right since they never have been.

But my new thinking on the flashforward. They kill Hank and Gomez and feel this puts Walt in their debt. It has to go down in such a way that the house is seized. He wants revenge more for the perceived respect of family plus needs to take out the neo-Nazis. That’s what the big gun and ricin are for.

His last win in the empire business before the cancer finally takes him.