Breaking Bad = Best Show In The History of The World {open SPOILERS}

In the last two days, I have watched the first season of Breaking Bad. I agree, it is a damn fine show. I picked it up at the library, but Season 2 has a lot of holds on it. Thank og for Netflix- I should be getting it the middle of next week.

I’m now watching it all over again, catching all the bits and pieces I missed the first time.

I still laughed my ass off at Walt telling Skylar: “I love you, so could you just this once, please, climb down out of my ass?” Beautifully played.

I’m surprised at the lack of love for Mad Men, given the proximity of the two shows on AMC. Are there any challengers to Mad Men and Breaking Bad for the top two scripted dramas to ever appear on basic cable?

Whoops! Good call!

There’s plenty of love for Mad Men – the weekly threads are always at least a couple of pages long. Maybe it’s not mentioned in this thread because this thread is about Breaking Bad.

For a time I’d have said they were on par but this past season of Mad Men, while not without some brilliant moments, was lacking over all while Breaking Bad knocked it out of the park for the third consecutive year. Still, if AMC devoted themselves exclusively to reruns of Love Boat, The Nanny, Rob Schneider movies and Tyler Perry’s House of Payne in a few years the fact that at one time they were producing BB, MM and Walking Dead all in the same season would provide their current execs with the best table in Studio ValHalla.

The Shield and Breaking Bad are the top two scripted dramas to ever appear on basic cable.

One of the funniest moments to me was when Walt was feeding Jesse what to say to Hank who was outside the trailer without a warrant:

W: Tell him this is your own private domicile and you will not be harassed…
J: This is my own private domicile! And I will not be harassed… bitch!"

Bryan Cranston is incredible. I know damn well he’s Malcolm’s dad Hal, Jerry’s dentist Tim Watley, etc, but see absolutely nothing of that person when watching Breaking Bad. It’s not even the shaved head, mustache, etc, he just literally seems like a different actor. It’s really quite impressive.

I’ve stopped reading this thread because of all the spoilers. Could someone get a mod to put a spoiler alert in the title?

I dearly love it but when I loan people my DVDs I tell them, “Turn on the subtitles or eventually it will drive you crazy.”

Added spoiler warning to thread title.

When in doubt, please use spoiler boxes. Esp. with people catching up with TV shows on DVD, it’s not always the case that just because an episode has aired, everyone who plans to watch it has already seen it.

Thanks,

twickster, Cafe Society moderator

I’ve been sitting on the last episode, waiting as long as possible to watch it, because I don’t want the season to end and to have to wait many long months for next season to begin. I don’t know how much longer I can hold out, though.

Okay, season three is now started. Since I missed all of season one and half of season two, I have some questions:

The two bad-ass cholos from Mexico visit some guy in a nursing home: who the hell is he and why does he have a hard-on for Walt? Who hired the bad guys? Why were they called off at the last moment?

That’s Tuco’s uncle, “Tio”.

Thanks for the links. I’m still trying to get used to this whole intertoob thang.

So:

The uncle hires the badasses to whack Walt, even though Walt didn’t murder the dude. But the guy at Pollos is an uber-badass (a Don in the Mexican mafia, if you will) known to all, and can call them off at will? Am I up to date now? I didn’t realize that Walt was as ruthless as the season one synopsis indicates. Sheds a different light on him, for sure.

Chefguy, you really need to see all that you missed. Go back and watch what you missed, in order. You’ll be glad you did.

+1

Seriously - it’s impossible to appreciate this show jumping into the middle. It’s not that kind of show. Hit Netflix and get start at the beginning. You are only ruining it for yourself to continue.

[spoiler] The uncle doesn’t hire the Twins. The Twins found out that Tuco, their cousin, died and have come to New Mexico to avenge his death. They track the uncle so that they can confirm that Walter White was the one who killed Tuco.

I’m not going to tell you why they’re after Walter instead of Hank. That’s for you to find out. :wink:

Pollos isn’t in the Mexican mafia. He has his own operation and his own territory. The Twins work for the Mexican cartel/mafia. The Twins listened to Pollos because Pollos told them that Walter White was under his protection. The Twins obviously didn’t think that some suburban schmuck was under the protection of Pollos. Once they found out, they had to back off or risk going to war with Pollos.[/spoiler]

I have yet to see this show, but it sounds interesting; thanks for the continued raves and reviews; I will definitely check this out :slight_smile: