Bush's "The Rich Don't Pay Taxes" Meme

Oh, stop acting like you’ve never heard of a figure of speech. Do you seriously mean to say that by saying that the rich dodge taxes or the rich don’t pay, Bush was making an assertion that no rich person every pays so much as a cent in tax? If so, why aren’t you pitting Edwards’ ridiculous assertion that there are “two Americas”? I can give you links to Mapquest that will prove there is only one America. You wealth-envy people are neglecting the fact that the rich have already lost substantial income from market forces alone. Your obsession with pillaging what remains borders on animalism.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/08/02/opinion/main633465.shtml

Its been a number of years since I did corporate income taxes, and laws change, but we had to keep a flight log of all trips taken by the corporate jet, and who was on it and what they did. There had to be a “significant” business purpose at the other end of the flight - drinks with a customer while you went to the Kentucky Derby didn’t count. And personal flights were added to the exec’s total compensation. The auditors were very interested in the significant business purpose, we had to keep great records - they were more than happy to tag exec’s with fines for what was essentially personal use.

It was cheaper - tax wise, paperwork wise, and risk wise (as every trip was going to go under scrutiny and might lead to fines or the uncovering of more monkeybusiness), for them to book their own first class ticket than to take the corporate jet.

I always think back on that time (we did those exec’s personal taxes as well - for which we had to include value in their compensation) when the topic “the rich don’t pay taxes” comes up. Those guys paid taxes…quite a bit. Maybe had their taxes been done by a personal accountant rather than out of their corporate tax department, the accountant would have pulled more out via the grey in the code. But we sure didn’t.

Yet one more time, August 13, Beaverton, OR:

Plus more Bushwa about when you tax the rich, you cripple small businesses:

It’s been an eon since I was a tax professional, and business taxes weren’t exactly my forte. But as I understand it, the only money that’s taxable is (revenue) - (legitimate business expenses). (Anyone whose knowledge is more detailed and more up-to-date, please jump in.) So what’s taxable is the profit that isn’t reinvested in the business, and how does taxing that hurt the business? It isn’t going back into the business anyway.

Speaking of planting memes, I’m just curious as to whether you stole your OP from the Daily KOS on August 10, or whether you’re the same as the RT username there, and are just spamming several message boards with this drivel.

All right, RT, how 'bout it?

What’s the frequency, Kenneth?

How about what??