Can I do small electronics projects on a plane flight like a woman does knitting?

MintyBoost.

How soon they forget. It was only a couple of months ago that they arrested an MIT student for going into Logan Airport with a PC Board/LED project on her chest. She wasn’t on a plane. In fact, they arrested her after she left the building. They still charged her with hoaxing a bomb scare. Which she clearly wasn’t.
It doesn’t pay to freak out the Muggles.

You know the answer to this obviously. Why do you bother posting?

VC03 are you bored with only the Dope to troll in? Please admit that 90% of your reason for doing what you suggest is to intentionally elicit a hysterical reaction. Confrontational performance art can be a valid way to express yourself, but NOT on an airplane. Please find another way to attract negative attention; like baldly stating that only women knit, for example. That’s pitworthy right there.

Better to pursue another hobby IMHO.
Like marzipan-and-wire sculpture, say, or modelling your new 12-bologna-sausage-holster belt design.

Or juggling plastic replicas of box cutters.

Lock yourself in the bathroom and assemble your little project. That way when they kick the door in on you they can have an excuse to perform an emergency landing as well. At least you will accomplish your goal of not being bored.

What? Not only is this rude, it’s bizarre. Where did I say that I want to do this as “performance art?” I just want to make my projects. If women can do stabby knitting needle projects, I don’t see any greater threat in me making my little LED flasher or noise buzzer.

Why can’t you just do experiments with a chemistry set like a normal person?

Or wood burning perhaps?

Lawn darts.

Dissection.

For what it’s worth, my mother has had her knitting needles confiscated on occasion.

Why don’t you do what most people do to pass the time: get shit-faced and try to take a dump in the beverage cart.

Am I the only one?

• SS

Me too.

That’d be great. About the time you hit cruising altitude, break out a beaker and mix some of your “shampoo” with some “mouthwash” and a little shot of “toothpaste” and see if the whole plane doesn’t freak out!

As to the OP, I wholeheartedly encourage you to take your breadboard onto the plane. If it’s not on the TSA list, then I’m sure nobody would mind.

I join the others in recomending you leave it at home.

I’m a breadboarder myself and not only would it be a bad idea from a security/passenger perception point of view but practical considerations tell you there’s about 5555 better places you could prototype. The table is small, the light is bad, and your entire environment is shaking, climbing and banking.

What are you planning to build? Are you planning to bring a power supply or relying on batteries where you never really know the voltage? Bringing test equipment?

Official TSA position on knitting needles:
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1252.shtm

C’mon, dude… you already know they wouldn’t let you do that on an airplane these days. Why even post this thread?

I’m glad I can across this thread - I was going to work on my “wireless power transmission” project on my next plane ride. I assumed that I could get enough power for my Tesla coil from the armrest.

This is all a whoosh, right? :dubious: