Can people eat dog-food without ill effects?

Face it, if dog or cat food was that dangerous, most kids would never have survived. The dry stuff is like meaty cereal. My husband has admitted to me that he liked the green Milkbones best.

Heh. So true. I have a niece (who is now grown and married with kids of her own), and when she was a little kid (three? four?) we’d be in the living room, and the dog would be in the living room with us, and yet we’d hear the distinctive crunch of dry doggie kibble from the kitchen. Someone would announce “Someone go get Tracy out of the dog food”. The kid loved it and would scarf it down every chance she got.

It seems that the consensus is that dog food tastes pretty good. Cat food, on the other hand, I know is awful from personal experience. When I got my kitten from the SPCA, he came with all sorts of free offers and food samples. He wouldn’t touch any of the kitty treats I offered him. Finally, I popped one in my mouth to see what was so horrible. Augh! Worst taste ever! I never offered him another treat and he doesn’t seem to mind.

A long time ago on Second City TV there was a ‘Lorne Greene’ (Eugene Levy) episode where they parodied Greene’s ALPO commercials. Here’s the gist of it:

‘Hello, I’m Lorne Greene. My friend Jack, here, is 78 years old. That’s 546 in dog years. <snip> Maybe Jack’s been around so long because ALPO’s been around so long.’
**Context:**When the episode aired there was a ‘scandalous situation’ wherein senior citizens in the U.S. (and possibly Canada) could not afford food, so many resorted to eating dog food. At the same time, Lorne Greene was hawking ALPO dog food. The commercials were folksy, with Greene introducing an old dog who is still sprightly due to it’s diet of ALPO. The commercials ended with Greene saying 'Maybe [dog’s name] has been around so long because ALPO’s been around so long. The SCTV sketch loses something if you have to explain it, but it was funny if you were around at the time.

Hmm. Was he wearing a lab coat? If not, you may have assumed correctly.

Old Goat you just made me laugh like a drain.

Thank you.

hmm… I woulda thought that food for cats would taste better.

(Also, thanks to everyone for the answers)

A Russian fighter pilot who defected found American cat food to be delicious: http://web.archive.org/web/20010111004300/http://fullcontext.org/people/belenko.htm

Simply for the sake of well… whatever… guinea pigs need a dietry source of vit C too.

The thing that occurs to me when someone is concerned about getting food poisoning from pet food: If someone gets sick and dies from tainted tomatoes or peanut butter, well, what a shame.

If Fluffy gets sick and dies from tainted cat food, suddenly we’ve all been betrayed.

This might just be a side effect of the fact that a cat has never cut any of us off on the Turnpike though. :smiley:

Oh, and someone on the bus convinced me to eat a dog biscuit when I was in elementary school. I recall that it didn’t taste half bad, but I still prefer the little vanilla cookies from the grocery store.

:eek::frowning:

Recovered oil is traded on the commodities market as Yellow Grease. A large part of that may go to Bio-diesel now, I have been away from the biz for a few years. There are also various grades of tallow, fish oil, canola, mixed vegetable oils traded.

Here is a link to with an explanation of the uses of some of these products.

http://www.bakercommodities.com/feeding-fats.asp

Wet food for cats tastes terrible but why would it be harmful unless contaminated with pathogens? I’m sure that if I was starving and malnourished I’d think it tasted like caviar.

As a teenager, I worked in a grocery store and there was an old homeless guy who was a regular customer. He would come in and buy two cans of Dr. Ballard’s dog food, then he’d go sit on the bench outside, produce a can opener and a spoon and proceed to eat it straight out of the can. I don’t know what ever happened to him but he seemed to enjoy it.
IMHO, he probably believed the myth that it was highly nutritious at a low cost and supplemented it into his diet. I’m certain he was a drunk and he didn’t have any teeth that I could see which would suggest maybe he did have a vitamin deficiency. The soft food was probably easier for him to eat as well.

Seems to vary. :slight_smile: Back when my lad was a bit younger he got into sneaking into the pantry and scarfing down the dry cat-food (to the point where we had to relocate the cat biscuits to the kiddy locked cupboards along with the detergents). In the interests of being a good parent I tried the store bought brand he was eating… meh… tasted a lot like dry mix in instant soup packets. Later my wife got some fancy cat biscuits from the Vet (apparently good for helping to clean the cat’s teeth), and those… blecch :eek:

We’re doing a new show on Animal Planet and are looking people with animal behaviors.
One of the topics is eating pet food or eating like a pet.
Please email elisa@petfamily.org if you’d like to talk about it!

That’s not always the case.

Ah, how about the human recall on ground turkey now? The FDA regulates both animal food and human food to strict standards. Never the less there are recall problems.

Plus he always had a shiny healthy coat!

My mother once accidently ate homemade dog treats (that I made). I was home from college and had recently gotten a cookbook of homemade pet food. I baked peanut butter cookies for my dachshund (like most dogs he loved peanut butter). I left them out on the cooling racks while I went into the living room to watch TV. Mom came home and assumed I’d just baked normal cookies for people. So she tried one. They tasted terrible, but naturally she told me they were delicious. Then I mentioned who they were for and she told me the truth (after gagging a bit).

Something similiar happened a few years later with a coworker’s 11 yr old son. They’d just gotten a god and I gave her some liver brownies I’d baked. SHe told her son not to eat them, but he later overheard her joking about a “special indgrediant” and thought they were pot brownies. Having no idea what pot brownies actually taste like he ate one, then two trying to get high. And he shared it with a friend (who also though that’s how they were supposed to taste). She thought the whole think was too hilarious to bother punishing him (well other than telling him what was in the brownies).