Can the mentally retarded drink?

Completely understand chef … I am in home health and have a client who doesnt even appear to be fit (and isnt) to be independent he has neighbors who are feeding him alcohol on a constant basis (serving him so he can pay for it) as soon as I leave its morally wrong on soo many levels but Im wondering what its considered if not financial exploitation of a vunerable adult in this situation he has extreme intellectual disabilities for example cannot add 2+2 cannot bathe without prompting brush his teeth or anything on his own

Intellectual disabilities or MR … potestas

Its one of those things where you can call it MR but dont you dare call them mentally retarded … Walks like a duck talks like a duck yup its a fuckin duck

Profoundly retarded people aren’t their own guardians, but most mentally retarded folks aren’t that bad off.

I have a coworker who is clearly in that category of disabled. He doesn’t drive but he budgets for and buys his own groceries, does his own cooking, buys his own clothes, does his own laundry, and is pretty self-sufficient for a lot of things. He was promoted last year on his demonstrated ability at doing his job and attention to detail and safety. That said, he does require some help with insurance and legal forms as his reading ability is shaky. He has problems but he’s not helpless, and while people have on occasion tried to take advantage of him there have been a few instances where his lack of comprehension and desire to follow the rules both acted to defeat the con artist - an overly elaborate story is not going to work on someone incapable of following it.

Yes, he needs some help and supervision, but he’s not helpless. He functions at a high enough level that most people who interact with him briefly aren’t aware of his disability, you’d need an extended conversation with him to figure that out. And if he wants to have a beer after work I certainly wouldn’t have a problem with it.

The mentally retarded are, like the rest of us, individuals with different capabilities and flaws. Some can handle booze, some can’t.

Depends on what causes the retardation.

People with trisomy 21/Down’s syndrome have impaired fertility compared to the rest of the population. About half such women are fertile, and if they conceive the chance is 50/50 the child will also have Down’s syndrome. Which means they are also 50/50 that any such child will be normal. Men with Down’s syndrome have much lower fertility than normal men, but should not be assumed to be infertile even if most of them are.

There are other causes of mental retardation, of course. If the cause is genetic then there are increased odds of the same occurring in any potential children. People mentally impaired due to environmental reasons (from womb conditions and onwards) have no genetic defect to pass on and therefore their children are at no greater (or lesser) risk than anyone else’s.

My parents used to go to their local minor-league baseball games, and mentally disabled people from various organizations and group homes would attend by the van-load, and they said that they sure do love beer! As long as they’re ordering it themselves and are not on medications or do not have medical conditions where it’s contraindicated, why shouldn’t they have it, just like people who are not disabled.

Also, I used to work with a woman who found out that her profoundly disabled son, who is now in his early 20s and currently lives in a care facility, could, as an adolescent, tell beer from soda, and yes, he preferred beer. :eek: They take him home for visits all the time, which include all the activities he did before, like hunting with his dad and his extended family, and they do let him have a beer if he wants one but do need to monitor his consumption. :cool: He doesn’t have a lot of pleasures in his life; why deny him this?

actually they can have credit cards and legally use them too

My cousin is 43 but has the mental capacity of an 8 year old on a good day and she has credit cards in her name that mom is allowed to use for the care and feeding of said cousin

Well one day in dillards on the makeup counter she was holding her card and ID in her pocket (it made her feel important so they let her) and seen a 250 dollar pair of liz clairborne sunglasses and walked to the counter girl handing her the card id and the glasses who was ringing her up when we noticed what was going on my aunt ran over to stop her…

Turns out since the id matched the card and since my cousin could sign her first name the salesgirl couldn’t legally (due to the ADA) stop her from buying her glasses … the manager was called over and explained this to my aunt but she and my aunt talked her into a pair of somewhat cheaper glasses (95$!) and there hanging on her wall like a trophy and she points them out occasionaly … and when she wants something and someone tells her theres no moneye she says "use my cards "

There are a lot of people who are NOT mentally disabled who have this attitude, or worse yet, write checks they know will bounce.

yes but she knows how much is on them and knows mom doesn’t use them for anyone else so we cant use the "were broke " excuse when she wants something she dosent really need or they don’t want her to have …

I would say very likely. I have a friend who has Down’s Syndrome and his wife is simple minded. Both of their boys are severely retarded.

For mental retardation caused by genetic problems (like Downs syndrome) that’s true, but for MR caused by non-genetic reasons no, the kids are no more likely to be MR than any other kids.

Who is taking care of their children? Do you know why the boys are retarded?

Years ago, when I worked in the industry, I took some developmentally disabled guys to Godfather’s for “Mike’s” birthday. Mike, who was comfortably in his thirties at the time, ordered a beer. The girl behind the counter looked at me for advice. I was like, “Do you need to see his ID?”

Yes, in Illinois at least, developmentally disabled adults have just as much right to a tall, cold one as you or I do. If they are on medications where alcohol consumption is contraindicated, or they’re on a special diet, or if their guardians don’t want them to*, then no, they won’t be permitted to buy or drink alcohol.

*Denying a DD adult the right to drink, in the absence of a medical reason, would require the signature of a judge, since in Illinois that’s consider a “restraint,” and restraints require a judge’s order.

The parents are and I don’t know why.

On a more disturbing note, I remember a piece on 20/20 or some similar program about a young man with fetal alcohol syndrome who was found dead in a trash can with an extremely high BAC. When I saw the kids, who all looked like (and IIRC were) cheerleaders and megajocks, who had been with him that evening, I knew exactly what had happened.

They wanted booze, and invited him out to party with them because he was 21 years old, still in school because of special ed regulations, and they were using him to obtain it. :mad: These kids, of course, denied all that. I don’t remember what happened to them, but I sure hope they are carrying very guilty consciences for having committed involuntary manslaughter.

Forest Whitaker is constantly showing his license to prove his name is spelled with one “R” and has the same rights as everyone.

It is possible to take the written exam verbally (in some states). I worked at a center for the developmentally disabled, and a teacher spent the better part of a year preparing a teenager for his driver’s license. Personally, I thought it was a mistake. He loved the Dukes of Hazard and played with toy cars. Dunno what ever happened with him.

I know of a young woman with Down syndrome who, for a while anyway, seemed on the road to get a license. She turned out to be intelligent enough to pass the written test, but did not have the hand-eye coordination to be a safe driver.

Drinking sort of levels the intellectual playing field for everybody.

:smiley:

Someday the mountain might get him but the law never will.

Permitted by whom? If I go to Illinois, do I need to bring a list of my medications to show the bartender for his approval, or does that law just apply to DD individuals?

I suspect that if a person who is her own guardian tries to buy alcohol, they will be permitted to regardless of their diet or medications, and if they are under guardianship, it will be up to the guardian to decide on and enforce any medical restriction, not the bartender or (barring extreme cases) the law.