Can you ferment mushrooms?

Here in Korea, we have a mushroom wine. Very popular around the holidays.

This is interesting to know. The Wikipedia article on chaptalization is quite enlightening. My association with chaptalization is mostly with non-grape wines and cheap(er) table wines (For example, in Germany, you can tell which wines are definitely not chaptalized by the designation on the label.) I did know Champagne added sugar at the end of the process, but did not realize that it was used in the must, too.

Interesting.

As a kid, the restaurant my mom worked at had mushroom based sauce similar to soy, but not soy sauce. I loved that stuff. I was told they quit making it because of contamination and that starting over was to costly.

Mushroom Hooch For Dummies?:confused:

By that guy’s reasoning, you can also ferment granite. Or zombies.

He’s half correct

yeast is a fungi…mushrooms are a fungi. therefore the mushroom is the is the fermentor. not the fermented. transforming the mushroom into enzymes that contain all of the the beneficial nutrients,and makes them more efficiently absorbable by the digestive system.

This doesn’t make any sense. Yeast isn’t the only thing that ferments things, and the fact that yeast and mushrooms are part of the same kingdom is just irrelevant.

“Fungi” is plural. “A fungus.”