Car Purchase - Cash or Cashier's Check? Process?

I just recently sold a car here in CA. After reading so much about all the scams from Craig’s list, etc., I was very paranoid regarding personal checks/money orders/cashier’s checks. Fortunately, the buyer was cool with cash (and the amount was $4100, so it wasn’t too onerous to carry that amount in $100 bills).

On your title, there is an area that you will need to fill out an have both buyer and seller sign; this gets mailed to the DMV to attest to the fact that as of the date of the sale the seller no longer has responsibility if the car is in an accident.

You will also want to print out a bill of sale from the CA DMV here. This needs to be filled out as well.

I don’t recall if there is anything else that needs to be done, but browsing around the DMV’s site should answer any proceedural questions you might have.

You sure? The money’s already been taken out of my account, and the draft is still pinned to my bulletin board…

I bought my Mustang! 1964 1/2 Wimbelton White, blue interior, 170 ci engine 6 cylinder, all stock everything except for the cd player. It’s absolutely beautiful! Pay $12k, all cash. Easily the nicest Mustang out of all the ones I looked at. Will post pics once available.

Thanks for all of your advice!

Note IRS rules have change for some of us … please check with a tax expert about transaction reporting requirements … yes, when $10,000 or more changes hands the IRS does want to be notified … and so does the DEA …