Cats And Cigarette Smoke In Fur

I would be less worried about the smell than about whatever nasty smoke chemicals the poor cat has to lick off his fur. I think I would be asking them to stay away from him if they have just been smoking. I’ve known more than one cat with emphysema caused by second hand smoke.

Of course the easiest solution would be for you to start smoking. A couple weeks and you wouldn’t even notice it.

:stuck_out_tongue:

Oral and throat cancers in animals have been linked to smoke residue being licked from fur. Perhaps if the smokers wear an overcoat, a robe, even, outside while they’re smoking? You know, a posh smoking jacket. Something that will take the majority of the smoke and that can be taken off and hung on a hook once back inside? If they’re just in their regular around-the-house clothes, all the smoke is just settling right where the cat will rub while in a lap.

I know they’re helping you, but how much of their disgusting habit are you supposed to put up with? Perhaps if there was a smoking area for them farther from the door, too. So many smokers are opening the door and coming in as they’re putting the cigarette out, and all that stink follows them. They need to stay outside and “air out” a little after the fire’s put out.

There are “pet wipes” available, and those are probably safe enough and probably the easiest to use. I’d imagine they’re right by wherever the waterless shampoo and other grooming products are in the “cats” section at Petsmart.

Once again, that would just make the poor thing sick. Seriously, you might just have to give kitty a bath. Been there, done that. It’s not fun, but you gotta do whatcha gotta do.

Try giving a kitten who hates to be held a bath after she fell in the toilet. :eek: