Causes of death of deceased rock/rock 'n roll/pop musicians

Bobby Fuller I Fought the Law, was ruled to have commited suicide by “asphyxiation due to inhalation of gasoline”, despite the fact that he would have had to drive himself to where his body was found after killing himself.

I had no idea that Steve Marriott and Ronnie Lane were dead…jeez. I don’t believe that Johnny Thunders of the NY Dolls was mentioned. He died in a New Orleans hotel room of a heroin OD. People were mostly surprised that he lived to the ripe old age of 38. Jerry Nolan, also of the Dolls, died of a drug OD. The Dolls original drummer, I think his name was Billy Mercer, died during their 1st tour of the UK. IIRC he choked on vomit while passed out in a bathtub in London. There was some substance abuse involved but I don’t remember whether it was drugs, alcohol, or a combination of the two.

Eddie Cochran died in a car accident in Britian. He was on his way to a concert with Gene Vincent (who was seriously injured.)

Doug Sahm (The Sir Douglas Quintet) - heart disease
Skip Spence - lung cancer
Johnny “Guitar” Watson - heart attack on stage

although drug use or smoking could have been contributing factors in any of these over time.

How did we all forget Eric “Stumpy Joe” Childs?

Didn’t Jeff Buckley drown or was that ruled something else? His musician father also died young but I don’t recall how.

A few more:

Gene Vincent died of a ruptured stomach ulcer.

Del “Runaway” Shannon shot himself, days after orally accepting Tom Petty’s invitation to join the Travelling Wilburies, as Roy Orbison’s replacement.

Drummer Jeff Porcaro (best known as a member of Toto, but he played for MANY major acts as a session man) died of… well, depending which source you believe, a heart attack, a cocaine overdose, or an allergic reaction to pesticides.

Bill “Rock Around the Clock” Haley died of a heart attack at age 56.

Florence Ballard of the Supremes died at the age of 32 (the Rock and Roll Encyclopedia says it was cardiac arrest). She was flat broke, and some sources say she was on welfare when she died.

I think Tim Buckley died of a drug overdose, but I’m not for sure. As far as I know Jeff’s death was ruled an accident drowning. Two greats talents lost way too soon.

Razzle (Hanoi Rocks) died in a car crash driven by that fat drunk Vince Neil of Motley Crue.

Didn’t the original bass player from Styx die from AIDS a few years back?

Berry Oakley of the orignal Allman Brothers died in a motorcycle crash about a year after Duane crashed.

Stu Sutcliff (The Beatles) died of a brain hemmorage…rumored due to a stomping from some German hooligans.

Glenn Buxton (Alice Cooper Group) died a few years ago from poor health. Most likely alcohol related.

technically not rock:

Patsy Cline
Stevie ray Vahn (sp?)

Kirsty MacColl - hit by a motorboat while swimming on holiday.

Bob Marley - cancer
John Cippolina (Quicksilver Messenger Service) - asthma
Slovak Hillel (Red Hot Chili Peppers) - heroin overdose
Roy Buchanan - heart attack
Rick Danko (the Band) - heart attack with possible drug connection

What about the original guitarist from the Red Hot Chili Peppers? I can’t remember his name…but as another fan of Behind the Music, I learned that he died from a heroin overdose.

One of the members of the 80s hair band Slaughter was killed in a car (or motorcycle?) accident in 98 or 99.

Yeah, that’s who I was trying to think of. Thanks plnnr for answering my question before I posted. I should preview more often. :smack:

Originally posted by Laughing Lagomorph
What did Jerry Garcia die of? That site indicates it was drug-related, but I don’t remember hearing that.

Originally posted by Ripple
Jerry died of a heart attack in a detox center the night he checked in. Certainly years & years of abusing heroin played a major part in this. He was in extremely poor health for a long time, and his continuing drug use didn’t help.

IIRC, Rolling Stone suggested that the death wasn’t so much from drug use directly, as the fact that he would get high, forget that he was diabetic, then kill a quart of ice cream in one sitting. The heart attack was brought on by complications from diabetes more than anything.

Also, was the name Hillel Slovak (Hillel being the first name)?

Yes, I transposed the name (where the hell is my coffee?)

Pigpen (Ron McKernan) had serious liver disease, but he actually died of a stomach hemorhage.

Stuart Adamson (Big Country / Skids) Suicide
Phil DeFreitas (Echo & the Bunnymen) Bike Crash

Joey Ramone - Lymphoma
Jaco Pastorius - beaten to death
The Drummer for Spinal Tap - spontaneous combustion