Chemists: Can I make salicylic acid from aspirin tablets?

Maybe that is because ground walnut shells is a blast media. [I used to get it in 50 pound sacks, along with the absolutely nicest recycled glass blast media that was ex-beer bottles and the grains were amber, green and brown :D]

Used coffee grounds, mixed with a bit of body wash/liquid soap/shampoo for ease of application is the best exfoliant I’ve used (plus it really wakes me up in the morning). BUT, the grounds tend to go everywhere, so a thorough rinsing of the walls afterwards is important.

Why make salicylic acid ? It is available for so cheap. Just buy some wart removal liquid - it is typically 20+ % salicylic acid. Here’s Dr Scholl’s brand for $4.42 at walmart - Robot or human?

The Walmart Equate brand will be like $2 + change.

Huh. Whenever I order something from Sigma, it’s usually some ridiculously expensive version of an otherwise common thing. (Molecular Chromatography Grade, Guaranteed Pixie Dust Free, table salt, $100 for 50 grams!) I always assume there’s a humungous Science Markup. And there probably is even in this case; I’d bet that the truck-load cost is a lot cheaper than $70/kg. But in this case the Buying Little Tubes From The Pharmacy markup is even higher.

Are there other examples of common household chemicals that can be purchased cheaply by the 1 kg bucket?

Thanks for the information ! I've been trying to get rid of severe eczema of the scalp for 2 months, to no avail. I was told by my MD to"just keep trying different shampoos etc 'till I find one that works". I picked yp some Rite Aid "RENEWAL" (3% salicylic acid) and it seems to be working, although I apply it generously 7-8 times a day. At $8.99 for 2,5 ounces, it can become expensive. Was thinking of making it from aspirin, which Duck Duck Go led me to this site, which led me to this post,as ancient as it is..hope you are still alive. Thanks again for the tip ! Take care.

Look at eBay:

or the chemical type mentioned above: