Cheney Re:4000 dead "They volunteered"

{Waves hand} Ooh! Ooh! Sunk Cost Fallacy!

Eh, I still love his response to Martha Raddatz when she informed him that 2/3 of the U.S. no longer believes the war is accomplishing anything.
Cheney (exact quote):

[spoiler]So?

[/spoiler]

Video here.

It’s kind of reassuring that at least that senior members of the Halliburton Administration aren’t even pretending to give a shit in their final year.

Bush and Cheney - Scum and Scummer.

I’d expect that some of them, especially after 9/11 and before the invasion, thought that the government would put them in harms way for something important - not for Bush and the neocon’s petulance.

I’m sure Cheney’s saying you volunteered and died - tough luck - will do a lot to help recruiting.

I think OP’s “recreation outrage” is probably due to the fact that many of those who volunteered did so before 2001 when a futile, unwieldy and endless invasion and occupation weren’t apparent goals of the administration. Recruiters don’t say, “You know, there’s talk of a war in Iraq. Wanna go?”

About last night’s Frontline show, “Bush’s War”:

In the beginning, according to the producer, Michael Kirk, Bush didn’t give much thought to the operation, let alone feel burdened by it. I doubt feels burdened today.

That is exactly my problem with what he said. It parses to me like those people aren’t human to him. That they were toys for him to do with to meet whatever idea of world order he invisioned.

All the more reasons for the increasing popularity of my proposal to divide the US military into defense force that is by law, purely defensive.

If Bush or his ilk want to go aggressing, then they’d have to use a seperate ‘offense force’, and any attempt to enlist the defensive forces would be an illegal order. Those serving in the ‘defense forces’ would be obliged to refuse.

All your recruitment and honor worries over with the stroke of a pen. Brilliant, brilliant.

You jest, of course.

Hey, that is quite a novel (and brilliant) idea if I might say.

Like, seriously friggin’ commonsensically smart. :cool:

Betcha they don’t buy it though. :smiley:

At which point the Prez sez, “These troops are being deployed to defend our interests abroad, and DEMOCRACY itself!”
If he doesn’t just use “the stroke of a pen” yet again to add a little signing statement that says the law doesn’t pertain to him.

Or else he could submit an Authorization for the Use of Military Force to Congress, and see if it passed. Then the Usual Suspects could shut the fuck up about how illegal it all was.

OK, I was kidding about the last part.

Regards,
Shodan

You seem to be laboring under the misconception that Cheney is a human being.

Sorry, the Incredibly Retarded Nonsequitur of the Month nominations are already closed out.

Eh, Shobot’s chugging again. Tech team should be on site shortly to take a look. Don’t worry about it.

Then all we’d have is immoral, futile, catastrophic and breath-takingly stupid.

Not that there haven’t been some regrets.

No matter what they look like, they’ll be loved!

I’m afraid you are overestimating the morality of the Bushies once again. Weren’t you aware that the invasion of Iraq was a purely defensive move against the evil Saddam who was within hours of nuking us and raping your mamma?

Who in the last 100 years has started an offensive war? It is all defensive, according to them.

This is similar to an idea I had back in the 90s when conservatives were going ballistic at the thought of US troops being placed under UN command. Troops could volunteer for units that were earmarked for UN humanitarian interventions (which are bad, whereas invasions to spread democracy=good).

Quite so. If those sneaky Polish bastards hadn’t attacked a German radio station, all of those troops stationed on the border would have been sent home.