Chicken and noodle over mashed potatoes--alien concept?

I’m from Detroit, and I find it really odd, heh.

Never had it, but it doesn’t sound that weird. It’s just a different type of gravy, really. Shepherd’s pie seems like a close relative.

It sounds unusual to me, but nice at the same time - two different carbohydrate types can be quite nice - I quite often include chunks of boiled potato in my macaroni cheese, and I have had mashed potato with bread and gravy before now, so why not noodles and mash?

Never heard of it, and it definitely sounds weird.

To quote from Big Night: “Nooo! Ees a starch and a starch!”

I wouldn’t do it but I’m sure it tastes lovely.

Noodles? On potatoes?

*Insanity! *

It’s comfort food. I prefer it with lots of butter – butter gravy, if you will. Real butter.

Same here. I’d never heard of them before, but I’d give them a whirl.

I’m from West Virginia, and I’d never heard of such a thing until I moved to this part of NE Ohio, which borders Amish country.

We hosted a national conference a few years ago, and we had Amish-type food for one of the lunches, and we had to instruct people that the chicken and noodles was supposed to go on top of the mashed potatoes.

Well sure… if a diabetic coma is comforting. :wink: (kidding, kidding…)

Never heard of it but long ago I discovered that all the things you pile food on top of are interchangeable.

Thus mashed potatoes, rice, noodles, pasta, steamed vegetables, cous cous, bread, toast, pancakes, any other mashed/smashed vegetable can be used with any “topping”.

Don’t feel like rice with your curry, toast some bread chop in to cubes put curry on top.

Sick of spaghetti, slice veges long and thin, steam put sauce on top.

Don’t feel like a tuna sandwich, stir the tuna through some noodles.

Yeah, I wonder if this is a German and Amish thing. My family’s German, and there are lots of Amish around here, too.

Exactly. It’s potatoes OR pasta OR rice OR bread.

I’ve never heard of it, but I’d try it if offered.

My family thinks I’m scandalous for chopping a single potato up to toss into a pot of chicken noodle soup or into chicken and dumplings. Dumplings and noodles are both carbs already, a wee potato added in with celery, onion, and carrot isn’t a veg, it’s more carb, oh the insanity. I kind of like the tiny bit of thickening that happens from the starch in the potato, that’s all.

I eat my peas with honey.
I’ve done it all my life.
It makes the peas taste funny
But it keeps them on my knife.

Wife’s family puts cream style canned corn on mashed potatoes–and have taught my children to do the same!

The OP sounds kind of weird and I’ve never seen it. But then again I ordered cioppino the other night in a restaurant and it came served over spaghetti, so who knows what sort of wackiness goes on in the world.

Not alien, just rural midwestern.

This was the preferred way of eating chicken / beef and noodles growing up in Indiana. Friends from Iowa and Nebraska grew up on the same thing.

Good stuff in a bland, comfort food sort of way, way too many carbs to eat often.

Pretty much my reaction. It sounds like it could be good, but noodle + potatoes sound a bit too much for me.

I am from the south, where we love our carbs, and I have never heard of this. Seems a little weird, but probably yummy.