Christmas Bonuses

I own a small business. I give Xmas bonuses based on productivity, just like I give raises. If an employee is just a warm body and would not really be missed if they left, I give $75. Only one of those folks here this year. My two senior employees each get $500. A new employee who is very good so far is getting $150.

These are all after tax amounts. For a $500 bonus, I use trial and error to come up with an amount that yields $500 after taxes. I think to do otherwise is weird.

I don’t get a Christmas bonus, but I do get a yearly bonus – that’s paid out in January. So basically Christmas is usually on credit for me until the check clears.

Yeah, it’s kind of funny to think back on a time when denying a Christmas bonus was seen as an offense beneath even the stingiest bosses.

Anyway a $50 grocery card this year for me. I’ve been out of college for about 10 years, and in that time I don’t think I’ve ever worked anywhere that gave a cash bonus at Christmas, at least not to the worker bees.

I got a bonus exactly once, when I was working for the newspaper and we had a very good year. Everybody got gift cards to one of our big department store advertisers. Varied in amounts as to how important you were. I got $200 and bought myself a nice set of cookware on sale.

We don’t get Christmas bonuses, but we are eligible for annual bonuses once the company reports its annual earnings near the middle of Q1. Here it depends on your employment level and the like. I’m pretty sure we won’t meet our goals this year so my bonus will likely be zero. Last year, it came out to about $3,500 after taxes for me.

We generally get the equivalent of an extra paycheck (normally twice monthly) in December, and my immediate boss usually gives me a gift card to some department store or another. Nicest bonus structure I’ve ever had.

We have a fixed max bonus amount. The amount is based on what pay grade you’re on, and how much of it you get is based on personal and company performance. It’s paid out quarterly so I suppose you could call either the Q3 or Q4 bonus the Christmas bonus.

:: cries ::

To the people who get bonuses: Is your company hiring?

:: sobs ::

All right - do you want a wing or a drumstick?
mmm

We get gift cards and a pot luck lunch. If the company did good this year we will get a gain share (I don’t expect it though so it is a pleasant surprise if we do get one, with the downturn we didn’t get it for two years and last year it came back, I’m hoping this year again but I don’t plan for it).

My brother on the other hand is currently on a paid weeks vacation in the Dominican Republic courtesy of his boss. That is, he gets paid as if he were working and his boss is footing the bill for the vacation. It is a small construction company that does pretty well for itself.

Up to 10% of salary, based on specific criteria which include both personal performance objectives (which I’ve completed) and company objectives (which the company hasn’t made this year, but there’s not much I can do about that).

Got an engineering degree? Willing to move to the DC area?

At every company I’ve worked at, we get bonuses in February/March, and this year is no different. Our bonuses are based on global performance, our Canadian BU performance and our individual performance. They try to explain it but it’s such a convoluted process I think few of us understand it.

I’ve heard of some massive bonuses in years past. Last year my coworker, who is one pay grade above me, got $60K! This year our company income has been quite a bit lower, so I’m not expecting near that much, but I am hoping whatever I get will pay off a few bills.

Like Cub Mistress, our Christmas bonuses have no official correlation to salary. It is based upon how successful the year was and at the President’s discretion. However, like positions get the same bonus as long as you worked the entire year. The average is around $2500 with the part time recently hired file clerks receiving around $250 and the clinicians and management receiving between $5000 and $10,000. The President considers this check a gift and therefore doesn’t need to explain what his methods are and he never has. My job in the process is to give him the list of employees batched by departments so their bonuses are the same. As you may imagine, this time of year, everyone is sure to keep the head honcho extremely happy and stress free.

Everyone gets a $30 grocery store gift card. I’m good with that - I usually try to buy something special that I normally wouldn’t be able to justify the expense of. Last year it was crab legs.

I suppose the bonus we get was probably based on a Christmas bonus at one point.

I work for a large company and the bonus we get is actually part of our total compensation. The amount is based on the business performance and personal performance. The executives can add to the pool of money if the business has out-performed its targets, which they did a few years ago. It is the same pool where the executives get a big chunk of their compensation.

The business met targets this year so my bonus amounted to just over 10% of my salary. I get it next week, but will end up losing half the total amount to automatic payroll tax.deduction.

We don’t get a Christmas bonus (there is potential for an annual bonus, but that’s paid out in March). Once in a while we may get a Christmas gift, if the company happens to be doing particularly well. Needless to say, we got a $5 gift card to Starbucks last year and we are getting a pen with the company logo this year. YAY!!!

I have a small company with 3 employees. We never gave ourselves bonuses until one year we decided to start. I forget how much but it was “small” like $1000 each.

Then I read on here how much some other folks make like Cuncunator with his $7500 and was like “hey we have extra money! Let’s do that!” so we got bigger bonuses based on how much extra we had left in the bank at the end of the year and what we had lined up for next year.

Not sure if we’re going to be able to do it this year due to some of our clients fucking up their payments. Jerks!

Used to be that our annual bonuses came at Christmas when we were a small firm. Now, with the larger firm, our annual performance-based bonuses are a separate animal. In the three years we’ve been part of the big firm, we’ve gotten a $250 cash gift at our holiday party (which happens to be today). But I think I’d heard that last year was the last year for that. I guess I’ll find out later today.

Most places I’ve worked either gave no bonuses or some small token (last place was a $25 Visa card). Started a new job in January and the owner called a few weeks ago to discuss my bonus…3 friggin thousand dollars :eek:! I was speechless (for once). I believe the bonuses are based on company profit.