Cinema's Greatest One Hit Wonders

What about the girl who played Michelle Gideon in All That Jazz? I was amazed by her, then I don’t think I ever saw her again.

She held her own with Roy Scheider, Ann Reinking, Leland Palmer and, one assumes, Bob Fosse.

Knowing Fosse, he was probably holding her own at some point in the production…

I was actually thinking about including **Mark Hamill ** in the OP but if sequels can count (and why shouldn’t they?) he’s not exactly a ONE-hit wonder but more of a one-CHARACTER-wonder. He does actually have three films to his resume.

Carrie Fisher I wouldn’t consider a OHW due to her work cited by What Exit ? above.

And muchas gracias to Rodgers01 for restating the rules about no IMDB’ing in this thread. Also, we will continue to observe the no-crossover-to-TV as a qualifying exception.
Carry on.

How about Ione Skye from Say Anything? I think I’ve seen her around here and there, but she never really had another big role like that as far as I know.

This is weird, but a friend of a friend saw her in the 80’s in Twyla Tharp’s Dance company in NYC. I think she would be 39 now, so I would guess she teaches dance somewhere. Just a guess. BTW: her name is **Erzsebet Foldi **, I cheated and got that from IMDB which has no Bio/Trivia on her.

Jim

Yeah, I went back and cheated too! All That Jazz was her only credited role!

So, do I win? She was definitely a one-hit wonder, if we’re only talking about movies and TV! :wink:

Four. He was the gamble-holic son in Parenthood.

Time to start a Tom Hulce Appreciation Thread???

Hell yeah! What about Dominic & Eugene?

:slight_smile:

She was in the Rachel Paper’s but maybe this funny little movie is too obscure. She was in Gas, Food and Lodging but that stunk. Does anyone remember the 80’s teen cult classic River’s edge? She was the main living girl in that one.
BTW she is the daughter of Donovan, 60’s Scottish Folk Rock star described as the British Dylan. (His big songs were Mellow Yellow, Sunshine Superman and Jennifer Juniper among others).

Damn I know my 80’s starlets but that was when I was in my Teens and Young Twenties and went to way to many movies.

BTW: Rachel Paper were really quirky and good. Came out around 87 or 88 I think. The lead looked like a young Nerdy Mick Jagger. (It was a British movie)
Come to think of it. He was great in that movie and I never saw him again.
Off to IMDB: …

He is Dexter Fletcher, it looks like he has been working steadily and I just never noticed him. Funny I know all the pretty girls and I can’t remember a goofy name like Dexter Fletcher. I wonder why? :smiley:

One more **Mia Sara ** was the incredible beautiful Princess Lilly in Legend (The Tom Cruise unicorn movie that I love for some reason) She made several “B” movies after this in the late 80’s where she did many nude scenes. One was with the almost always awful Lou Diamond Phillips. She was the Young wife of some crazy back woodsmen.
Oh, she was the wife in Time Cop with Jean Claude Van Damme. So yes her promising career did evaporate.
I think Legend was filmed before Ferris Bueller but released after.

Jim

Well, considering his performance was so bad that all his lines had to be redubbed by another actor, it was unlikely he’d ever get another role, anyway.

In a similar position was George Lazenby. While his On His Majesty’s Secret Service is a well-regarded James Bond films, he had to content himself with minor roles thereafter.

Linda Manz was spectacular in Days of Heaven, but her career went nowhere.

IIRC, he also starred in a movie called something like “The Projectionist,” which, though unseen by me, and I think generally unremembered, is supposed to be one of the best movies about Stalinism ever made.

Plus my old piano teacher’s husband knew him in college. So I’m three degrees removed from him – which makes y’all four degrees removed, if you count internet aquantainces.

Sure, I appreciate him. Not to mention that we’ll probably see lots of references to “Amadeus” this year given Mozart’s 250th… :smiley:

Likewise with Paul Hogan. Has he done anything of note other than play “Crocodile Dundee” and the stereotype Aussie in those travel commercials?

Holy cow, I remember that one now! It was phenomenal! Please go rent it!

If anyone starts a Tom Hulce thread, maybe make it an Animal House cast thread.

Peter Reigert (Boon) is a great character actor who starred in one of my favorite movies, Local Hero, Surprised me by taking Carl Malden’s role in the Made of TV remake of Gypsy and has shown up in dozens of films and is always good, even if the film is not. (also got beat up by Tony Soprano).

Kevin Bacon is Kevin Bacon, pretty great career.

Bruce McGill: {D-Day}played Ralph Houk in *61 and dozens of other supporting roles over the year. He was the Golf Pro in Vagger Bance. Etc.

Karen Allen {Sweet Katy}: Went on to Raiders of the Lost Ark, Starman, Until September, Scrooged and a lot more.

even Neidermeyer went on to be the Maaestro on Seinfeld and the Master on Buffy,

‘Flounder’ had a major role on Babylon 5

Oh, I think I recall seeing that Professor around somewhere also, or maybe it was his son. :wink:
[RIGHT]Donald Sutherland of course. [/RIGHT]

Jim

Mark Hamill never topped Luke Skywalker, but he’s done a lot since. He does a lot of voiceover work, too, including a memorable bit playing himself on The Simpsons. He is the voice of the Joker in the various latter-day Batman cartoons.

Tom Hulce was also in the film Parenthood which had an ensemble cast. He was the youngest child of Jason Robards and the two actors share one of the best moments in the film. But, yeah, he never really matched Amadeus.

Did Bud Cort do anything interesting in movies other than Harold And Maude?

He was God’s injured body in Dogma. That’s all I have on him. I am sure there is more.

Jim

What about Karen Allen from Raiders of the Lost Ark? I loved that movie and she was great in it, but what else did she do?

And a wonderful little film called Echo Park with Susan Dey.

Sez you. I love Gas, Food Lodging. It’s small and quirky, and features Brooke Adams, Fairuza Balk and Ione Skye, not to mention James Brolin (swoon) and Ione’s poppa, Donovan Leitch. It was directed by Allison Anders (Mi vida loca, Grace of My Heart and the haunting Things Behind the Sun). It wasn’t in-your-face brilliant, but it’s a sweet little film.
My contribution to the thread is Caitlin Clarke. Her first movie was Dragonslayer, as the girl who pretends to be a boy to avoid the sacrifice lottery. She’s been in various things since then, but never got the roles she deserved.

Also Victoire Thivisol, who gave the performance of a lifetime at age 4, in the heartbreaking Ponette (I still think she deserved an Oscar nom, as bizarre as it may have been*). She had a small role in Chocolat as Juliette Binoche’s daughter, but either she decided that she didn’t like acting after all, or her parents put their feet down and made her stop, or it was decided all around that she’d finish her schooling before resuming acting. Whatever, I do hope she comes back at some point.
*she did win Best Actress at the Venice Film Festival.

Animal House, Starman, Scrooged, The Perfect Storm, In The Bedroom.